How Many Fingers Do You Have On Your Brake?

Boothy

How Many Fingers Do You Have On Your Brake?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. How Many Fingers Do You Have On Your Brake?

Hi.

Ever since I started riding I have had 2 fingers on my brake levers whilst doing everything.

Ive been told that it is better to have 1 on.

Whats are the advanatges/disadvantages to both?

I have tried it tonight for a while, it was ok, but I found it hard to pull the lever hard enough every time, and even fell off whilst gapping from a curb to a road!!

Cheers.

:lol:

Apart from when you're being raped by arm-pump mid-way through a section, where it can give you a bit of a rest if you just change to two fingers for a short period just to let your finger have a rest (from experience...).

Apart from when you're being raped by arm-pump mid-way through a section, where it can give you a bit of a rest if you just change to two fingers for a short period just to let your finger have a rest (from experience...).

Or you could just get good brakes :lol:

Anyway... one finger for me... so I can hold onto the bars :P

What I founf though was that my lever was too far out to comfortably pull, and it was hard to pull it with one finger, but my TPA is fuuked, so it is hard to adjust where the lever sits etc. and when i adjust the brakes in the mounts to change my lever position my braking powere totally disappears. How can I sort it?

Hope that made sense!!

Basically, if your TPA is wound really far in, you'll have to have the pads further out to get the lever closer to the bar. Because of this, you're kinda pushing the performance of the brake already, 'cos it doesn't have much more to give. Shit way of putting it, but hopefully you'll see what I mean :lol:

Anyway, just take the lever blade out by un-doing the lever bolt. Strip it down (you might need an allen key or something to push the metal bushing out. Get the square block which the TPA threads into. Take out the sheared part (what's stopping it from moving beyond a certain point). Reassemble, but put an M5 bolt in the hole where the TPA bolt formerly was. Job: done :P

You pretty much have to use one finger so that you have enough grip on the rest of the bar.

Simon, we're coming up to see you soon, I'm sorting it out :lol:

f**kING MEGA!!

make sure u sort it soon dude (cos i might be gone from here in a few months if all goes well) and let me know the dates asap so i can organise nights out (maybee cardiff if i can grab the minibus off scott (my boss))

I use one finger on my Rear Maggie, and one finger on my Deore lever, for my front Avid Disk.

That's fine for me.

However i've got repetative strain injury as when i've just got my hand on the desk at school my brake finger sticks up from all the others :lol:

B 'ryt

ive always used 1 finger on my lever, i#whenever i try 2 i cant do anything because i cant get a goood enough grip on my bars.

What I founf though was that my lever was too far out to comfortably pull, and it was hard to pull it with one finger, but my TPA is fuuked, so it is hard to adjust where the lever sits etc. and when i adjust the brakes in the mounts to change my lever position my braking powere totally disappears. How can I sort it?

Hope that made sense!!

your tpa adjusts how far the pads are away from the rim, so therefore how far your lever moves, to move the actual lever in but not adjusting the tpa there is a little grub screw on the outside of your lever near where it fastens to the master cylinder, wind this screw in and you find the lever will move towards the handlebar, this will make absolutely no ajustment to your brake.(i think)

hope that helped.

RESPECT MY AUTHORITY

It's authoritaaaah you numpty (Y)

I always use one, used two for about a month when I first started :lol:

Though I do get real bad hand cramp pretty much every big ride I'm on, one time I actually had to slide my hand of the bars as it wouldn't open up :)