Youth is wasted on the young - Street Trials Interview

IanJohnstone

Really enjoyed that @IanJohnstone, as a fellow 40 something who has always been in and out of trials since I was teenager, some of it resonates nicely about why you should just get out and do it, looking at it with a different lens being older - though the body giving out is the shadow hanging over!

Edited by Brettoll
  • Like 2

Nice little edit that, a few years behind you at 35 but can relate to what you were saying. Had a bit of an epiphany recently after reading a book called dopamine nation in relation to riding for me. Although ive kept up riding over the years i find myself going through the motions sometimes and that book reminded what I enjoy about it which is pushing yourself and the progress, the older I've got the less i lean into pushing myself which I've now come to understand is why i likely dont take the same enjoyment from it, short summary is i now know to continue to push myself when it comes to riding if i want to take pleasure from it. That doesnt necessarily mean going as big as i did in my twenties but just push the body and capability i now have. I felt that sentiment come through in the edit which its taken me a long time to realise!!

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Ian, you're still a young man at 41! Keeping the Trials going in your life and maintaining the associated fitness is all benefits. The fact that you're not doing what is average for your age is proof to keep doing it! Aim for better than average and you'll enjoy better than average outcomes in life.

Counter to that is the philosophy from our youths to be continually performing better. This can be a source of motivation for a time but as we enter our 40s it becomes a burden likely to kill off our participation. I think it's about allowing ourselves a decline in performance. Like I tell myself with my running, replace the competition with community, and change the metrics of performance from, in the case of trials, rather than how high you can up or gap to just acknowledging the achievement of a physical ride for a certain period of time. Keeping that longevity and fun going.

We need these connections to our youth to keep us feeling fulfilled and I've come to realise that the threshold to be better than average is low. Studies have shown that 95% of people over 30 will never sprint again! A healthy man has many wishes, a sick man only one.

• Like 3

On 2/29/2024 at 4:38 PM, Heatsink said:

Hi Ian, you're still a young man at 41! Keeping the Trials going in your life and maintaining the associated fitness is all benefits. The fact that you're not doing what is average for your age is proof to keep doing it! Aim for better than average and you'll enjoy better than average outcomes in life.

Counter to that is the philosophy from our youths to be continually performing better. This can be a source of motivation for a time but as we enter our 40s it becomes a burden likely to kill off our participation. I think it's about allowing ourselves a decline in performance. Like I tell myself with my running, replace the competition with community, and change the metrics of performance from, in the case of trials, rather than how high you can up or gap to just acknowledging the achievement of a physical ride for a certain period of time. Keeping that longevity and fun going.

We need these connections to our youth to keep us feeling fulfilled and I've come to realise that the threshold to be better than average is low. Studies have shown that 95% of people over 30 will never sprint again! A healthy man has many wishes, a sick man only one.

I really like that comment. I just want to add that getting better at riding while getting old is something very difficult, and having fun for the most time is the priority. But as a human being, you're not only defined with your ability to ride a bike. Getting wiser and better is important too. My father is 68 or so and can still climb 8 grades climbing routes but is a total ass as a human, being emprisoned in his lies and regrets. Sport doesn't make all of yourself!

• Like 1