Pad Reviews

Mark W

Pads: Koxx Greens

Time used:about 10 mins (will edit when had a proper ride)

Rim used: Echo 2007

Grind: Sure thing - Light

Brake used: magura standard hosing etc, Echo booster, Water bled.

What is your opinion of a working brake: Nice and bitey, Shed loads of hold. Nice noise helps

REVIEW: Set up the pads, all square, and hitting at the same time. Had a play in the garden with a few back hops. The seemed to work well. Went and had a play about on a few curbs, Never slipped. So i had confidence in them and moved ion a 6foot gap, pulled it off 1st time, pads just held. dont seem to too bad. Only thing that would make them better is noise, at the moment they make a swooshing noise, but yet there pretty bitey.

They need time to bed in so I will edit when I have had a half decent ride later on to night.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pads: Coustsinks

Time used:Good few weeks

Grind: Sure thing - Light yet sharp

Brake used: Avid SD7 Vee brake, Clark cable. No booster. CNC backing

What is your opinion of a working brake: Nice and bitey, Shed loads of hold. Nice noise helps

Review: These pads are they best pads I have ever use, They tick all the right boxes for me. Never failed once on me. Used them for a good 4 weeks with the same feel through out. No lack of bite and hold when the grind got used. Only thing that I didn't like is that the pads weren;t touching the rim correct. which was a bummer.

Edited by Matthew_Gibson

• 2 weeks later...

Pads: Koxx Greens

Time used: Just over 2 week

Grind: Sure thing - Light. After a week Sharpish still light though

Brake used: magura standard hosing etc, Echo booster, Water bled.

REVIEW: Set up the pads, all square, and hitting at the same time. Had a play in the garden with a few back hops. The seemed to work well. Went and had a play about on a few curbs, Never slipped. So i had confidence in them and moved ion a 6foot gap, pulled it off 1st time, pads just held. dont seem to too bad. Only thing that would make them better is noise, at the moment they make a swooshing noise, but yet there pretty bitey.

They need time to bed in so I will edit when I have had a half decent ride later on to night.

Let them bed in, and about 0.5 to 1mm of material was removed before they got any better. Once they had beded in, they are really nice. Hold is great, bite suffers a little. Sharpend up the grind and its was fine. bit improved loads. and the hold just got better, used them in the wet too and they still held 110%. will be betting another get on these.

Have some Koxx reds to try out next. should be even better (fingers crossed)

Pads: Rock Greens

Time used: 4 months

Rim used: Alex Rim dx 32

Grind: nahhh, bit of tarr

Brake used: magura 2005+ , braided hosing and crossover and a water bleed.

What is your opinion of a working brake: Nice sound, Great bite, lever feel and holds like mad.

REVIEW: AMAZING brake, on a smooth rim in dry they're ace, cant stress how good they are. They hold like a bitch, bite is awesme and the sound is crazy. When I added tar it gave the brake a totally better feel more bite more sound and the best brake I've used so far, deffo recomend as a summer pad.

Pads used before: KOXX BROWNS/ROCK GREENS/MAGURA BLACKS/MAGURA KOOLSTOPS/PLAZMATIC CRM/OLD COMPOUND PLAZ ....

Pads: Heatsink Red CNC

Time used: 5 weeks

Rim used: DOB magnesium

Grind: sharp as a kitchen knife (initially)

Brake used: magura standard hosing, tryall 08 booster, mineral bleed,

What is your opinion of a working brake: decent noise to tell me its working, good bite without using tar

REVIEW: initially was rubbish, i had tarty to rim grind my dob but turns out they used a normal grinding disc for alu rims so it was worn away almost within first hour of riding. initial pad wear went down quick as well, the brake became silent (although it kind of make me sounded smooth and stealthy) it just started to loose bite.

got a 0.8mm grinding disc and gave that a go, apart from the dangerousness of the grinding process itself (magnesium sparks and crazy bits all over the place was immense) the grind worked well. instant bite and noise, although the sharpness went after a few rides due to the thin grinding disc digging into the rim to made 'deeper grooves' all over (pretty hard to explain) it turns out the rim and pad combo still worked a treat, 5 weeks in and bite is still awesome.

only downside of the pad i found was 1 side was made badly, maybe just a 1 off and i was lucky enough to have it, the backing wasn't machined properly where it slots into the cylinder itself so i had to do a bit of filing and smashing to get it in. pad material is top stuff though.

steve

• 1 month later...

Pads: Plaz crms

Time used: 10 minutes lol

Rim used: echo 07

Grind: No

Ceraminc: No

Brake used: Magura

What is your opinion of a working brake: Bitee, holdd and noise is always a confidence booster (Y)

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Amazing if forgot how goos they were

Review:

Set this pads up hitting dead square hitting at the same time, cleaned my rim with white spirit, let it dry and put a dab of tar on, went out the front of my house, Loud as f**k! Tonnes of bite, Heldd like a bitch backwheeling my skip outside my house (Y) truely amazing pads, its doubful weather il use any other pad again (Y)

why doesnt everyone use blackpads with tar then... because thats bullshit

Blacks with tar work very well. Mind you, so does wood. No joke, i've used tar and a piece of tree branch as a pad before... held really well.

Using a grind makes any pads work done' it ?

No

why doesnt everyone use blackpads with tar then... because thats bullshit

Because tar is sticky, dirty, wet weather performance = 0%, and requires the rim to be cleaned after each ride for maximum performance.

