A Couple Of Things Base Related

Krisboats

right i've got a metallic red base ta26 and i dunno whether its an 04 or 05....

i think its an 05.... maybe... :"> (ordered about 2weeks before xmas)

anyway the mech hanger is different to all the pics i've seen on here and mines bent quite severly,

also i need to know what size or brake booster types i can fit into it without it touching on the seat tube, i cut a nice big curve out of my standard maggie booster. preferrably a nice carbon fibre booster.

i wud put pics on here but me camera is a bit funky and won't let me import pics onto the computer at the minute.. :ermm:

i'll get sum pics of the hanger and the bosster if any of u really wanna see it.

anyway... cheers

Kris

EDIT: oh yeah looked at this booster... woodman booster

Edited by Krisboats

Good choice , the TA 26 rules ! '04 - '05...it's all the same,but the Base website isn't being terribly helpful,having seen no updates for well over a year. Can't recommend any Magura boosters , 'cos I run a V-Brake on mine.Different mech hanger ?Hmmm...I know you said your camera's being Funky,but pictures really would be helpful .I wanna see the bike too.

The TA26 is indeed a fine frame for the money. I am currently running a standard maggie steel booster (slightly bent) and a carbon xtr booster. I have managed this by cutting the overly long seatube down. I haven't exceeded the lowest point the slot for seatpost clamp tightening extends to so shouldn't have weakened the frame at all. Mine has lasted 18 months like this to date.

My advice, get hacking the seatube down a bit to be able to fit a decent stiff booster on there.

i got the pictures off the camera after a bit of a struggle and a bit more swearing but they're here.

Brake booster:

gallery_5186_667_14077.jpg

and the mech hanger which on second thoughts might be the same as a pic of an 04 hanger i've seen.

Front:

gallery_5186_667_73318.jpg

Rear:

gallery_5186_667_67815.jpg

I wud cut the seattube down but my seat clamp is fairly chunky so i reckon there would be more space if i leave it at that size.

Edited by Krisboats

Theyre the best ones, by far! The 'K' ones that come on Zebdis (MK3 and 4) are the worst, slightest pressure and theyre bent!

Ah right it's just that bends in randomly even though i havn't hit it, though my mech hanger on the old base didn't snap and i bent it outwards twice.

I'm running a maggie booster, and a R&B v brake booster. And they both fit.

Are you running them both at the same time on the same brake?

how did you get a v-brake booster on past the maggies quickrelease lever or are you running it with two bolts?

I think that may be a solution if I can do that, keep my customly hacked away booster and then remove my quick release lever and fit another v-brake booster on with a standard bolt... like i have on the left side of my maggie at the minute.

Has anybody else done this and does it make things like removing the wheel a bit of a bitch?

I'm running the two boosters on the rear brake, at the same time. If I want to take the wheel out I either tlet the tyre down or just take the brake off which takes seconds plus the set up remains the same.

Well basiclly all you have to do is buy a R&B V-Brake booster. It comes with two bolts and two spacers. Take the quick realise off and take away the old bolts. then just put it on hey presto.

How long is the seat tube on base's? How short can you get it before it goes all buggery on you (I will be running a hope qr clamp btw) and are these booster problems common?

Cheers

James (Y)

Seems like i'm the only one whose had booster issues. (Y)

surely they couldn't have made my seatube got dodgy or the brake blugs in the wrong place.. :)

Just to nail the mech hanger question - that's the same as all the other TA26 '04 Bases, and as Bigman pointed out (nice one!), you can buy it from Supercycles for £8, but I don't know how much postage they charge:

http://www.supercycles.co.uk/site_details.asp?ProductID=351

mech_hangers_unknown.jpg

^Type 4

Booster wise, I had no problem fitting a standard 2 bolt maggie one, and I did have a Tektro on there too which attaches across the brake bosses. Very hard to set up the magges with this set-up though, so I ditched the Tecktro after a while. In fact, I think I'm going to put a Vee brake on the back because I love my new front one so much. So easy to set the pads up straight compared to the maggie ones, I can unclip the brake really easily to remove the wheel, and I'm getting fantastic braking with the pads I have on there (Y)

Steve

i had to trim my booster to fit my base and it eventually snapped so i made my own custom one to suit the frame that took the narrow space into account (Y) god bless free periods at sixth form

i also run a tektro v brake booster on top and it is an arse for settin up the brake so im gonna make another custom booster similar to my old rb booster but in steel (Y)

Cheers for the hanger info... i might have to order a pair...  (Y)

As for the brake... could it be my rim? it's a bmf.

I can't really think why it's only mine thats dodgy. (Y)

mine would be but if you look in the pic, i have slightly best the mag booster, and cut the seatube down to allow the use of an xtr v-brake booster.