Fusion360 a 3d printer and dorky road bike aero

manuel

So yeah - I finally bought a 3d printer! I got an Ender3 S1 which seems pretty good, also got an enclosure to do things like ABS for slightly more functional stuff, which so far has all printed great (benchys are perfect 😂)

Part of getting a 3d printer is learning some CAD so I've fired up a windows11 section of my ancient MacPro and got fusion360 running. As a proper dorky MAMIL I want to make some storage boxes and other tweaks for the road bike, probably a top box behind the stem for food and something under/behind the saddle for tools so I dont have to have anything in the pockets (which I hate).

First issue... 

Created an airfoil/sketch spline pulled it up into a body then used the same profile (oddly I had to draw a new spline by hand over the original) to split the top section off. Problem now Is I have no idea how to profile that top surface to remove the sharp edges. Anyone with any kind of skill that can give a few pointers?

image.thumb.png.62dfd0f4a50dc8e3e02612ef2dc7774c.png

• Like 1

Managed it with a shonky cut sweep through the top surface but its not great and it would only do parallel not perpendicular for a reason i cant work out 🤣

If anyone has any better ideas....

image.thumb.png.4f44766d4fd664270954ae0cdeb837b7.png

image.png.fa3b8523a07071843af754eaa55dc963.png

?

To be fair, Solidworks can sometimes be a bit picky about what edges can have a radius applied to it and that's sometimes linked to the radius you're trying to use. On a small part it won't let you use a big rad that might remove chunks/features of the model. Try small and then work up towards what you actually want. 

The S1 looks like a good machine. I got an E3 V2 for home a couple of years and have modifed it a bit to include some of the features that come as standard on the S1. Enjoy playing! 

Yeah, fusion gives a proper computer says no to any type of fillet on the top. Possibly doesn't like the pointy end? 

The printer is ace and Griff really likes printing stuff - just need to order a webcam for the octopi setup, when we are abs-ing. Oh and find a permanent spot on the wall for it, and probably design a better enclosure than the one o got that is the size of a house.

• Like 1

Yeah maybe try adding a small radius to the trailing edge first then in a separate operation add the rad to the top edge? Just to prove the theory!

I've got an enclosure for the V2 and because the reel's on top it makes it huge- I had to chop down the Ikea unit it sits on so that it would be low enough to go under the wall cabinets in the utility room!

We've got an Ultimaker 2+ at work and it's really small and compact (head moves in both x and y on rails so the whole bed just moves up within it's footprint) and the material is just hanging off the back so the height isnt impacted beyond the bowden tube and the depth is only ~80mm deeper because of the reel.

11 minutes ago, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

I joined a 3D printing group on Facebook and it really worries me that it's literally full of grown men printing Star Wars and Ironman helmets for them to wear. Virtually none of them are using their printers for anything useful whatsoever. 

There is a lot of vanity out there, but I wouldn't worry tooooo much. I think it's largely that the people who make stuff with a purpose typically feel less need to show it off.
I've usually only really seen people making practical stuff online in threads like this. "Here's what I'm working on. It's not working. Please help."

• Like 1

I made a cyclic trimmer mechanism to make my joystick behave more like a trimmed helicopter cyclic control - basically I took a 400 quid joystick and stopped it returning to centre until I pulled a lever (old spare HS33 blade was utilised - even had a working TPA!),  integrated cam locks so I can set the stick to be free return to centre as normal if desired for flying fixed wing aircraft.

image.png.7963b43f89b5ef2e143e8cd79e34786e.png

Worked something like this VVVVV

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8jwYzQ9qtAUx57faA

• Like 3

I'll admit that I didn't model the grip itself, I was going to (to check clearances with the HS33 lever) then I found that one on thingiverse; everything else is me though :)
That's only a tiny little model, we're up to 60k components at work at times :D

• Like 1

Might sound like a stoopid question but…

If I’m modelling something to make on the printer, for example a replacement Ashton seat…. My general tactics as an absolute noob is to just create a solid body and slice it up with mirrored cuts to reduce it down to the right shape. Add some fillets and hollow it out. Feels like there must be a better way but drawing/extruding the shape from scratch seems beyond me, due to how all the sections create interesting shapes. Any advice? 

In solidworks I would use a loft with multiple profiles and possibly guide curves if needed, I have no idea if fusion has such functionality though.

I created two random shaped sketches on two planes and then lofted one to the other, add multiple layers of sketches to better control the shape.

image.thumb.png.04fd026b98952109a356e90d0feabd56.png

Can then use the shell command to remove the bottom and two end faces to make a tunnel.

image.png.d17c5505734ee19642f9fd75b39737bc.png

Edited by forteh
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

Just to dig this back up I installed Fusion 360 the other day from work to see if I could use it to help make STLs into solid files (not managed that yet) but in the meantime have found it has a funky 'generative design' function which allows you to define basic geometry, loading and let the software organically build a suitable structure for you. I think I may have a new favourite thing...

image.png.12610c8bd0e02ae218a22806285aebb1.png

And yes, that was taken in Solidworks after exporting and opening a step file!

• Like 2

My cyclic trimmer transmogrified a few times, it's now an electromagnetic driven mechanism with linear bearings, linkages, bell cranks and gubbinsâ„¢

image.thumb.png.284e7998dbd3627652e633aba7e8059a.png

image.thumb.png.fe16b3cc3951f0c46593503ae1ba500c.png

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MXFNdrngtVby56GY9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QwihCYJ2a3Y6hBFv8

Stick is sprung to a centre point on both axis, pull the lever and it disengages the magnet enabling the spring units to slide on the linear bearing.  Release the lever to engage the magnet and set a new centre point from which it will spring again.

Works really well :)

• Like 4

Other things, following my introduction to cycling through 12" deep clay mud during this CX season I have discovered that my frame clogs up really easily in certain situations.

image.thumb.png.5386eb7648cfa27382d48b289a436ecc.png

That was after 2.5 laps, I had a DNF because I tore my tricep.

Trying to remove such mud by hand during a race simply makes a mess everywhere and takes forever around the BB because the combination of mud, gravel and grass makes a fine analog for reinforced concrete :(

A muc off claw makes such a task a few seconds job though, they're a pig to carry in a jersey pocket though...

image.png.c5a8cbc01ee65f2c39189f674e02c600.png

image.thumb.png.87019a18fe86693bfd64e21b26ad9ccb.png

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zUnpjurPB67uHcqm7

Need to cut a row of bristles off but it works awesome, can scrape the front tyre on the move or completely clear the bottom bracket in about 15 seconds :)

• Like 3

Talk nicely to our resident wind tunnel manager? :D
I'm not sure that such software is free (via legal means) and my experience of FEA/CFD is that the information coming out is very reliant on the information going in being good.

I wonder if I can corroborate our empirical fluid head loss testing from the 60s with an openfoam simulation based upon our current solid models?🤔

Obviously far more important things to do with my time at work though :D

Edited by forteh

On 1/13/2024 at 11:19 AM, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

OpenFOAM is the free, open source meshing and CFD program of choice but it won't be a 5 minute job to learn how to get something sensible from it I don't think!! I could ask Renan at work to do some cases for you if you wanted though, Rowan.

Thanks Dave, no need to drag anyone else into it 🤣, its more a "if I can I will" for my own curiosity and just to get an idea for the amount of difference small changes might make. When you are old and you only average 200watts per ride a 10W saving is pretty big.