Pedals Around The £50 Mark.

Mark W

Hey all,

I've been looking at buying new pedals, and with me getting paid tonight from work, I can afford to spend a bit to make sure I get something decent.

I've been running V8's for a fair while, and I truly hate them. I want to upgrade my pedals, but I'm well out of my depth and was hoping someone might be able to give me a hand with some user experience?

First up in the list is the Atomlab Trail-Pimp. It's £49.99 from CRC with free postage, which seemed like a bit of a bargain.

4898.jpg

They're running the "DU" bearings in these, which sound OK, but does anyone know what they're like? Plus, is it all that grippy? They give loads of stuff on the site about how it's uber thin so it means you have more stability and therefore more grip without having as harsh a cage, but is that actually the case?

Next is the Azonic X-pedal.

3906.jpg

I quite like the look of these, but how grippy/burly are they? They look kinda tough, but the way there's not much on the pedal to grip walls/rocks/logs/etc. is a bit of a worry? I think there's someone on here using them, so if they could let me know that'd be dandy (Y) I've found them for £49.99 too, from CRC, so that's another temptation...

Next is the Shimano DX pedals.

547.jpg

They're £44.99 so a bit cheaper, but at £50, £5 either way isn't too much difference. I've heard that the pedal bodys can be damaged more easily than the V8 'cos of the lack of the middle brace - is this true? And are they grippier?

Lastly, there's the 24-Bikes Toaster pedal.

433.jpg

£50 again, but are they any good? I've got little to no experience with 24 Bikes stuff, apart from swinging a leg over someone's Le Toy III, but that's about it. What about anyone else?

Anyhoo, yeah, that's about it. If anyone's got any help/guidance they could give, that'd be awesome.

Thanks,

Mark.

Hmmm, I can only suggest that you steer very clear of the atomlab trail-pimp pedals, they arn't very grippy in the best of weather, and when the rain comes in your just bumed for grip :) Also there are actually no bearings inside them at all, it is just an axle that fits perfectly into a hole in the pedal body (Y)

edit: you recieved my pads yet?

Edited by Fishwog

Hey Sam,

They've sorta got bearings; just the plastic bushings which are...er...forgotten the word... they've got the O-rings that kinda put them under tension (still can't quite remember the word (Y)). Either way, thanks for the advice, I thought they looked a little grip-less.

Haven't been home from school today, so I'll PM you when I get back about pads :)

Mark.

Hmmm, I can only suggest  that you steer very clear of the atomlab trail-pimp pedals, they arn't very grippy in the best of weather, and when the rain comes in your just bumed for grip :) Also there are actually no bearings inside them at all, it is just an axle that fits perfectly into a hole in the pedal body  (Y)

edit: you recieved my pads yet?

did jack run them?

if so then they are probs the ones i hated that he had.

'cos I haven't found any decent ones for £20? In the past 6 months I've had 2 pairs of DMR V8's, which came to £45-ish altogether, and before that I had some Gusset ones that cost £25, so yeah, all that together come to more than £50, which you can generally get decent pedals for...

This thread is also concerning the Hognesium's, but there's another thread about them already so I thought there wasn't much point...

Yeah Simon, they are the ones Jack had, we took them apart recently to find out that bearings did not exist (Y)

One of my friends Brad has got some amazing pedals, lasted him like 2 years and there still going strog, i'll have to find out what they were....

Onza shin digs? 15quid

(Y)

i am using these, have been for a good few months now. i took all the pins out one side which confuses people that go on my bike but also it makes me only use one side so i dont damage the pedal on the side i use. i have not lost any pins at all and they still look in mint condition (on the side with the pins in) :P . and for £17 or what ever they are now they are well worth it.

i wouldnt bother with these expensive things. if you do want to spend a lot go the whole hog and get them assult racing pedals for £120, not this half arsed £50 bollox :)" :D :P

Mark, what gusset pedals where they? the mag trials cage ones?

anyone know what the gusset inca ones are like?

