College Made Booster!

Bigman

Just thought i would show iu guys my carbon fibre booster that i have just finished making for my DT coursework, here is the CAD drawing for the booster:

gallery_84_50_2063.jpg

And after fianaly getting my act together i have layed the carbon fibre and cut out the final shape, and it looks loverly, shame i can not fit it onto my bike because of it being a 4 bolt booster, oh well, i am sure i can find someone to test it,

Final product:

gallery_84_50_22041.jpg

Hope u like

Adam

Nice, would be interesting to see how well it works..

Was making it hard, I have no idea how you would go about making that..

Do you just lay sheets of the the material and coat it in resin or do you need to pressurize it or heat in anyway?

Be good to know a bit more about it, looks interesting. (Y)

edit: spelling

Edited by Brisa

I think he made the carbon, as it says 'layed' the carbon. And i would of thought he would have just cut the carbon with a bandsaw or something, i doubt it was a cnc milling machine, if it was i wish my school had that when i was there.

cant have been a bandsaw, how did he get the curves?

anyway, well find out sooner or later,  (Y)"

Will

You can do curves on a bandsaw, just depends how thick the blade is. I can cut curves on all my bandsaws, and i have a few different thickness blades.

yer, true.

one of those huge machines that are like 20 years old, well the one is my school was anyways.

Will

hardly huge, i was doing a similar job at work the other day, the machine is probably about 40 years old, and was hardly big, it was quite samll, an old french aciera miller with rotary table attached (Y)

Yeh, they are abit thin James, as the the making process, i had to do it with a bunch of saws and files, took a while, but i am happy with the finnish, could do with abit more finnishing, but it will do for now. once on the bike i could see that IMO it is slightly to high, but it seems to be good, but it is abit hard to judge on the bike that it is fited to at the moment, due to dan having soft tarty pads and a 12mm magura master cylinder which inturn makes an uber squishy brake, i will have a better idea of its stiffness when it is fitted to a mates BT on the weekend, as he has a standard magura master cylinder.

Some more pics:

gallery_84_50_64344.jpg

gallery_84_50_63243.jpg

Adam