Stealth Hubs

Andy P

I was going to wait for at least a month before posting this but I was so so impressed that I really could not resist.

I doubt that many people in the UK (and the rest of the world) have ever heard about True Precision and Stealth hubs but they are absolutely amazing.

Almost all riders on here will say that THE hub to have would be a Chris King, due to the high number of engagements, the stealth hub has an infinate number of engagements - its instant and completely silent. The way this works is a clutch system but where other clutch hubs have been flexy and spongy, the Stealth is very stiff and direct.

I had my doubts about the hub but as soon as I had the wheel built and on my bike the results were amazing, seriously, this hub will be the end of king hubs. To show how confident Todd is of the performance of his hubs, he offers a 5 year warrenty - INCLUDING trials use!! The hubs are currently being ridden by the likes of JJ gegorovitz, Sean Miller, Chris Santos and a few others with no problems.

I'm currently riding the Stealth poacher, the single speed MTB version. The cassette hub has not been available for a long while, this is because the hub has been re-designed to be lighter and to handle more torque than before. When I last spoke to Todd (a couple of days ago) the final proto was being laced to for testing and if needed, I'll recieve one for more testing.

I can't yet give a full review of the hub as I've not had the chance to give it a thrashing but first impressions are VERY promising. Having owned a King hub for many years with great experiances with them I can honestly say that this is in a totally different league!!

For more information visit the link in my sig or send me a PM and I'll do my best to answer any questions.

If you are at all interested in the hubs, if you spot me at a ride come up and give me a tap on the shoulder, you are more than welcome to try it for yourselves.

Cheers, Andy P

I have heard about these hub's, never seen one untill now though. The hub doesn't look that great but I would love to have one, silent=yum, how much would the be in GBP ? and where would one buy them.

Also how long before the cassette version is out ?

Seems interesting...a challenger to the mighty Chris King ?If the pricing is reasonable , and they perform like you suggest they do , they can't fail to be popular.My main concerns are long term reliabiliy , and less importantly possible colour options.No one can deny that totally silent hubs are appealing , and I am looking to replace my XTR rear hub . I simply don't trust Shimano.I look forward to further opinions 6-7 months down the line , after extensive thrashing.

gallery_3439_596_14556.jpg

Sounds good. Would be interesting to have a look at the internals.

One thing that worries me is the possibility of slipping, surely if it works on a clutch system there is more chance of slippage? I may be totally wrong, I'm only thinking of experience with setting up clutches on RC cars when i used to race them....

cheers, sam

How much servicing do they need then?

I guess it works a little like a centrifugal clutch  :P"

Sam

Taken straight from the site Sam...

Features:

Front hub is convertible from bolt in to quick release to 20mm through axle

Large flanges help build a stiff wheel

Strong enough for downhill, light enough for cross country

Silent hubs don't scare any wildlife

Zero backlash for technical riding

Disk brake hubs compatible with the most popular disk rotors

Completely sealed from the elements

Little to no maintenance

Available in through axle versions for more rigid wheels

Made in USA

The Munn, personal opinion about the looks I think, I think it looks weirdly good :P . Price wise, the single speed hub (which is slightly more pricy than the cassette hub) at full retail inc. postage would be £180. Thats £180 well spent I think.

The Hubs are available to order off TruePrecision.net but I would recommend getting on the phone and dialing 001.805.964.4545 and asking for Todd - hes a great guy and will tell you everything you would ever need to know. The cassette version, if all final testing go's well, will be be ready for production in the next three months.

If you do get one, you will be joining a rather exclusive club. There are less than 200 hubs in the world. The single speed that i have is number 18 of 18 in the world - there arn't too many of them going around.

There is a downside to this though. As the hubs are made to order there is a slight waiting list - I had to wait about 2 months or so but it was well worth while.

Sam, its not like a centrifugal clutch. Im not 100% on the workings of it as I didn't have much time between ripping it out of the box and lacing it up, to putting it on the bike and giving it a go :P . I also didn't fancy ripping the internals out of a rather expensive hub that I've had to wait "a while" for.

Many thanks for taking me to southampton to collect it and then fiding that the hub was in the back of a truck being deliverd to my house again :P

Also, many thanks to Jonny Jones for lending me his spare back wheel for absolutely aaaaaages :P

Andy P

They've been out for years. No-one uses them. Most people would put two and two together and say they're shit :S But that's a bit unfair, I've never even seen one, so I can't say that sort of thing. However, I have heard that the are:

1. Very heavy, especially compared to a King,

2. Unreliable and die after a shot amount of time.

They've been out for years.  No-one uses them.  Most people would put two and two together and say they're shit :S  But that's a bit unfair, I've never even seen one, so I can't say that sort of thing.  However, I have heard that the are:

1.  Very heavy, especially compared to a King,

2.  Unreliable and die after a shot amount of time.

Not to sound gay, but honestly, when was the last time you heard of someone using one?

