Two Freewheels?

Rich Pearson

I'm sure someone has thought of this before, but can anyone think of a reason not to run a front freewheel AND a rear freewheel, simultaniously? I understand there may be some difficulties with different numbers of engagement points, but I just got bored and started wondering. Because you could have each freewheel taking half the original stress that was taken by just one freewheel.

Dumb? Clever? Abstract?

Just an idea for the brainiacs to ponder...

Rich

I'm sure someone has thought of this before, but can anyone think of a reason not to run a front freewheel AND a rear freewheel, simultaniously?

Half the engagements :P (well, basically)

My mate once had a Hope XC and an ACS Claws up front. Oh my word, was awful!

Because you could have each freewheel taking half the original stress that was taken by just one freewheel.

Not really, both freewheels would be taking the stress, except one would have pawls etc taking stress as oppose to just a cog.

Not to mention twice as likely to skip, near enough half the engagements.

And also, if they're ACS's, then they're usually not straight, so if you're unlucky then you'll have a tight chain and a slack chain at different points. :P

Mike.

If theyre both 36 point freewheels, worst case is that one freewheel travels 10 degrees before it engages, then pulls the second one round another 10 degrees to engage that. So youve moved 20 degrees before youve got any power down, equivalent to an 18 point freewheel.

If theyre both 36 point freewheels, worst case is that one freewheel travels 10 degrees before it engages, then pulls the second one round another 10 degrees to engage that. So youve moved 20 degrees before youve got any power down, equivalent to an 18 point freewheel.

If you're running 1:1 gearing, yeah. :wink2:

What about running two freewheels either side of your bike? left and right hand drives I mean, Surly it would work on mods if you got two threaded cranks etc and got the trhreadfs the right way, some euro riders use left hand drive dont they?

Way too heavy and pointless.

Theres the odd rider who rides left side, mainly bmxer who do grinds a certain may.

:wink2:

What about running two freewheels either side of your bike? left and right hand drives I mean, Surly it would work on mods if you got two threaded cranks etc and got the trhreadfs the right way, some euro riders use left hand drive dont they?

that would not work as you would have to have 2 right pedals and the one on the left would come loose due to going the same was as undoping the pedal

Dan

My mate had a double drive on his koxx at one time, but he had the freewheels at the back and just a chainring on the front. He had the thread in the crank arm re-threaded so that the pedal wouldn't come lose. Personally I didn't like it one bit, but he said he liked it. I would never go double drive because it's too much messing about and costs too much in my opinion. :wink2:

Thinking more about it today:

If you have two freewheels, one would be less restrictive, so one would stay with the pawls against the teeth. So it would feel the same, but if you got your trousers caught, the other freewheel would kick in. One advantage i supose. :- Non of them finger loss storys :)

If thinking about "double drive" i.e. one free wheel per crank. The left side freewheel would have to be LSD (Left Side Drive in this case...) model and crank threads would be opposite then. If running normal crank/freewheel setting on left side everything would come loose immediately. That is ok if you have always wanted to ride backwards with your trial bike though...

Stick with the normal system, nothing to fix with it. Optimal.

Not necessarily. It'd be pretty much impossible. The thing is is that you'd have to have a different sized rear sprocket due to the fact that flip-flop hubs on trials bikes can only take 16t+ freewheels on one side, and micro-drive (i.e. 14t-) freewheels on the other. This means you couldn't have two 12t sprockets on the back, which means you might be f**ked. This is 'cos you'd have two different ratios on each side, so you wouldn't actually properly engage it on one side whilst you did on the other due to the chain-slack being taken up differently. I know when you ride mod you've got front freewheel so it means that the chain's always got some slack taken up, but it'd still be messed up.

Two freewheels would indeed leave you with half the engagements, a lovely mushy drive, two possible points of bike death, and it'd be straight up pointless. The rear freewheel might as well just be a fixed sprocket. No, you don't get the fact that you won't catch your trousers as easily, but as long as you're not a 'tard it's not too hard a problem to overcome...

Mark.