I like my easton flatboys, they have taken some hefty abuse (sidehopes to pedal on bollards, [attempted] grinds, natty stuff). I got them for £25 secondhand off tart though.

Mike

Those Toaster opedals have a mahoosive body so theres not too much grip - helps jumpers adjust their positions whilst in the air or something.

Anyway... so they're not very grippy 'cos the pins are so spread out and the pedals are massive.

So in summary, strong but not very grippy.

what the hell did you do to your pedals to go through two pairs of v8's in that time ? :ermm:

Jp

I don't know. The first ones just ran out of grip, and the second ones are just falling apart, basically...

Mark, what gusset pedals where they? the mag trials cage ones?

anyone know what the gusset inca ones are like?

I like my easton flatboys, they have taken some hefty abuse (sidehopes to pedal on bollards, [attempted] grinds, natty stuff). I  got them for £25 secondhand off tart though.

Mike

They're the Gusset "Prosecutors". It's the mag-bodied one. They're really, amazingly, properly shit. They felt in the dry like a pin-less V8 would in the wet, to give you an idea :-

I have used the azonic x frame pedals, they where super, GREAT grip, real stiff and plenty light. BUT I snapped off one of the corners when my brake slipped on a gap.

If it wasnt for the strength, I would still be running them.

Did they have much abuse before that? Was it just a freak sort of thing or are they just simply not strong enough for trials? I don't really go to pedal too much, so I'd hope to keep 'em pretty safe...

i am using outland sealed bearing pedals these stand up quite well extremely grippy replacable pins and at £30 u cat grumble

Dan

Which ones are these, out of curiosity? Did you get them from Wades or somewhere?

Wellgo magnesium pedals from Supercycles look pretty good, and at less than 15 quid, well cheap.

Rich

The only problem I could see is that they've only got 8 fairly weedy looking pins on each side, and seem to have tiny bodies?

Anyway, thanks for the help so far :- I think it's gonna either be the Hognesiums or the X-Pedals, at the moment...

1688.jpg

That's what i'm running now, awsome, bearings are smooth, very grippy, look nice, and seem very strong, they've been bashed into walls many times, never lost a pin, and they use beefy 4mm allen key heads in the back to keep them in!

£70 price tag though. If you can find any 2nd hand, go for it, i picked mine up in mint condition for about £30!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5197

These are what, for two years i learned on. The photo makes them look utter trash, but they look the same league to the atomlab pedals.

The bearings lasted over two years, but developed a little play and un-smoothness, so i decided to upgrade. I never lost a pin, and never had to tighten them up. For under £50, these would be my ultimate choice. I'm sure i've written another review somewhere, i'll find it. :ermm:

Mike. :-

Next is the Azonic X-pedal.

3906.jpg

I think there's someone on here using them, so if they could let me know that'd be dandy :ermm:  I've found them for £49.99 too, from CRC, so that's another temptation...

that would be me :- i've had them for about 7 months now, and i cant really find any faults with them. they weigh slightly more than VP cage pedals (but are much lighter than any other flat pedal i think) the grip is very good with my globe shoes and my try-alls. ive never had to adjust them, or touch the bearings etc and they have always run super smooth. i use them for comps are street riding and they seem to cope very well with both, and they're not a problem on rocks. some people moan that they dont have enough surface area for your feet, but my globes are size 13 (Y) and i dont have any problems. hope this helps.

that would be me :ermm: i've had them for about 7 months now, and i cant really find any faults with them. they weigh slightly more than VP cage pedals (but are much lighter than any other flat pedal i think) the grip is very good with my globe shoes and my try-alls. ive never had to adjust them, or touch the bearings etc and they have always run super smooth. i use them for comps are street riding and they seem to cope very well with both, and they're not a problem on rocks. some people moan that they dont have enough surface area for your feet, but my globes are size 13 :S and i dont have any problems. hope this helps.

Cheers dude :- I knew someone was using them apart from Ali C. I actually ordered a pair in black last night, so thanks for the reassurance (Y)