How Fast Do We Walk On Average?

Swindon rider

Is it 2 or 4 mph?

Im trying to set up my speedo on my road bike but it has a button on the back which does somethin to the read out, when i walk along with the bike it reads 2mph, then when i press the little pin button on the back it changes to 4mph, it also changes this wierd little picture in the corner, I cannot find it in the instructions (i've probly lost half),

So basically i want to know how fast we walk.

Stu

Do they reach 50mph in the 100m sprint? Seems a bit quick. :D

EDIT: I realised my mistake, thats why i edited, :P, yeah 50mph is way to quick.

Edited by JT!

The world average's at 1 metre per second....

Soooo, thats 60 metre's a minute.

60x60 = 360

therefore you walk 360 metre's an hour.

1610 metre's to a mile.

1610 / 360 = 4.722

Therefore....

On Average....

We walk at.....

rounded up.....

5mph.

:D

60 x 60 = 3600 metres/hour

then you want to divide it by the number of metres in the mile, which you say is 1610.

so you get (metres/hour)/(metres/mile)

remember the fraction your dividing by turn upside down and multiply,

so you get 3600/1610 = speed in miles/hour or mph

which is 2.23 ish assuming you walk at 1 m/s

Andy

It's even more than that, isn't it? At the last Olympics they speed-trapped the sprinters throughout the course of the 100m race, and they got up past 30mph at one point, but they slow down at about 30-ish metres to a sort of 'cruising speed' after the initial burst at the start. Either way, it's insane how fast they go. If you stand there, then measure out 10m then think "They cover that on average in less than a second", it hits home pretty well.

I always think of the average as 3.5mph for any sort of practical purpose, and it seems to be about right? Even though with girls it seems to drop to about 1mph whenever they get into any group larger than 2 people :)\

They do go pretty fast in the 100m but there aceleration is even faster and they accelerate for a considerable length of the 100m

Mmm, I'm sure I heard that they're still accelerating by the end of the 100m. So, if 23mph is the AVERAGE speed... They go "quite" fast :)