Why Trials?

Pork Pie

Hiya,

I've just been thinking, "Why Trials?" , basically.

So yeah, I'm just interested to know what made you choose trials over say, football, or anything else.

What attractions do you see in hopping around on your bike instead of kicking a ball or something? Why do you find trials interesting, but not other things?

Why Trials?

Dave (Y)

'cos other people are unreliable, but I know where I'm at and what I'm doing. I can go "Hey Mark, let's go ride", whereas if I was a footballer I'd have to round up other people and so on. I guess you could play on your own, but...well...it's not really football, is it? It's all about what I'm doing, and it's about me progressing in a way I'm happy with, hence the title that BMX, skating, trials, etc. all fall under these days - NCPO (Non-Competitive Progression Orientated) sports. Obviously there are comps in each of them, but when you're out riding street/natural and just playing about it's not going up in a league table...

It's just a challenge, and it just fit me.

Wasn't there a topic called "Why Trials?" ages ago on here that got huge? Not having a go or anything, the topic name just rang a bell.

Mark.

Well dave, i always used to watch the MBUK euro trip video and just go, "oh my god, that guy is crazy" about martyn ashton. So when the oppertunity arose for me to try it (this oppertunity being my bro buying a rigid bike) i did, and to cut a long story short, i loved it and just got addicted.

I just think its so different, and there arent rules to follow like in footie. And of course the main thin is, i love it. And i just enjoy everything about it, the adrenalin rush, the slow but steady improvement, the feeling of achievement. You just can't beat any ot those things in any other sport in my opinon (Y)

And the other people, to be fair.  In football, etc., you've immediately got a sort of divide of "Who do you support?" but with trials we're all just ridin', really...

yeah but you can support in trials..........

you go supercycles! they are the best

(Y) just kidding around.....

Will

I have no idea why i ride trials really... I just do.

If i lived in a different place then i think i'd be doing downhill or 4X still.

I agree with what Mark said, you can do it when, where and how you like, and you can be as intense or as lazy about it as you like, you don't have to worry about the rest of the team letting you down or visa versa.

It's quite a social sport as well, sitting down and talking watching others ride or whatever. Although having said that you can just pop out on your own for a bit and *here comes the cliche bit* forget about all your problems and have a bit of 'alone time'. I often find i'm alot happier and have a clearer mind after going for a ride.

Also, once i've been out on my bike, doesn't matter how long or how well i rode, it makes me feel happier that i've been out, kinda like a relief that i've been out.

Dammit, i'm addicted!

Keeps you fit as well i spose... But thats more of a bonus.

Happy riding!

because it makes me look cool (Y)

lol,

but seriously, because it makes the girls wet thinking of me :)

You still coming down and gonna let me make you wet this Saturday then? Bleedy bleedy :D

Plus, with trials, it seems like a really cool community atmosphere. I know not everyone gets along, but you can roll up to group rides and everyone's the same, if you get me. Everyone's there to have fun, but in their own sorta way.

I was originally inspired by the exploits of Lord Ashton , then when I saw some dude riding in my village , I realised that anyone can learn it . I used to think that some individuals were "talented " riders , but aside fom good balance and general fitness , being good is all about practice . And more practice.

as will longdon so well and truly puts it in train spotting.........

i ride my bike because i dont rely on anyone else. if something goes wrong then its my fault there is no-where else to place the blame.

thats the reason i prefer it to footie, cos i like to do my own thing and not have to rely on someone else to accomplish what i want.

thats probably me in life as well.

also its more fun than footy, there are less rules and restrictions than other games, hence why i ride my bike

cheers

ben

And the other people, to be fair.  In football, etc., you've immediately got a sort of divide of "Who do you support?" but with trials we're all just ridin', really...

not entirely true-with trials some so called 'real' trials riders sneer at the 'street' trials riders who do bmx moves and vica versa-there seems to be alot of this in the forum (Y)

ive always ridden bikes since i was small, did a bit of bmx when i was ickle(well tried :D ) and then got into xc when i was 12, kept breaking bikes and parts so i got myself a jump bike so i could get into the hardcore scene :D"

trials just naturally developed from there. i noticed that i was trying to bunnyhop more walls than get air from jumps, so invested in a trials bike a few christmas's ago, then i met the eastcoast trials lot (scotty, george,jimbo, robo, stu) and they invited me to ride with them, and i havent looked back :D -cheers guys :)

things that have kept me riding have been my passion for bikes (im obsessed it seems) and the social aspect of it-ive met some of my best mates just from riding and would probably keep goin on rides just to see them and have a laff even if i got bored of riding

trials rocks :P

At the very start just seeing another rider ride inspired me, the uniqueness and physicality was so fascinating. SO, what do you do next? buy a bloody bike and experience the joys for yourself.

Now a days, i ride trials because its both mentally challenging, physically challenging and is so much fun. You can be creative in the lines you take, you can go big and small and still have fun. There are so many possibilities.

I find it really rewarding as well, doing long gaps, nailing them perfect, it just feels great to, like when you bunny hop to rear going really fast and tap your front wheel, or doing front> rear wheel switches going up things, it does make you feel good.

There's always a risk of danger as well, which makes it more stimulating, and plus its never easy, is it? you always have to try hard, which makes it that bit even more rewarding when you achieve your goals.

And to add to that there are extra benefits, such as this forum where we can all unit and discuss are interests and share are thoughts with like minded people, i know its the same for many other hobbies, but still, atleast the community is a good one, well majority wise.

Football is camp, Well i don't see a great deal of skill in kicking a ball. Don't get me wrong i couldn't do it as good as pro footi players. This sport involves allot of skill, Not just anybody can do it. It allows you to show off you own style, you can do things many diff ways. I actually always wanted to race motorcycles but never got into it at a young age so i think track days and maybe amature racin would be my limit. Trials is the onli sports ive ever realli been dedicated to learning. I love it, no sport like it realli. You can take so much stuff from so many other riding disaplins and put them into trials

i dunno why (Y)

I just started riding around my village trying some of that stuff I had seen Ashton/Hawyes trying in mbuk.

I suppose now it fun and keeps me fit(ish) plus riding my bike is more fun than watching tele all the time or spending the entrie weekend in the pub like most people at work do! I also like going out and trying new stuff and stealing bits from other discipline of biking and adding them to my riding! Its great feeling like your improving and seeing your mates improve.

Its just f**king cool :)

mike

Plain and simple, I'm an attention seeker. I did, without going into too many details, do many of the things teenagers often do when they want some attention (if you don't understand the last sentence, you don't need to). I just found that I could get attention a differnt way, and trials is the way I do it. When someone comes up and tells me that what I'm doing astounds them, its probably the second best feeling in the world in my opinion. For the best feeling in the world you'll have to talk to my girlfriend...

Rich