Before I Go To Bed

EngageClothin

right,

i have a king with fun bolts etc going on my new bike and i was wondering if i could use the funbolts to clamp some sort of cage to protect the mech area. i was thinking about one of them guard things that you get on cheaper bikes in halfords or where ever to stop you from banging the mech, but i havent got one to play with (Y) .

i was just wondering if anyone have got any ideas to protect mechs or something cause im getting pissed off with bending hangers...

thanks james :)

If your bike has got a couple of holes in the frame about the dropout, not quite like a disc mount (hard to explain) My echo es4r has them i think... can get piccys tomorrow, then you can get one of those apollo mech protector thingys and just bend it to fit (Y)

Sorry if that didn't make any sense, i'm finding it hard to explain....

you mean like pannier rack mounts?

If your bike has got a couple of holes in the frame about the dropout, not quite like a disc mount (hard to explain) My echo es4r has them i think... can get piccys tomorrow, then you can get one of those apollo mech protector thingys and just bend it to fit thumbsupanim.gif

Sorry if that didn't make any sense, i'm finding it hard to explain....

James i really wouldnt bother matey... i tried it on an old bike just as a concept.

for the hub fixing idea.. stay well away from that as that area is sketchy enough already without attaching other things to it... as for using pannier mounts... my frame became bent instead of the mech hanger.

Best idea so far is making a steel one... they normally bend just as easily for me but with the added bonus that they can bend and be reshaped like 20 times before snappaging... also easy to do in the field if u know the axle trick... which i assume you do

oli

James i really wouldnt bother matey... i tried it on an old bike just as a concept.

for the hub fixing idea.. stay well away from that as that area is sketchy enough already without attaching other things to it... as for using pannier mounts... my frame became bent instead of the mech hanger. 

Best idea so far is making a steel one... they normally bend just as easily for me but with the added bonus that they can bend and be reshaped like 20 times before snappaging... also easy to do in the field if u know the axle trick... which i assume you do

oli

ah right thanks for that :D i just thought there would be a way to do it, seems like steel hanger is the only way :) hehe

i used to side hop to the left jon you fool, i changed cause now my back foot is facing the wall and it is actually better :D" hehe

tara james (Y)

Get a smaller mech. I landed on my tension seeker on a rail I was trying to ride along and nothing happened. The hanger didn't even bend. Tenstion seekrs are pretty rubbish, but you get the idea (Y)

I've got one piece Breezer hanger on my frame so I don't want to bend it too often sooo...

I've bolted an alloy hanger onto the fixed hanger then bolted the mech to this.

It brings the mech foward and if you zip tie the mech up you get loads of wrap.

I'll post a photo is a sec once it's uploaded.

dsc01310sm2jy.jpg

Hope this isn't monster size :lol:"

Edited by bluecatracingcat

get one of those new dmr chaintension thingis, it pushes the chain upwards and out of the way. and when fitted with a really short chain its rite out of the way! so its really hard to hit. and it doesnt hav any springs to go wrong.

This is what Ben is talking about:

Chainreaction

Got it on my bike at the moment. (will get a picture in later) I don't really have to worry about hitting the mech side because it is completely out of the way.

Edited by Bath trials

i just want to say that them mech mounts are designed to bend so that when you hit the mech it bends that rather than your frame, if you put a steel one on it is more likely to bend your frame...which is more expensive to replace than a little mech hanger, thats my opinion anyway.

errrrrrrm, don't steel ones bend? alu ones just snap! broke a dmr mech hanger with ma hands once. bag o w@nk....

anywyas, them new dmr tensioners look a bit pants. i made an unsprung tensioner a while back, and everytime i even knocked it, u have to reset it. sprung ones realign em selves (Y) much better. anyways, mechs all the way!! for now. y no1 done a better horizontal dropout on trials frames? if it works on mods, surely it can't be anymore difficult to do ones for stock? though i guess they gotta supply the majority....

smithy

on a crappy old bike I used to have it had this cage around the derailleur that looked a bit like a water bottle, I think halfords still fit them to some of their bikes. It attaches to the QR skewer and protects the chain gubbings if you hit it

or you could just get a Rohloff tensioner like i have squash the Sh1t outta it when you land on it and all it does is say "do it again!!!!!" it just is unbreakable its £50 and iv landed on it with all my weight not snapped a hanger and not even snapped the tensioner (Y) :- it looks pimp too fast black and sits flush with the frame. instead of standing out proud like the DMR tensioner (apart from the new STS simple tension seeker as that doesnt hold tension if you land on it, as the tensioner spoken about above stands out proud like a normal mech would if you get my drift.

Waynio......................

Why does everyone sidehop the opposite way to their good foot, i understand that its easier to land to crank but it doesnt make sense because alot of people who are left footed (like me) used to sidehop to the left, but then changed direction for some odd reason, im left footed and sidehop to the left and have had very few problems smashing my mech because of it.

Why does everyone sidehop the opposite way to their good foot, i understand that its easier to land to crank but it doesnt make sense because alot of people who are left footed (like me) used to sidehop to the left, but then changed direction for some odd reason, im left footed and sidehop to the left and have had very few problems smashing my mech because of it.

there's also less chance of you getting your foot caught on a wall. having said that i can't do it to save my life and i really want to hop to the opposite side, then i would be hopping left.

would there not be a way of filing down the hanger and having a tesionioner custom made to fit on the bottom chainstay? maybe near the chainring. that way it wouldn't really be bashable and would still do the same job.

i'll do a sketch of what i mean and post it later.