Pad Reviews

Mark W

Pads: Try-all croco

Time used: App: 2-3 weeks

Rim used: Neon rim

Grind: Sharp grind

Brake used: hs33 08

What is your opinion of a working brake: Holds on anything and has a bit of noise

previous pads you have used: Coust/plaz/heatsink pad/echo/rock pads/kox blue/koxx brown

Review: I think the Pads are rubish doesnt hold at all.I set them up square on the rim the magura was brand new from tarty and a fresh grind.

Edited by ToMhIlL131

Pads: Rock Pads (Blue)

Time used: ~10 hours

Rim used: Try-All

Grind: Medium

Brake used: Rear Magura HS-33, Water Bleed

Booster: Adamant 4bolt

What is your opinion of a working brake: Bite and hold.. lots of it!

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: They are the best I've tried so far

Review: I've used yellow viz, green zoo and koxx brown pads, and I have to say that the Rock pads are the best of all these.. Atleast for my setup!

They give me both good bite and hold, and are, for me.. probably compareable to the koxx browns, but with better bite. :)

Pads: Koxx blues

Time used: A few days riding- so about 12-15 hours.

Rim used: V!Z

Grind: Medium but pretty crap(I didn't so it, someone did it for me)

Brake used: 2004 magura, standard hosing, water bleed, 06 pitbull frame

Booster: None

What is your opinion of a working brake: Fantastic bite and immense hold- and a bit of noise just gives me confidence.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: They actually work in the wet, so I won't have to hibernate!!!! haha

Review: In the dry, they're not as good as my old compound plazzies, but they still work brilliantly. But in the wet, they out perform most pads I've ever tried, they give a nice swooshing sound and a small but nice high pitched squeal and the bite and hold is the same as in the dry!! :o

Pads: Rock Pads (Blue)

Time used: ~2 hours

Rim used: planet-x bmf

Grind: Medium

Brake used: Rear Magura HS-33, oil

Booster: RB 4bolt

What is your opinion of a working brake: Bite and hold.. shit loads

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: They are the best I've tried so far, as good as plaz crm's on V's and seem to be fine in the wet as well

Light grind and just replaced the v's with maggies (with an adamant cnc lever)... TartyBikes delivered Rock Blues and they are brilliant. I am running a booster, and a very fine touch of tar and get a nice squeak and by feck do they lock up!! Been riding in the rain today and no change, work perfectly.

Edited by r2wtrials

Pads: New(?) Plazmatic CRMs

Time used: 2 weeks worth of riding

Rim used: 26" Revell rear rim

Grind: Fresh, sharp, medium grind.

Brake used: Old style maggie with adamant mounts in a Zhi Z2 frame (water bled and a bodged TPA :P )

Booster: None (and a flexy frame!)

What is your opinion of a working brake: Amazing bite (and honk!) in dry and really wet conditions. The hold is reasonable as well, but in the wet it does slip slightly under extreme load (i.e. When you're just on the corner of a wall etc.) Not running a booster means you can feel the frame flexing through the lever (slightly spongey), but improves bite in my opinion. Running a booster would probably increase hold in the wet conditions too.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: This brake setup is second only to the older plazmatic CRV pads in metal backings in an avid ultimate, which I used to run. Far better than the Rimjam blues I used to use, and they beat my rear BB7 for bite and hold, hands down. Definitely better than the old style ZOO! pads I used to run on a smooth rim with tar back in the day, especially in the wet!

Pads: Koxx blues

Time used: A few days riding- so about 12-15 hours.

What is your opinion of a working brake: Fantastic bite and immense hold- and a bit of noise just gives me confidence.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: They actually work in the wet, so I won't have to hibernate!!!! haha

Review: In the dry, they're not as good as my old compound plazzies, but they still work brilliantly. But in the wet, they out perform most pads I've ever tried, they give a nice swooshing sound and a small but nice high pitched squeal and the bite and hold is the same as in the dry!! :o

get a sharp grind on your rim, will be the best brake in dry and wet you'll ever have

Pads: Try-All Croco

Time used: 3 Deccent Rides

Rim used: 19" Echo Rear, 20" Try-all Front

Grind: Fresh, sharp, medium grind on both

Brake used: New style maggies with adamant mounts,no boosters and water bled on both brakes

What is your opinion of a working brake: Brake works without fail no matter what, has a nice load honk!!

