Bleeding Maggies

Boothy

if you do it with water then the seals will last not very long at all.

Tom

Er, no? Countless people on here have been fine with water in their brakes? I'm running tap just 'cos I couldn't get my grubby paws on a bottle of DI water, but it still works, feel ultra nice, and is a huge improvement on the Magura blood that I used to think was amazing (Y)

Bill on the forum did it and I did not personaly like the feel of it and his seals were knacered afeter that, but I was thinking of doing it but thought id rather spend £2.41 on a bottle of WD40 than pay out and go through the bother of replacing the seals so I used WD40.

Meh what ever works for you.

Tom

So all I have to do is completely submerge the brakes in water, and pump them until all the air is out?

Do I need to take out the fluid already in there, or will it work ok with them mixed?

Sorry if it is a stupid question lol

Yeah. I'm guessing it'd be beneficial if you keep one end above the other as well so there's somewhere for the air bubbles to leave through, too.

Don't forget that if you've been using Magura blood/mineral oil previously to empty them fully prior to bathing them. Make sure you pump some air through the system with some kind of track pump/air compressor to blow out all the congealed crap in there too.

Mark.

1.)  What fluids had he previously used?

2.)  Which "seal" went?

3.)  What lever was he using?

Plus, if it's a shit bleed, it'll feel shit anyway - just in case it was down to a crappy bleed...

I dont have the slightest clue at all but I did not think it was posible but i was obviously wrong. You can use anything in them relley cant you? Could you even urinate in it? Not that I was to or anything :)" but it would be posible woundnt it? Or am I wrong here aswell? (Y)

Tom

I'd have thought it'd all have to be under water.

I've never really had any trouble with the syringe; if you've got it I'd use the bleed kit. It takes no time at all. However, if you don't, it's a reasonable alternative.

-undo the screws on the lever and piston.

-submerge

-put finger on hole in piston

-pull lever

-release finger before letting the lever go

-i cant remeber if that is right but you will figure it out when u do it

guy (Y)

The easiest way is just to bleed it with water with a bleed kit under water...

1.Fill bath

2.Submerge brake

3.Undo bleed bolts

4.Attach bleed tube, but dont bother with vent tube, no need!!

5.Fill syringe with water and put on bleed tube.

6.Bleed the brake as normal, **all underwater**

7.Do it a few times to really get rid of air.

8.Remove bleed tube and do back up bleed bolts.

9.Brake works smooooth and awesome :)

10.Remove tools and crap from bath and empty water before mummy has a go at you :P"

Also if people walk in looks like youre working on a nuclear reactor or sometime (Y)

Quiry about water destroying seals:

Water is rather inert and wont "attack" rubber or plastic so shouldnt damage the brake at all. I would say the seals are more likely to die with WD40 or something...

Only thing to watch with water is your brakes freezing in the winter (mark :)" )

And may cause rusting to some bolts/tools that have been in the bath, remember to give them a good dry maybe a squirt of DW40 too :P

Seb

Quiry about water destroying seals:

Water is rather inert and wont "attack" rubber or plastic so shouldnt damage the brake at all. I would say the seals are more likely to die with WD40 or something.

Seals can become either physically damaged, or simply fail to seal due to lack of lubrication. Friction on non-lubricated seals can cause the formation of rough edges on the seal itself which cuts contact area and can cause leaks.

However, i have no experience with this in Maguras, i'm just saying in general.

Edited by giptown

Yeh ok true, but id be hoping magura made their a brake seals out of something that isnt destroyed by a substance that falls out of the sky (Y)

Considering that water does get everywhere on a bike, especially xc etc

Seb

without starting a new post...

do you need to do anything different when bleeding a maggie with one of those monty hose splitters?? and i will be using maggie blood!

just wondering as i doubt its been bled since 2000, still its pretty good and not mushy!

how much more difficult is it because im pretty lazy :(

cheeoz!

Rich

Havent done it myself, but meant to be very difficult, you have to use 2 syringes, on in each caliper, otherwise you end up with bubbles in one caliper. you also need to apply equal pressure to the syringes or something.

To be honest dont think its worth the hassle, nothing wrong with normal cross over...

Seb