Interesting new SRAM stuff

Mark W

Seems that there's some interesting new SRAM stuff coming out in March. Some random shots that have leaked so far. New direct mount rear mech, new chains, new cranks (w/holes and integrated bash setup, also now using a different direct mount interface compared to their old 3-bolt system), new brake levers and calipers...

In case you haven't seen it already the mech is designed to fit directly onto any frame which is based around the UDH system. Pretty sneaky of SRAM to go "Hey, everybody, let's standardise mech hangers so people can go into any shop and buy a new hanger easily", then once that had had wide scale adoption use it to do a direct mount mech. 

The new mechs have a sacrificial style fail point in them so if you twat it super hard then part of the mech will break instead of your frame, with the idea being you can get that replacement bit.

Part of the reason they've gone direct mount was that the electronic mechs have more shifting power in them, and on weaker/flexier frames you wind up with sloppy shifting because basically the hanger/frame twists. With this system it's much stiffer so you should get better shifting.

2668326-178rstqx1e5v-sram-prototyp-les-g

2703152-cek94itaqoav-465872-slorencephot

image-20230127152024-1.jpg

image-20230127152414-1.jpg

image-20230127152620-1.jpg

sram-crank-1.jpg

Check out how wafty those cranks are near the pedal broaching too. Needledick! They have some similarities to the generative design cranks they showed off a little while back so not entirely surprising:

p5pb20647675.jpg

p5pb20647807.jpg

• Like 4

Yeah, definitely going to be spendy!

And yeah, they've gone for bolt-on bashguards now. They've dropped the 3-bolt setup for the Quarq style 8-bolt setup so you can presumably really BIU it up and not have to worry about your direct mount crank interface getting mulched. Jesse Melamed's got the single sided bash seutp on the go on his Canyon, Dan Booker (I think...) has the double sided setup on the Nukeproof.

I have the impression these components are not really develop with crashing people in mind.

The shifters are quite exposed, the cranks as Jamesb noticed seem to be quite harsh for the ankles, the derailleur looks like it want to snap the frame already...

But I never was a fan of SRAM components.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2023 at 3:05 AM, jamesb said:

Everything looks sick except for potential ankle digging on the new XO crank. I ride with my feet hugging the crank sometimes.

Had a look at my current cranks when I went for a ride yesterday:

IMG-8242.jpg

Think I'd need to be getting some mid-tops if I got those SRAM ones!

@La Bourde - the mech has a disengagement system built into the clutch that allows it to move with impacts better than cable-actuated mechs. It's something that's been on AXS mechs since they were first launched and seems to work reasonably well. The new direct mount mech also has a built-in failure point so in effect it kind of has a mech hanger built into it. If that breaks I believe you're then able to replace that one part as it's more of a modular designed mech rather than they normally are.

The point of the direct mount system is in part due to the AXS system. On weaker/flexier frames/dropouts you get poorer shifting because things can just twist when you try shifting. The motors put a fair bit more force through things that a conventional cable actuated setup, seemingly. This direct mount system is stiffer, so rather than just tweaking the frame around it just shifts the chain properly. 

The other bonus of it is that the mech can be redesigned, and can be slimmer, lower profile and have the jockey wheels and lower arm slightly more tucked out the way compared to a conventional mech. It's not being based around a mounting point that's hanging some way below the frame any more, and that allows them to make the overall system better.

Should probably point out there are some big "theoretically"s attached to all that...

• 1 month later...

Pricing has leaked for them now. Excuse the Euro copy/paste job, but holy smokes they are pricey.

2925€ - Sram XXSL T-Type Eagle Transmission Powermeter AXS Groupset
2475€ - Sram XX T-Type Eagle Transmission Powermeter AXS Groupset
2214€ - Sram XXSL T-Type Eagle Transmission AXS Groupset
2205€ - Sram XX T-Type Eagle Transmission AXS Groupset
1800€ - Sram XX T-Type Eagle E-MTB Bosch Transmission AXS Groupset

648€ - Sram XS-1299 T-Type Eagle Cassette
594€ - Sram XS-1297 T-Type Eagle Cassette
432€ - Sram XG-1295 T-Type Eagle Cassette (E-MTB approved)

162€ - Sram XXSL T-Type Eagle HollowPin T-Type PVD Chain With PowerLock
135€ - Sram XX T-Type Eagle HollowPin T-Type PVD Chain With PowerLock

I don't think I could emotionally process snapping a £135 chain, let alone a £160 chain.

• Haha 1