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: These are without doubt the best pads i have ever used on the rear anyway, work mint in the dry and wet nice load honk, work 100x better than my previouse pads coust in cnc backings, heatsink reds in cnc backings, Heatsink Snowies ,koxx browns,koxxgreens,rock pad blues,old zoo! pads, Rim Jam reds,Rim Jam Greens, Rim Jam V3 and loads more!!! The Try-All Crocos also work ok on the front but not aswell as i would like them to...... will have to try another set of pads as this is the first time I have ran dual maggie any one got any ideas???? Thanks Tom

Pads: Toxsin Pink Pads

Rim used: Ronnie

Grind: Yes, but not fresh

Brake used: 2002 Magura, two steel boosters, water bleed

What is your opinion of a working brake: Good bite and good lock up with all your weight jumping on the pedal.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Comparable to Plaz CRM and Bloxx Reds

Review: Yeah, not bad. I got them free with my frame years ago, so thought I'd give them a go. Havn't tried them in the wet yet.

will have to try another set of pads as this is the first time I have ran dual maggie any one got any ideas????

Cousts on the front, REALLY light but really sharp grind, will work a treat in all weather!

Pads: Grant Pads

Time used: About 8 hours

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Utterlyyyy shit! In the dry, they're shite. In the wet' it's like there's no pad even there!

Review: So shit. Don't even go there!

• 2 weeks later...

Pads: Inspired Vee Pads (Fat Versions)

Time used: App: 3 months

Rim used: echo front & trialtech front

Grind: smooth

Ceraminc: No

Brake used: V

What is your opinion of a working brake: BITE, LOCK, HONKKKKKK

previous pads you have used: plaz crv,crm,koxx red,snowies, koxx blue, rock pads, echo, zoo eect ect

Review: set them up sqaure as poss and they dont even need to bed in, the most bitey brake youl ever own FACT, bitta tar, HONKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

think im going to go rear v with these pads wen it gets dry again! :)

• 1 month later...

Pads: coust CNC

Time used: App: 2 months

Rim used: echo 07 rear

Grind: medium /sharp

Ceraminc: No

Brake used: 04 magura w. rb blade w. echo team booster

What is your opinion of a working brake: loads of hold, bit of bite

previous pads you have used: plaz pmg,koxx red, koxx brown, koolstop, heatsink xmas, zoo eect ect

Review: awesome pads really, when set up well with a fresh grind , they're near deafening with a ridiculous amount of bite. Not as good hold as my koxx browns in my opinion, but good non the less.l Wear rate is noticable, and definitely faster than the browns. My only criticsm is they just dont seem to hold backwards which is most annoying :(

Right could someone tell me the difference in the old ZOO! pads and the new please, do they look different or anything and whats the different in performance ?

they look pretty similar, i think the new ones are slightly darker in pigmentation, but the hold on the old ones is far,far better than the new apparently

Anyone got the new PhatPads in the CNC backings? Just bought a set, apparantly they're amazing from what I've heard but I just wondered if anyone had any of the new ones yet?

Yeah I have a set, same compound as before, so everyone knows they're amazing.

The new backings are slimmer than the heatsinks which allow a wider rim be used with more pad material as a lot of people had to sand some of the material off to use in heatsink backings.

Edited by Bob Fossil

I've got a Kot MS2 frame with a 47mm rim, so with my brothers maggy I've borrowed with Tensile mounts, the slaves are about 6-8mm in from their furthest out position, but the pads are powerpad backings with about 3-4mm of pad left, so I think it will be tight. :S

I'm getting offset mounts anyway, theres not a lot more I can do haha.

• 1 month later...