Drill My Rim

Mark W

Well, I was supposed to be buying a Ronnie drilled rim from JTM, but it turned out I was the mong this time 'cos it was the wrong spoke hole drillage for my rear hub (32 rim, 36 hub). Anyway, I wanna drill my rim (as many do), and I'm a bit lost as to where to start.

What sort of bits am I best off using? What size (for a DX-32 rear and whatever the hell the Alex DX front rim it is) is best? Do I need to disassemble the rear wheel to do it?

If anyone's got any hints, tips (I'd settle for tits), that'd be great.

Mark.

1st point , no point in it really......

2nd :

drill from the outside inwards.

3rd :

drill a smole hole first (a pilot hole)

4th :

dont go silly with it

5th :

make sure its all neat when you finished because there will be bits everywhere inside the rim and the floor, lol

have fun,

Spoonz (N)

I find a decent hole cutter works better than a drill bit.

first drill a pilot hole to guide the drill bit in the hole cutter.

Then finnish the job by cutting the holes with the hole cutter.

I recken about 20mm or 22mm holes would be good in the back, maybe 13-15mm in the front.

You dont need to dimantal the wheel, just do it from the out side to inside.

dont forget to get rid of the burrs with a fine or sand paper.

hope that helps

Drilling from the Inside out is the best way, i know it means de-building the wheel but u get a MUCH tidier hole, this is because it is where the hole saw is starting its cut, and not ripping through as it finnishes. This works well with stock rims because the rim fits around my pillar drill well, but i have never drilled a mod rim, so i would not know how well it would.

a little pic that demonstrates what i mean:

gallery_84_50_12629.jpg

Cheers for the diagram (N)

I've only got a drill here, no hole saw, so I'm guessing I'll need to keep it small. This kinda negates the point of doing the drilling though (not big enough to really make much of a weight difference, but big enough to affect rim strength?), so I dunno...

Thanks anyway,

Mark.

I don't know how every one else drills there holes, but that is the way i have found to be best, when i drilled my DX32 rims on my 26inch the quality of holes was awsome, the holes required no cleaning what so ever on the visable bit of the rim, and the edges nice and smooth (N)

Yeah, I've only got standard drill bits unfortunately, and I don't really want to have to buy anything new to do it, seeing as it's a kinda half-assed whim (N)

Note how I managed to play off the fact that I didn't know a hole saw was just a drill bit? :">

if you are gunna get a holesaw then an 18mm one is plenty, infact just right.

heres what i did:

got a centre punch and popped all the way around the rim inbetween the spoke holes (duh, lol).

then i took the holesaw to the centre punched dips.

i drilled from the outside in and kept my wheel assembled.

here is the result:

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/forum/index....cmd=si&img=5848

hope this is helpfull (N)

Will

Yeah, I've only got standard drill bits unfortunately, and I don't really want to have to buy anything new to do it, seeing as it's a kinda half-assed whim :mellow:

Note how I managed to play off the fact that I didn't know a hole saw was just a drill bit?  :">

Axminster will sell you the lot for under a fiver.

www.axminster.co.uk