Personally, ive not heard of one uk rider using one, let alone being able to break one. Trials frames are redesigned every year, and at a guess, this hub will be too. :D

I even think Andy said this is a new design.

However, only time will tell.

Also, weight watching is so 2004. :P

So is the trend for people to go away from "How can I make my King louder?" to "How can I make my hub deathly silent?"

Personally, in answer to that question I'd suggest front freewheel setup with a Dicta, but there we go :S

Either way, good luck with the hub Andy. It'll be interesting to hear how it works. Is it similar to the RB Tractor hub, but... well... good?

Oh :S

Well how much are kings then?

Something like 311g for standard axle and steel driveshell.

Its nothing like RB hub really... has clutch plates from what i understand. I think theres a patent for it... looking now. Edit: 562 results for 'hub AND bicycle', sod that! Nothing if you search under 'true', 'precision' or 'ackert'. Oh well...

Good luck with the hub Andy :D

I take it they are similar to the old Shimano silent clutch hubs which work using bearings, which also never slip, but they feel slightly mushy when you pedal, but to get rid of the mushy feel you need to change the size of the bearings which could mean they will blow up, so to find the perfect contrast would be hard.

So, hopefully the bearings won't crush and blow up but they won't feel mushy to pedal kick.

Phil.

I take it they are similar to the old Shimano silent clutch hubs which work using bearings, which also never slip, but they feel slightly mushy when you pedal, but to get rid of the mushy feel you need to change the size of the bearings which could mean they will blow up, so to find the perfect contrast would be hard.

So, hopefully the bearings won't crush and blow up but they won't feel mushy to pedal kick.

Phil.

From what my mate told me after riding on andy's stealth, it feels realy solid, and the engagement is obviously instant. This guy thinks that his King is the dogs dangly's, but this time, has had to admit it has been beaten... Thats enough to proove to me that they feel nice :-"

Phil, You're correct. They use one way bearings for the engagement - like the shimano hubs, but unlike the shimano hubs they have a very solid feel and power feels very direct.

For those that don't think that the hubs can take any trials abuse, I said earlier - The hubs are currently being ridden by the likes of JJ gegorovitz, Sean Miller, Chris Santos and a few others with no problems. Because of this, the hubs have a 5 year warrenty for trials use.

Weight wise, yes, they are heavier than Chris Kings - which are designed for xc use. In all honesty, I was slightly concerned about the weight issue but I can honestly say I cant feel any difference - Going by what Adam said, 300g difference??? I probably s**t 300g.

Andy P

Phil, You're correct. They use one way bearings for the engagement

Weight wise, yes, they are heavier than Chris Kings - which are designed for xc use. In all honesty, I was slightly concerned about the weight issue but I can honestly say I cant feel any difference - Going by what Adam said, 300g difference??? I probably s**t 300g.

I once looked into this - theyre called 'sprag bearings'... nothing ever came of it though, I decided (from the specs of the bearings) the hub would be too heavy, and not be able to take enough torque.

Yeah, you cant really feel the weight once on the bike, but on paper it looks bad (fickle trials riders :) ).

Lol, you'll shit a lot more than that :P different kind of weight though... :P

Going by what miles said it is... "It makes kings feel crap" i think were his exact words :P

yeah, those were my words! it really is amazing! i only rode it round halfords for a couple of mins, but it feels rock soild and almost like it couldn't possibly slip...if you get what i mean! :P have to wait and see how it holds up though

I once looked into this - theyre called 'sprag bearings'... nothing ever came of it though, I decided (from the specs of the bearings) the hub would be too heavy, and not be able to take enough torque.

Yeah, you cant really feel the weight once on the bike, but on paper it looks bad (fickle trials riders  :P ).

Lol, you'll shit a lot more than that :) different kind of weight though... :-

As usual, Ad is right :P (wish i had that talent!) If you have a look HERE you'll see where I started looking into this idea too. I spent quite a long time considering it and spoke t a lot of people, bit as mentioned before, you can't get a one-way clutch bearing that is appropriately sized for this appliction AND appropriately torque rated.

I got the interest from a guy called George French, (who one or two of you might know from the world of BMX: he runs G-Sport, who make hubs and things). He made a proto BMX hub that worked on this principal years ago, but it engaged too fast for use in BMX.