Raleigh Making Trials Bikes? Hmmmn

Littleharrys

The diamondback has been out for quite a while now.

There are riders on here who use them... and some are actually very good riders.

As for the move... it's a way of Martin being able to design his own bike pretty much - Diamondback are really pushing for top riders at the moment (as are mongoose).

Just because it's Raleigh doesn't mean it's shit... I'm not sure if you're aware, but Raleigh used to have some dogs bollocks bikes back in the day (titanium Mtrax series etc) and they are also very big in America with kickass xc, dh and road bikes.

It's only over here that they release poor bikes for the market.

anyone remember Ian Cooper back in the raleigh trials days ?

I sold a load of those DB mods when i worked in the bike shop... Had a little hop around ... surprisingly they dont ride that bad. Their design is very dated but for a beginner theyre awesome.

Only problem is the pointlessness of a bash plate and a bash guard plus the fact that it has both wheels 20" rather than the normal 20 and 19" makes it feel odd.

oli

Only problem is the pointlessness of a bash plate and a bash guard plus the fact that it has both wheels 20" rather than the normal 20 and 19"  makes it feel odd.

oli

it doesn't really make it feel 'odd' because the only difference with a smaller 19" rim is that you have a taller tyre, so the wheel still becomes 20" diameter. it just means that you have the disadvantage of not being able to run as fat tyres on a 20" rim, whereas on a 19" rim you can fit some mahoosive tyres on.

i feel this because i made the switch from a t-vee (with 20" back wheel) to a t-pro (with 19" back wheel) and there was not really a different feel from the wheel department - they just rode differently because of the geometry etc.

Tom

it doesn't really make it feel 'odd' because the only difference with a smaller 19" rim is that you have a taller tyre, so the wheel still becomes 20" diameter. it just means that you have the disadvantage of not being able to run as fat tyres on a 20" rim, whereas on a 19" rim you can fit some mahoosive tyres on.

i feel this because i made the switch from a t-vee (with 20" back wheel) to a t-pro (with 19" back wheel) and there was not really a different feel from the wheel department - they just rode differently because of the geometry etc.

Tom

I'm sure you're a very clever lad but I know it feels weird because ive ridden one extensively .... theres something about it having the larger rim that's different ... dont care how much anyone says it "shouldnt" .... because it does

ive been riding a LONG time on a lot of different bikes and i notice these things

I'm sure you're a very clever lad but I know it feels weird because ive ridden one extensively .... theres something about it having the larger rim that's different ... dont care how much anyone says it "shouldnt" .... because it does

fair enough

i suppose that the bigger rims means you cannot get as much rim width, and therefore less tyre profile meaning that it could feel weird.

when i say i know because i went from a t-vee to a t-pro, i suppose it may not have felt so weird because i was learning techniques on the t-vee, and developing them on the t-pro, so i may not have really noticed much difference. however i do know that the t-pro sits nicer on the back wheel, but this too could be due to the fact that i was better on the t-pro.

like i say, fair enough

all to their own!

Tom

fair enough

i suppose that the bigger rims means you cannot get as much rim width, and therefore less tyre profile meaning that it could feel weird.

when i say i know because i went from a t-vee to a t-pro, i suppose it may not have felt so weird because i was learning techniques on the t-vee, and developing them on the t-pro, so i may not have really noticed much difference. however i do know that the t-pro sits nicer on the back wheel, but this too could be due to the fact that i was better on the t-pro.

like i say, fair enough

all to their own!

Tom

haha i hate 20" full stop... whether they have 19 or 20... feel weird or not... just cant stand em'

oli

the 26" was designed by Ian Drummond about 3 years ago, and has been on sale for about 2.

The 20" has been out for the same amount of time.

Ian Drumond doenst ride For Diamondback anymore.

Im not to sure what he is doing.

Those 2 bikes are now being bought out as Univegas, which are also owned by Raleigh.

Univega also have a better mod, that look alot like the montys.

Hawyes is yet to design a bike for Db, and is currently riding a Koxx Kenny Belaby Signature frame, painted in team Db colours.

this is just how similar they really are!

gallery_2658_583_3833.jpg

*# this picture was posted by 'simon' when the saracen and diamondback first came out somewhen last year #*

Hehe, very good. Looks rather suspicious, but I bet a lot of similarish popular frames would match up similarly. Bottom end bikes don't have much scope for originality so tend to stick with tried and tested methods.

Still an interesting comparison.

Doesn't it defy the point a little of a company having pro riders riding for them, and using custom designed frames, unavailable to everyone else, made fora bout ten times the cost of the market frames?

Doesn't benefit their building reputation all that much. Especially when it's a well known fact Hawyes is riding a Koxx.

Edited by Twilite

Ian Drummonds been riding them for a couple years now, hes real good... jonnys got ians old frame. i made a demo at my halfords and ian came down to do it, so we got one of the 26inch bikes for sale and it went within a week or 2.

to be honest, its indestructable but its the worst bike ive ever ridden. soo heavy, geo feels like ur too far forward... the standard models arent any good. almost impossible to backhop smoothly, hs11s and fuel rods which flex more than silly string :P

but as i said, they are pritty indestructable - you can tell itll take a beating.

To be fair I think the DB mod looks better then the Saracen mod, also it looks like a Brisa to me.

I love the Diamondback 20 i own one of them and it is great i spend most of time polishing it, i saved up and bought one and it has helped me loads as i think that is a great starter bike :P as for the fact of martin riding for them i think that he is to old and is all washed up really i think that he should step down and let some other younger riders into the lime light.

anyone remember Ian Cooper back in the raleigh trials days ?

Yeah the Titanium frames Raleigh had made for him are rather tasty. My mate owns two out of the 3 Ian had. Ian Cooper was a pretty f-ucking good rider at one point.

I'm Sure Phill Willams can tell us more.

Those 2 bikes are now being bought out as Univegas, which are also owned by Raleigh.

Univega also have a better mod, that look alot like the montys.

Wow, you learn a thing every day. I used to have a univega mountainbike, I loved it to bits, but I never knew they made trials bikes, although in a film on www.eengoedidee.nl called bs_style (which is a very good video of angry mod riding by the way, you should all get it), i could have sworn that near the beginning when the bike rides past the camera it says "univega on it", but just dismissed the thought thinking it was a monty. But now you say that, I went and checked the video, and there you have it, a Univega mod being ridden insanely well.

Anyone else rode one? And what are prices?