Also some pads perform better with a smooth rim over a grind. Take note of the word 'perform'.

Pads: Heatsink reds in Cnc backings.

Time used: 2 months

Rim used: Echo 07 46mm

Grind: Medium

Ceramic: No

Brake used: Magura 05 with plastic hosing and metal 74kings TPA

What is your opinion of a working brake: Good bite and hold?

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Sex on legs

Review: got these pads off a friend and when I looked at them they were abit slanted, so I cut a wee lil bit off to level them out, and my god.

Best brake ever, had pads hitting rim perfectly. Used the pads over the course of the day and they just got better and better.

Defiantly recommend these pads :P

Pads: Phat Pads in CNC backings

Time used: 1 hour

Rim used: Onza Ronnie 38mm

Grind: Light sharp

Brake used: 2004 Magura Raceline, Standard hoseing, Water Bleed, No booster.

What is your opinion of a working brake: Good bite, Extremly loud and awesome hold.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Un-Real.

Review:

Whacked a nice grind on my new rim today. Stuck pads on, Instanly, they were super loud, once fully bedded in, they loose around 1-2mm of compound, but this is no bother, seeing as they come with like 8-10mm of compound. So went out riding, and the performence just kept improving, the bite was becoming more fearce, the noise was getting deffining and the hold was just superb and this is all in an hours riding.

Overall, these are the best pads ever for a grind.

Pads: Plaz Crm

Time used: 30 mins

Rim used: Kris Holm

Grind: Sanded/Smooth

Brake used: 2004 Magura , Standard hoseing, Water Bleed, No booster.

What is your opinion of a working brake: Lots of bite, Stupidly loud and amazing hold.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Best pads i have used by far

Review: Put these pads on, was just going to wear them in, done a gap and found out how much bite and hold they had, Tiny bit off tar, these pads do not slip and have amazing hold and noise :)

Got a few i could put up, havent done for a while!

Pads: Rock pad reds

Time used: 2month

Rim used: onza hog

Grind: light

Brake used: 2005 magura

What is your opinion of a working brake: Lots of bite, and very loud

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Not used many other pads on a grind, but would definatly use again.

Pads: Heatsink coust cnc

Time used: 1 week

Rim used: zhi

Grind: no

Ceramic: yes

Brake used: Avid ultimate, avid sd7 lever and onza adaptors

What is your opinion of a working brake: Loads of hold

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Best pad ive EVER used, loads of hold well worth the money!

Pads: Heatsink xmas pad in cnc

Time used: 1 day

Rim used: zhi

Grind: no

Ceramic: yes

Brake used: RB Lever, Dengura Pistons, Tensile off set mounts

What is your opinion of a working brake: Worked well at first, not loud but had plenty of bite and hold.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Not my favourite pad, but would definatly use again if no other options.

REAR:

Pads: Old style plaz in plastic backings

Time used:few months

Rim used:Alex DX32

Grind: Sanded/dead grind

Brake used: '04 Magura, normal hosing, water bleed, GU booster, Smidgin of tar, bodged TPA

What is your opinion of a working brake: Instant bite, great hold, lots of noise

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Coust in plastic backings on light grind- So much better, more bite, noise and hold!

Review: Great pads, if they still made the old compound, i'd never use anything else. They're not too good when they see some moisture, but i'd highly recommend these for the dry/summer times.

FRONT:

Pads: New Zoo!

Time used: Few months

Rim used: Halo combat

Grind: Dead/smoothed grind

Brake used: '04 Magura, water, TPA bodged

What is your opinion of a working brake: ok bite, good hold!

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Plaz Spanish Fly- Zoo pads can't even compare to Spanish flys, the plazzies are truely the gods of smooth rims

Review: Good pads, not really worth the money, would rather spend my money on some other pad.

Pads: Rock green pads (magura) on rear

Rim used: 24 Bicycles, no grind

Brake used: Magura 05 with plastic hosing.

What is your opinion of a working brake: Good bite and hold

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Same(ish)

Review: A lot of bite, but lacking real hold on big moves. Having said that I am 16 stone, so a lighter rider would probably find them to be ok. They are very noisy as well, which gets right on my tits!

Better pads i've tried are the old Zoo ones, Plazmatics and Monty's. They all have less bite, but better overall hold (and performance in general).

Pads: Rock vee pads (clear) on front

Rim used: Try-All smooth, no grind

Brake used: 2007 XTR vee

What is your opinion of a working brake: Good bite and hold

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Better, impressive power!

Review: f**kING HELL. What a pad! Instant bite and hold with NO modulation. Had to take them off after a while because they are too powerful for a front brake (especially an XTR). These would be ideal for people who do a lot of front wheel moves or for a rear brake. Really dangerous on the front though. They lock up very quickly which resulted in me going over the bars the first time I pulled the brake (no joke).

They are hit and miss pads really, so it all comes down to what your going to use them for really.

Pads: DBrake pads red compound (My own make)

Time used: 1 month

Rim used: onza hog

Grind: light/sharp

Brake used: 2004 magura Water bleed

What is your opinion of a working brake: Great hold and great wear life.

How do they compare to previous pads you have used: Brillant took a few hours to bed in but when they did the brake was just stupid no slip loud noise and

the wear rate wasnt to bad overall. Alex mitchinson is also testing a set out and said that he couldnt believe the hold and noise.