Pad Reviews

Mark W

Pads: Rock Blue

Time used: Since December 27th

Rim used: Alex DX32

Grind: Medium sharp

Brake used: Magura HS-33 2004, Standard maggy hosing, water bleed, no booster

Previous used pads: Plaz crms, heatsink Xmas pads, Zoo pads old style, koxx blue, brown, red, yellow and green.

Review:

I ground my rim, Medium sharp grind, Set these pads up, spot on. Spun my wheel and pressed the brake, My dad come outside and asked me if someone had been shot...I goes no, thats my brake. You guessed it. Mega grabby and bitey, STUPIDLY loud. So i went out for a ride and i've never ridden with a brake like it, I was so confident, i purposely landed right on the edge of everything to test these pads to the max, did they slip ? Nope not at all. I wouldn't say they matched my Old style Zoo pads on a smooth but no brake set up will ever do that. Overall 2nd best brake pad in the world.

100% recommend them. I've just got a sponsorship from Necopads, so once they come through, Ill ride em and give you a review :)

Danny.

• 2 weeks later...

Pads: phat pads

Time used: few days

Rim used: echo 07

Grind: shit

Brake used: hs33

Previous used pads: lots

Review: used them in plastic backings for a couple of days, crap bite, good hold, horrible squealing noise

Put them in cnc backings and they are insane, bedded in straight away, really loud (gets annoying quite quickly) bites and holds very well indeed and havent shown any signs of wear.

best pads performing pads I've ever used, yet to try them in wet though but ive only heard good things

Anyone used the adamant pads or Heatsink reds in power backingss the £6 ones?

my mate has some addamant ones, they have alot of bite and sound prety crazy, but the hold isn't the greatest, still good for the price. i liked myheatsink reds when i had some powerpad backinged ones, lots of noise and bite, bit shit for hold [i'm a tanker thogh]

Pads: Neco Reds

Time used: 2 Hours

Rim used: Kris Holm 07

Grind: No, Anodised rim surface

booster: Nope

Brake used: Magura HS33 2004, Standard plastic hosing, magura slaves, water bleed

Previous used pads: zoo pads, koxx reds, blue, green, brown, yellow, heatsink reds, plaz crms,

Review: This has gotta be said, only been out riding with them for 2 hours and there f**king unreal, seriously, loud as f**k, grabby as fook, hold like a bitch, everything. Gonna make a little video of them in testing for everyone cause there that good. 100% recommend.

Danny.

anyone got / know anyone who's got or used a pair of maggie pads for a fiver?

i found these pads on ebay and there only £6.50 posted, wondering if they're gonna be any good, doesn't matter if they don't really last long as they're so cheap i'd buy like 3 pairs at a time, but before i get a pair just wondering if anyone has used them yet? cheers...

i'd like to know the difference between the green ones and the red ones, (other than the colour) i've asked the sell, just waiting for a reply. i'm quite tempted ot buy a pair of both

edit: just bought a pair of green ones, i'll set them up and let you know how they are in the new 2 weeks or so...

just got a reply from the seller of these pads;

"Hello, ill let you into a bit of insider knowledge. If you go onto tarty bikes and look at their pads, all but 2 of them are made in the same factory as mine. some are 3 times the price, but I am not a trial rider, so I am not sure of the properties of the compound. Try them if you dont like them send them back, even if you have used them"

Edited by mike

Pads: Heatsink Red CNCs

Time used: 2 hours so far

Rim used: Tryall

Grind: Yes - very dull and dead though, a slight smear of tar aswell but Im not going to reapply that.

Ceraminc: No

Brake used: Magura with RB lever and echo control booster (water bleed)

What is your opinion of a working brake: A brake that locks on and holds without needing to put stupid force through the lever.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Rimjam greens - same bite and hold as the reds but the rimjams wore down in 4 hours :( Koxx browns - no bite or hold compared to the reds but have lasted for years :D

Review: The pads work straight away, no bedding in with instant bite and hold - exactly how a brake should work :) Only a slight honk but Im running the booster on a hifi frame which is pretty stiff anyways. I will be able to comment on wear rate when Ive ridden some more with them. For 6 quid a refill you cant go wrong (Y)

Pads: Rock blue's

Time used: 1 hour

Rim used: Echo 05

Grind: sharp light grind

Brake used: Magura HS33 2005, Standard plastic hosing, magura slaves, water bleed

Previous used pads: zoo pads, koxx reds, heatsink reds, rock greens, onza citrus, echo greens,heatsink blues, plaz crms, koolstops, magura blacks, Old Zoo Pads, Old Plaz Pads, Plaz Pmg.

