Ronnie: Tuf On The Street

Trials mama

well what can i say, went out for a ride today came off a wall at the wrong angle and bang, 3 spokes gone and a uber bend. But prawn and pierre wanted to see how stong a ronnie actually is, me and pierre jumped on it makin it straight enoguh to ride, then prawn being prawn, does a small drop, a few more spokes go, but no more bens or any thing. so he decided a few feet bigger to 7ft drop, and yet the ronnie wil not go, so we all took in turns on booning my bike until it died.

prawn wil have a vid up soon of the destruction

ronnie 1

ronnie 2

ronnie 3

deadwards :unsure:

Edited by Trials mama

he he.

Yeah man was actually quite fun. well it always is when it isnt your own bike. lol

Just to add, the rim was unreparable, huge highspot and mega buckle so we decided to test it to its limits. the rim stood 30 minutes of battering from prawn and myself and only then did it crack at the joint. quite impressive.

cheers

pierre

lads....

lads.... please....

the rim was never going to be fixed, it was the best part of f**ked before we even left the house today, with flatspots and dents all round!

it was a shoddy build with VERY cheap spokes and nasty nipples, i did my best on it, but it was beyond help really long before we did this.

deadwards, being gay, dropped his bike at a harsh angle and 3spokes just went, and because the other side had been so tight the rim just fell totally out of shape

even when we loosened ALL the spokes in the area the rim was still twisted off true by around 4'', with a pretty monster egg from the sudden loss of tension....

so, we tightened and fiddled and jumped on it till it would go round.... then i took it off a 7ft drop :unsure::)(Y)

it died in the end :(

and matt aint made of money by any means, but we have a good bunch of mates, and i can build wheels, hes been offered a brand new hog rim and a 521 free of charge, and we all have hundreds of different length spare spokes, so its not actually going to cost him a single penny at all! and he will end up with a better wheel than he started with!!!!

so stop being fussy bastards and moaning, because it was a FERKING GOOD LAUGH!!!!!

came off a wall at the wrong angle and bang, 3 spokes gone and a uber bend.

then prawn being prawn, does a small drop, a few more spokes go, but no more bens or any thing.

so he decided a few feet bigger to 7ft drop, and yet the ronnie wil not go

So some spokes broke - which will send ANY rim way out of true.

And then some MORE spoke broke, and it didnt get any worse - sounds rather strong to me.

And then a 7ft drop, and its still fixable! :unsure:

the rim stood 30 minutes of battering from prawn and myself and only then did it crack at the joint. quite impressive.

Agreed!

it was a shoddy build with VERY cheap spokes and nasty nipples

dropped his bike at a harsh angle and 3spokes just went, and because the other side had been so tight the rim just fell totally out of shape

even when we loosened ALL the spokes in the area the rim was still twisted off true by around 4'', with a pretty monster egg from the sudden loss of tension....

As any rim would!

so, we tightened and fiddled and jumped on it till it would go round.... then i took it off a 7ft drop :(:P:P

it died in the end :P

Once again, as any rim would, lol.

Sounds like it was 100% ABUSED, yet you're still saying its not tough?! (Y)

Either way, send it back and you can get another for £15 - the beauty of Onza.

Edit: After looking at the pics, those spokes do look REALLY terrible!

tarty boy! we aint saying its not tough, were saying its strong as hell!!!!

to be fair we know it was abused totally, but the rim was never going to be built back into a good true wheel, as it really was a bit buggered before this happened! and seeing as we can just build matt a new wheel free of charge it was a bit of a laugh (Y)

the point of the thread was to say just how sodding strong the damned thing was!!!! not that its weak

i love my ronnie, its awesome! although ive dented it a fair bit, it refuses to flat spot, and dents can jsut be tapped out, unlike bmfs and suvh like which flat at the first sign of a dent!

top rim (N)

I think yo r a tit aswell, could be many reasons why it went, badly built, spokes needed re tensioning, etc..........

for crying out loud!!!!!! the spokes snapped because it was a BAD BUILD NOT A BAD RIM

THE SPOKES SNAPPED BECAUSE THE BIKE WAS DROPPED VERY HARSHLY ON ITS SIDE IN A MANNER THAT WOULD UNDOUBTEDLY SNAP SPOKES ON ANY WHEELBUILD!!!!

the rim WAS NOT AT ALL fixable, im not just saying this, ive built many wheels, and used many more, and i know when i rim can be used again and when it cant.... on this occasion THE RIM WAS SCRAP!!!!!

so, we decided to see just how much abuse it would take before it finally gave up properly, and we were all pleasently surprised to find it was insanely strong, taking FAR FAR FAR more abuse than any of us expected!

now if anyone else thinks its a waste of a rim, or we have no respect for our bikes, kindly FU<K OFF- we arnt listening

(id also like to point out that none of the above is aimed at michael hardman, jsut generally at all those who havnt read the thread or understood it (N)

glad we got that sorted