Grinding Alternative

Dylan_

Okay, so i've been thinking about grinding my rim... my Local bike shop owner told me not to, because it will weaken it... i know all you guys, or most of you guys use grinds. But i've been thinking, and i tested this out, i found a Wirebrust attachment to a drill, and used that to scruff up my rim, kinda of like a really light grind, i think you casn find these wire brushes in different textures, to make a lighter, or hard grind.

This is a pic of the wire brush

DSCF1430.jpg

and this is my rim after.

DSCF1426.jpg

Personally i think i'm going to use it just so my tar will rub on my rim better, but try it and tell me what you think, If you find out about these wire brushes post about it, if there are other textures or hardnesses.

Edited by Dylan_

I've never used wire brush myself, but I know a few people who have tried.

I worked as well as a grind for about an hour, then just felt a little bit worse than a clean rim.

Grindiong you rim will weaken it, but only slightly, you can put many many grinds on a rim before it becomes noticably weakened by grinding.

Using that wire brush won't do much. Look at the result of the wire brush, then look at this...

gallery_27_7_80716.jpg

Grind wins (Y) It does weaken your rim, but a rim lasts, what... 6 months? Depending how hard you ride. Also a big positive, you're more than likely to have a good working brake which locks up!

Rossi.

Edited by cultiv8ed rossi

Next time i go for a ride i think i'm going to stop into the hardware store and see if they have a harsh wire brush. I am also concerned on pad wear, because my LBS doesn't carry magura style pads... yet... i'm trying to get them to order some in to stock.

untill them i'm gonna see if i can get the wire brush to go deeper, because i just did it quick.

Edited by Dylan_

Whats ur level of riding? grinding a rim will NOT destroy your rim it may weaken it a tiny amount you will not notice, any trialsrider will find a rim wont last him/her a year

Thats just the way things are, stop being such a pussy and use an angle grinder, id rather grind my rim than not ride for 3months over breaking my back due to bad brakes

Point (1) Your LBS doesnt know shit about trials. You NEED a grind if you want a good holding and powerful brake.

Point (2) The wire brushing is crap. Dont waste your energy. Go get a grinder and a disc, and grind the feck out of your rim, then you will have a good brake.

Point (3) Decent maggie pads are a tenner, and they last like 6 months, so stop being a fanny and get the grinder out, there are NO excuses

I think you'd be better off with a clean rim, as that brushed surface won't last too long, and once it's gone it'll be real bad. I wouldn't say you definatly need a ground rim to have a good holding brake, as long as you set the pads up so they hit the rim totally flat, and the rim is clean, with a nice booster, you'll be fine.

Give me a PM, I've got some Heatsink Pads being un-used and I think it'd be better to help someone out who's stuck with cruddy pads, I'll be more than happy to Air-Mail them to you :(

In the mean time though, sand that off or get yourself a grinder, I've found a Stone Cutting disc (though they're a load of different types, Metal Grinding/Cutting, Masonary Cutting/Grinding etc) to give a nice sharp grind.

You NEED a grind if you want a good holding and powerful brake.

Da f**k? Havn't you said that before and had about a hundred people bit into you for talking bollocks?

Smooth rim + black pads, works incredibly well when set-up properly and clean

Smooth rim + Plaz pads, again works very well.

You NEED a grind if you want a good holding brake in the WET, not neccessarily true in dry weather though....

I finished using a harder brush, made deeper scratches, after it wear off i'll grind, or if i don't like it i will grind. I'm nort worried about waisting my time, it was a snowstorm today, so i had a day off school, so i'm really board sitting home not doing anything. I already waxed my snowboard once.

Smooth rim + black pads, works incredibly well when set-up properly and clean

Thats probably THE funniest thing ive ever heard! lol

I dont even have to justify what Im about to say, its just a fact:

"No it does not!!!"

That brake ^^^ would work on a bike used for general riding or light XC etc, it does NOT hold up on a trials bike. If you want a brake that will always work its best, you need a grind. The most powerful brake without a grind, is not as powerful as the best brake with a grind. Sorry!

I have seen black pads on a clean rim work very well. But only iftherim has only just been cleaned with muck off or equivelent and its not raining.

At same time I'm now running a chrome rear rim, with magura red pads and thats just sick, much better than any grind I have felt.

as far as i know, Andy P is the only person in trials history who has made black pads work with a smooth rim! :) but seriously, what's with all this "cleaning you rim with jif", "using a wire brush attachment", "scraping it with a file" crap? just get a fecking grinder! they cost about £15 and i've never heard of someone destroying their rim due to running a grind! :blink: if you don't want a really grabby rear brake, just give it a light grind :)

what's with all this "cleaning you  rim with jif", "using a wire brush attachment", "scraping it with a file" crap? just get a fecking grinder! they cost about £15 and i've never heard of someone destroying their rim due to running a grind! :blink: if you don't want a really grabby rear brake, just give it a light grind :)

Woop woop! Get down to B&Q, then grind away boys :)