Cage Pedals..

Mr Motivator

pro's as you say do use them, but the likes of vincent hermance and other people very very very rarely touch there bashguard or pedals, hence they would much prefer to have ultimate grip that platform pedals just cannot provide.

ive tried cages for ages and loved them but demolished too many sets, platform pedals seem to be much better if you go harsh on them.

Interesting topic...!

Im not sure why they do use them - my guess would be:

People like Hermance etc are sponsored, so have to use the pedals. The trials-specific shoes they use also work ok with them.

Im not sure about Ashton etc... maybe theyre just used to those pedals from ages ago, when they were the only decent pedals available?

I can certainly say that, from my own experience, pinned pedals seems to offer much better grip, and also have larger platforms.

Many people say caged pedals work well with running-type trainers - but, i dont own any, so have never tried.

Definitely each to their own though! :P

if using the pedals to sidehop onto, platform pedals dont provide the same grip on the egdes as cage ones do. platforms last longer, dont get worn down in the same way. some of them has "studs" for grip, which you can replace.

the vp caged pedals get worn down , and many riders have problems with them cracking.

Im not sure about Ashton etc... maybe theyre just used to those pedals from ages ago, when they were the only decent pedals available?

:P

At a recent demo, Ashton opened up the back of his trailor on his animal truck and in there was about 20 packs of vp pedals.. he put new ones on and gave his old ones away that were hardly used.

Sponsor?

from my experience cages have always outdone platforms in wet weather.

If you wanna go for some caged pedals look for the clubroost 2d's they are the best ive seen, brilliantly light, excellent grip and super duper uber smooth bearings nowt a problem with them ever, just a little costy

club roost 1'ds!!!!

there the best..........caged pedals going sterength and durability is far better than the VP pedals so yes they are £28 or summit but they hold alot more strength.

more than twice the price but deffinatly worth the money!!!! if you look closely most of the time, hawse n ashton have the club roost peds (well i seem to remember them having when iv ridden with them) they are heavier than the VP but are alot stronger, weight for strength.............

pinned pedals are good but if your doing alot to crank or pedal they tend to drop out. unless you tek all of 1 side out then use only 1 side with pins in.

Waynio...........................

can anyone remember the club roost 2d's!!!! they were the best caged pedals going with good bearing and cages lasted forever but were near £40.00!!!!! bring em back i say.......

Caged pedals are also very modifyable, you can drill excess matrerial, remove the inner gage sharpen the gripping points...

But I have to agree that those loose ball bearings are " a bit" shite ones, but with decent maintance they will last pretty long. Also vp ones are cheap.

HAIL WAYNIO

i saw a place where you could get them from in MBUK but that was aaaaages ago, some little advertisement in small writing, something stupid like £38 but they were damn good.

if you can find some on the net somewhere mate get em, they are good, coming from me and waynio, how could you ever doubt us? :-

stu :P

I have used a few caged pedals and if you want caged then the club roost 1Ds are the way to go, really good pedals, the cage and the pedal body are a lot stronger!!

Actually my mate Tim (with the camper) just ordered some, will have to ask him where he got them from! I know CRC used to do them, dunno if they still do!

mike

yeh, i HAVE to use caged pedals. I just can't ride on platforms, i feel like i aren't making enough contact with the bike,

I love the size and shape of cages but they are way to weak. I've destroyed two left side pedals now, one snapped the cage the other i snapped the body. So i am gonna bodge one good pedal out of the bit because i'm a cheapskate :P

gonna look for some of the club roosts :S

The rpoblem i had with my onza vp's was that the cage was lower than the base at some points, so i was slipping abaout on them.

Never go back to caged now, platform all the way.

:P

I've used the VP's for over two years, they were ok, but I always found that my foot might come up when doing a move, which makes it really awkward, this was with a pair of Etnies though.

Now running some V12s and I love them, alot more durable than the Caged pedals, smoother bearings - can't complain at all, and they seem very durable so I hope they'll give me at least a good year of faithfull service :P

I've used a few types, and have found that it depends on the shoe you are using. My V8's and SNAFU's gripped pretty well on my Vans, but were shite on my Globes, but then changing to VP's they gripped really well with the Globe tread pattern. Then i found some 1D's in a shady little road bike shop (the box looked like it was about 10 years old!) and they work really well with either Vans or Globes.

Durability wise, the V8's were ok, the pins seemed to fall out alot though.

The SNAFU's had the same problem (and i snapped an axle after a particularly heavy landing on the DH bike :"> ), the 2 pairs of VP's i had were ok but i snapped a cage, then snapped the body of one pair, and the second pair i snapped the body so the bolt would not tighten. The best pedals i have had so far have been the Club Roost 1D's (my current pedals). I've been running them for around a year now, and show no signs of giving up. The cages have become slightly worn and the bearings on one pedal have become a bit loose (sidehops to pedal :P" ).

Other than that they have been faultless.

I seem to remember the Wooley hat shop selling the 1D/2D's a little while ago, it might be worth checking out their website :P

My pedal choice is definitely down to the shoes I wear. When I used to ride only in skate shoes I swore by platforms and found my VP's absolutely useless, especially in the wet when I couldn't trust them at all. However, since getting my trials shoes I've completely changed my opinion - the soles on my Ribos stick to cages like glue (they also stick to V8s pretty well, just a little better on cages).

Of course, there's still the problem of durability with cages - mine are currently completely smashed and bent out of shape. But considering the cost of replacement it's not too big a problem really.

I got myself a set of Club Roost 2D pedals 3 years ago at the bike show for £25 :-" ....they still goin strong now, shortly to be put on my leeson when it arrives!!!

Very sweet+smooth, mega grippy and generally pimp. though as people have said, have fun tryin 2 find any now!

Lovely pedals, wouldnt change them for the world!

The bearings aint quite as smooth now as used 2 be, bit bent and scratched but still better than any others Ive ridden with

Lovely, just lovely....

M@ :)