Little Program You Cant Live Without?

rich4130

Just reinstalled windows, thats do Dj Phaze, and now need lots of little programs that do little things to full it back up again, at the moment all I have is anti-virus.

I'd Like:

Media/Music Player - anything recomended?

well anything that you find usuful really.

cheers

rich

Having been a Winamp fan for years and years, when i set up my new shuttle xpc machine I installed it again. For some reason I only heard sound out of my front two speakers when in every other program i got the full 5.1 channels fine (Y)

So I got the latest version of Media Player (10) and its wonderful. Fan of the music library system

Msn messenger 7 is always fun!

Ad aware is invaluable.

dBpowerAMP Music Converter is handy for ripping CDs into mp3s.

Nero works wonders for burning DVDs and CDs

bump. It anys me on other computers, i just move the mouse to the edge of the screen and nothing slides up over it. Have to piss around geting to the desktop. bah. :S  (Y)

Haha, yep, when at uni I always move the mouse to the side, and then realise :(

Right, here we go - this is what I would have on an XP machine...

Anti-Virus - Kaspersky Personal 5.0

Why? It's the best have by far - it can update every hour with new virus definitions... It also scans P2P file transfers - which other have lack.

Chat - GAIM (Gnome AOL Instant Messenger) - an open-source chat program (mutli-platform). Supports: MSN/Yahoo/ICQ/IRC and a whole host of others..... very very good.

Security - Windows Update - get the latest updates, as they are essential (Y)) Get SP2 too - if your key is *cough* blacklisted, then PM me for a genuine one (which works with SP2...)

Music - Winamp or iTunes

File Sharing - Shareaza - the big daddy of all P2P programs on Windows platform

Graphics - Photoshop CS

Spyware Protection - Spybot Search & Destroy - a program highly recommended by many professional websites and magazines. I use it on Windows, and works a charm :()

Internet - FireFox - I don't think I need to say anymore.....

CD/DVD Authoring - Nero Burning Rom - highly praised by many :S)

Defragmentation of Hard Disk - O&O Software Defrag Professional Edition - works far better than the native Microsoft one. Find a serial or something on Google....

Any other applications?

Having been a Winamp fan for years and years, when i set up my new shuttle xpc machine I installed it again.  For some reason I only heard sound out of my front two speakers when in every other program i got the full 5.1 channels fine :(

Same happens on my nforce 2 so you just goto the output plugin and enable hardware acceleration and primary buffer :- and as if by magic all my speakers work :turned:

DJ Phaze, why do you know so much (Y) lol

You'd be supprised how much you know about something when it's been your hobby for years......

Ask yourself random questions about bike - and you'll see what I mean... you'll soon jog your memory about bike facts which you had forgotten....

Like what was the hot Rock Shox product of 1998?

How much Pace Race forks were when they first hit the market?

How wide handle bars used to be, compared to now, etc etc...

When did free-riding and Street start appearing?

And digging around old MTB magazines is fun too - you laugh at the ridiculous price of what was considered *amazing* bleeding-edge technology...

:: Phaze ::

• 1 year later...