Tubeless, Any One Tried It?

Phatmike

The Profile has 48 engagement points. The Eno freewheel has 72. However, the Profile has a chain attached to it, and you have a gear ratio. The ratio is 18:12, so for one pedal revolution, you'll actually get 72 engagement points - the same as the front-mounted Eno. So yeah, they're equal engagement-wise.

So we don't even need the rim tap now ;)

guess i'll be buying some latex then (Y)

I'd still use a couple of layers of insulation tape!! The rim strip's still acting like a normal tube would, so it's just as likely to burst.

so how much weight does this actually save and what happens if you get latex on ur rear rim?!?! youd be on ur arse me thinks!

it all seems like a lot of hassle for those times when it rains nails and that guy from the video come up to your bike and stabs nails into the tyres ;)

convince all of us that are jubious! (Y)

Will

to me, its main point is to make my bike lighter for comps without puncturing, for street riders, no pinch punctures and no worries if you ride over glass or nails.

I think it has a bigger market in the comp scene than street to be honest.

what happens if you get latex on ur rear rim?!?! youd be on ur arse me thinks!

Liquid latex is water soluble, so if some goes on your rim when it's wet, just wipe it off with a damp cloth. If it's on your rim and it dries, just peel it off...

it all seems like a lot of hassle for those times when it rains nails and that guy from the video come up to your bike and stabs nails into the tyres :unsure:

(1st post)

Lighter

Impossible to pinch

Punctures sealed nearly immediately

Can run tyres at lower pressures. (Wont pinch, and they can fold more due to there being a tight seal between tyre and rim)

Urr yeah. I think the no pinching is probably the biggest seller...

Liquid latex is water soluble, so if some goes on your rim when it's wet, just wipe it off with a damp cloth. If it's on your rim and it dries, just peel it off...

(1st post)

Lighter

Impossible to pinch

Punctures sealed nearly immediately

Can run tyres at lower pressures. (Wont pinch, and they can fold more due to there being a tight seal between tyre and rim)

Urr yeah. I think the no pinching is probably the biggest seller...

Tyre fold is baddddddddddd though?

Surely if its wet then it wont fix the puncture?!?

Does this mean we have to keep away from the rain/wet surfaces/puddles??

how often do you take out your inner tube to find its full of water? never! The same with tubles, if its sealed, how can water get in?

and dave, when Mike said it can fold more, he means the trye can fold over without burping air, it wont fold over mcu more than a tubed set up (might fold a teeeeeny weeeeeeny bit more due to thinner sidewalls cos of no tube)

Maybe not, because as mike said to the guy that asked about you being on your back if the 'liquid' latex got on your rim.....if it's still wet, as it's water soluble, you can wipe it off with a damp cloth....and if it's already dry, peel it off!

Why not use a combination of both options, use a sliced up inner tube as the rim-strip and bung some liquid latex in too! Might work out cheaper. you could use some rim tape or gaffa tape to stop it ripping on the spokes too. He didn't actually mention anything about drilled rims though....maybe normal rimtape, some duck tape over that AND a sliced up innertube with latex'd work??

Yeah, pretty much.

I dig that YesTubes site. Speaketh the truth. I can run pressures as low as I want and never rim or pinch? I hate super soft tyres just 'cos it feels like wank. I know in comps you can get more grip on slippery stuff, but in the real world it makes your bike feel like a barge, it just reacts weirdly on angled surfaces, etc. So yeah, not for me...

sorry for my arrogance(as i havent read the whole thread) but where do you get the liquid latex from?

is it the same stuff as that 'slime' stuff or halfords own?

Cheers.

Will

Noooo, completely different.

Ebay, about £3. :unsure:

how often do you take out your inner tube to find its full of water? never! The same with tubles, if its sealed, how can water get in?

and dave, when Mike said it can fold more, he means the trye can fold over without burping air, it wont fold over mcu more than a tubed set up (might fold a teeeeeny weeeeeeny bit more due to thinner sidewalls cos of no tube)

nahhh, i mean if there is a hole in your tube, there is gonna be liquid latex on the outside sealing it, so wouldnt it just sorta wash off and then the hole needs to be resealed, or is it only soluble when its in liquid form??

It only needs to seal the tube though I guess, so it doesn't need to seal the outer edge? I can see what you mean about it being wet on the surface layer, but I'm thinking the latex would erupt out before any water got onto the tube through the hole in the tyre, so it'd be dry before it got moistened?

Mark.

nahhh, i mean if there is a hole in your tube, there is gonna be liquid latex on the outside sealing it, so wouldnt it just sorta wash off and then the hole needs to be resealed, or is it only soluble when its in liquid form??

The latex goes on the inside :lol:

Turns out that the advice about drilling the bigger hole actually has some use if you use a thin rim and a tight tire (x618 and fire xc) couldn't get the b*****d to seal, oh well I'll have to borrow the techy departments drill.

• 3 years later...

incredably old topic to bring up but it does save on making a new one,so here goes. . . .

im starting the conversion of my 24" wheelset to tubless ,i bought the notube conversion kit and have fitted the rim tape with the valve onto the rim,im now attempting to inflate the tire but it just wont go up,i believe this is because the tire bead isnt against the rim enough(tire being a dmr moto,rim being atomlab) ,does anyone have any tips on inflation?

im using a floor pump by the way,i hope this to be enough but would a compresser be best?

cheers,steve

Edited by steve@banbury-trials