Review:

These pads are the best pads ever!, bitey as f**k, hold sooo well, defoo recomend getting some (Y)

Edited by Mod-Mike

Pads: Heatsink Xmas pads

Time used: 1 hour

Rim used: Echo 05

Grind: sharp light grind

Brake used: Magura HS33 2005, Standard plastic hosing, magura slaves, water bleed

Previous used pads: zoo pads, koxx reds, heatsink Blues, rock greens, onza citrus, echo , plaz crms, koolstops, magura blacks.

Review:

These pads are the Great ,Not very good hold but had amazing Bite, But with abit off Tar worked amazing

--------------------

Pads: adamant pads

Time used: 2 weeks

Rim used: try all

Grind: Yes and No

Ceraminc:No

Brake used: Magura new style

What is your opinion of a working brake: a brake thats loud, holds really well without much pressure and a good bite

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: the wankiest pads ive ever had

Review: first i had them on a smooth rim, no hold, no sound, no bite. grinded the rim a week later, had a bit of hold, no bite, loud for a start but this died quick, lost about 2mm of pad over the last week on a light grind. overall: i wouldnt advise these pads. 100% no no!

Pads: Neco Yellow's

Time used: 30minutes

Rim used: Viz 05

Grind: Dead

Ceraminc: Little bit of tar from 2 days ago

Brake used: Magura 05 water bleed

What is your opinion of a working brake:Good bite and hold

How do they compare to previous pads you have used:f**king great.

Review:

The tits of a break. Set my pads up and away I went, Great hold and bite going forward but not that good going backwards.

Great sound aswell

Pads: £5 Green Trials Polymer Compound pads

Time used: 2 hours

Rim used: monty?

grind: fresh that day

Brake used: Magura 04 water bleed

What is your opinion of a working brake:Good bite and hold not noisy!

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: better bite, but no hold at all.

review: good if you only want to stop or slow down from roling, not good to catch you from a gap or lunge, what can i expect from a £5 pad? i did a small gap and landed on the back wheel, my bike just came out from under me and left me on my back and elbow (N) they're the sort of pad you put on your bike if your trying to sell it wuith working breaks, and you don't have any old ones. wouldn't reccomend anyone wastes their money on them, they're worn down loads already too, only ridden with them for half an hour. (N) (N) (N)

Well today I got Heatsink Reds, and they were alot better than what people have said about them, I HIGHLY advice these pads, I was using them on a dead grind, and in wet weather, and I could swear it felt like I was riding a disk on the rear!

HEATSINK REDS FOR THE WIN

Johny!

I take back what I said, One dislikes these bads now...very much!

Pads: £5 Green Trials Polymer Compound pads

Time used: 2 hours

Rim used: monty?

grind: fresh that day

Brake used: Magura 04 water bleed

What is your opinion of a working brake:Good bite and hold not noisy!

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: better bite, but no hold at all.

review: good if you only want to stop or slow down from roling, not good to catch you from a gap or lunge, what can i expect from a £5 pad? i did a small gap and landed on the back wheel, my bike just came out from under me and left me on my back and elbow (N) they're the sort of pad you put on your bike if your trying to sell it wuith working breaks, and you don't have any old ones. wouldn't reccomend anyone wastes their money on them, they're worn down loads already too, only ridden with them for half an hour. (N) (N) (N)

I tried a set of these and they are identical to zoo pads, very good on smooth rims but not too clever on a grind.

Edited by huge

Why the change of heart? I do prefer Coust material. Its just a bit better than Red material. Reds are very good though. Just lack a bit of everything. Main thing is bite and noise.

