Carbon Gone Too Far!

spunkey_monkey_boy

its still a bloody chain ring! track bikes take huge force through the cranks/chainring/bb area, i saw a track bike that had had the bb completely ripped off the rest of the bike when starting a race!!!

if it can stand up to track it should be able to stand up to trials... (a smaller one obviously)

I can't really see the problem with it on a track bike.

Where does this huge force come from too. As far as I'm aware all they do is pedal, sure they pedal fast but still it can't be that much of a force.

you've obviously never seen a start, they have thighs the size of my waist, they have stupid amounts of power.

Good idea for a track bike!

Doubt it could withstand trials abuse, although im not totally sure. Wouldn't the sudden force from gapping etc eventually fook the carbon?

Stan.

Wouldnt it eventually fook most stuff? (Y)"

I dont see why it shouldnt be used for trials. although it would be mighty expensive :sick:

you've obviously never seen a start, they have thighs the size of my waist, they have stupid amounts of power.

yeh, the bikes are geared up alot, so it takes alot of force on the pedals to get them going, but as the riders have stupidly strong legs, they find it ok pedal, but there is still alot of force going through it.

not sure if i explained that too well (Y) ...

Track/timetrial bikes have very big sprockets in front. So there will be lot less pressure on teeth with 48t sprocket compared trials 22t or so.

Thats because chain had to "rest" along more theeth with a bigger sprocket.

So smaller sprocket, greater the pressure on theeth.

I think that theet would just "grind" away with trials usage. (Y)

My mate actually snapped his steel 22t sprockets while gapping... And he also "ovalized" aluminium one too.

In Track they have a couple of laps to get up to full speed, then they line up while cycling and go through the start. So the actual acceleration and forces would be quite low.

Another thing, you'd probably use that being a professional racer and replace it every couple of races maybe.

Seb

Edited by SebJT

Yeah carbon i hugely strong. People seem to think because it powders when it's damaged it has to be weak, it isn't.

As for using on a chainring yeah its a good idea. Think how far they race and it still comes down to hundreths of a second at the finish line, it really is true when they say every gramme makes a difference

Does anyone actualy know what carbon fibre is?

Its a cloth woven from carbon strands that is soaked in glue and baked basically. Its not stronger than aluminuin or steel but it has a very low weight so they use more of it to make it the same stregth. However its very brittle so for a chainring it would last about 1 race. You have to considered different stregths. i.e. tensile, compressional, torsional, impact etc

carbon fibre is really good at absorbing energy from big hits for example....it might not be durable but its still pretty strong becasue it absorbs most of the enrgy thats exerted on it rether than consentrating it on one area and bending/breaking.

carbon is normally used with epoxy as well, which helps make it stiffer and stronger (Y) then they oven-cure it. it does have quite good compressive strength, and tensile strength, but it would be way too brittle to use as a chainring for trials

You sure?

With the right blend, layering (directions, thickness), combination of different fibres and the quality of the manufacturing (incl. autoclave treatment), you can get an extremely tough product, which isn't very brittle at all.

If the riders would focus less on the looks of the fibre, and more on the performance of the composite, we'd see drastical improvements in quality and strength. Example, if you look at the aircraft industry, you'll hardly see the 'classic' CF weave, but fibres in one direction only, or other kinds of fibre composites. Aramide or glass fibres are more resistant to scratching and general wear... The components turn out in a brown-yellow kind of colour, but perform better. :(

but that is on a track bike not a trials bike. good idea if you ask me

I agree its a track bike and a good idear. But as spunky monkey sez there is a hell of alot of force on it dont think it would do 4 trials though . (Y)

Edited by samthebiker