Well a couple of days, I said i really liked it, it just didnt work, and tryed a new grind, but still it didnt work, and with preformance like that, its jsut crap, So Im back to using Rock pads blues, again! lol!

Pads: Koxx Reds

Time used: Nearly a year

Rim used: Echo 07

Mod/Stock: Stock (07 pure)

Grind: Yes

Brake used: 2004 Magura, braided hose, no booster

Previously used pads: Zoo, Joypads, magura red / black, Gu, Planet X sticky, Plazmatics

By far the best all round pads I've ever used. They have very good bite and hold in the dry and reasonable hold in the wet.

They've been used on the same rim with light, sharp and heavy grinds and seem to work best on sharp grinds.

The wear rate is outstanding considering my grind is comparable to a badgers arse.

Edited by huge

Pads: neco reds.

Time used: 2 weeks.

Rim used:try all

Grind: No

Brake used: magura standard hosing etc, no booster on a t-pro frame.

What is your opinion of a working brake:good bite, hold barley any effort to pull and something you can hear working.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used:the best pads ive used to be honest.ive tried atomz pads,zoo! pads,magura reds ,blacks and browns.and they dont even compare to this.

Review:as soon as i got them i went out and rode even before they bedded in they were loads better then any of those pads i used, they offered great hold, great bite, but not to much modulation this didnt bother me though. the wear life is also pretty darn good they have worn down around 1 mm when i first had them but that was because my brake was set up shit and was rubbing.they also make a nice honk when they bite so you can really tell there working and gives you that added confidence definetly a pad i will be buying again!

Edited by 0zzy

Pads: Atomz Pads, found here.

large_atomzpads.jpg

Time used: 2 months

Rim used: Try-all (no sidewall paint)

Mod/Stock: Mod

Grind: No

Brake used: 2005 Magura, plastic hosing, RB booster, HEN metal TPA, C'zar lever, power pad backings.

Previously used pads: Zoo!, Magura red's / black's / brown's, Fibrax, Adamant, Neco reds.

Utterly amazing! From when I first put them on (and they hadn't bedded in yet) I thought they were good then, but about a day later they bedded in and everything got alot better. They offered modulation and 'feathering', they had locked amidiatly, and held so much better than the Zoo! Pads I had previously tryed. They just outstanded me, and helped me progress faster (I had just got back into things, after breaking my foot). They just gave me confidance!

2 months on, they have worn by 2mm on one side, and 2.5mm on the other - pretty good for a 'smooth rim' pad, considering they started at 7mm. The only thing is as they have worn, a black layer forms over the pad - which decreases the proformance! But this stuff comes off easily with the use of my nail, its just annoying that it gets there in the first place.

The only other pad I've tried that compare to these are the Neco Reds, but the Neco's do not offer alot modulation but in turn lock slightly faster - they both have the same hold, but the Neco's wear faster.

All in all they're my favourite pads so far :D

Pads: heatsinks reds cnc'd backings

Time used: 1 week

Rim used: try all

Grind: Yes (light)

Brake used: Magura

What is your opinion of a working brake: a brake that is loud, bites really quick and has a really good hold.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: previos pads: atomz. citrus's (x4), koxx browns, adamant,

Review: best pads ive used by far. took a while to bed in on my light grind, so loud which gives me confidence in my brake, amazing bite, amazing hold. downside is that ive been too confident and put 2 dents in my rim these last 2 weeks. (also i only put a miniscule dab of tar on) as far as i can see the pads havnt worn down at all. the cnced backings with a waterbleed also make the brake so solid its so nice. definatly recommend, and with 8 quid refills which you wont have to buy too soon as they will last a fair while, these are 100% yes from me

Neco yellow.

Had since 25th of March.

Got about 1/2mm of pad left each side.

The worst wear of pads Ive ever seen.

Had them on dead grind to start and they hardly worked, Kept slipping, And sliping backwards when pulling up to back wheel, Even on dead grind I lost like 3/4mm of pad.

Got Sharp but light grind Like it says they sould be use on and now I have 1/2mm of pads left.

What can you expect for £8 pads.

Edited by Callum-Luvs-Trials