After A Year On My Beloved Proto Bt....

Prawny Baby

well.... i guess sooner or later a change was due! after a year riding my random freak geometry perfect BT raven 5.0 proto frame.... i decided it was time to make a change, perhaps to keep up with the times.... perhaps for a bike that rides differently, or perhaps just for the sake of change!!!!

whatever the reason may be, and im not totally sure myself, i decided to swap my BT frame with Davetrials for his fairly new T-rex.

so here it is....

all my lovely parts, onto a lovely shiney t-rex frame, took it for the first ride today, and i must say im VERY impressed!

it rides far better than i expected it to, after the mental geo of the bt, i didnt think anything can compare, but this really does come closer than anything thats gone before it....

awesome frame!!!!

and despite the toys R us comments, for the moment at least, i actually LIKE the paint job!!!! sadly the way ive been riding lately means it wont be mint for long... but until its seriously battered, i think ill leave it how it is :P:):P

sorry to bore you all so much

here it is :P

just on one more note.... i killed my koxx pads last week and was given a set of brand new RimJam green pads in exchange for spokes and a wheelbuild for matt (whos wheel we killed last weekend)

so far, im SERIOUSLY impressed with them....

initial impressions were that tehy were VERY thin, much thinner than any pad ive seen before, but once on the bike, tehy were very poweful within 5 minutes of riding, and worked astonishingly well in the pouring rain all day long, on a koxx rim with an average grind.

ive also seen to signs of wear after a whole days wet riding, which often aids pad wear along! no signs of rim juice of anykinda either!

really impressed, lets just hope they last!

so here it is....

Yikes - How are you with that length ? - that looks like a pretty long stem !

I've been shortening mine* for the last few weeks trying to get the right kinda feel.

I'm now on a short 60mm stem and it feels far more comfortable.

Maybe it's just me though ?

*... not shortening 'the' same stem of course, I've been swapping it out for different one's - (explanation inserted - before someone takes the opportunity for pedantry).

:P"

im sure that dave will be selling that bt very soon... :D

looks ok...just the same as everything else nowwa days to be honest. do a custom paint job prawn :P

Looks very sweet prawn but I think you should definetley do a custom paint job as those flames just look balls! :P

Go on you know you want to, somein really funky!

Rob :P :P

Edited by Rob P

ok ok ok lads....

calm down.... i may indeed so a 'funky' paint job.... the question is though.... what colour to do it?

suggestions welcome.... i could do it red like the bt was, or perhaps BRIGHT BRIGHT yellow.... or maybe a nice blue.... nothing to garish, i want to to be classy and smart, not just loud and shit....

Hmm, looks okay i supose, and u never had your Bt for any where near a year June wasn't it dude, so 9 months pha not a proper year like i had mine for :P looks quite similar to mine, but the thing is, it will ride pretty much identicle, seeing as our setups are near identicle,

Any whay, heres mine too:

gallery_84_50_32697.jpg

The Cornish BT guys are now officialy REXY babys :)

Adam

PS: mine is better :D"

BT > Onza.

The BT looked so much better.

However, its how it rides, so if rides better, then good buy :)

Still swap back to the BT though :P

Nicks Bt had way to much of a wierd Geometry, it had an increadibly steep head angle, which made it feel just plain strange, i will admit to them being awsome frames, i mean i had mine for a PROPPER year and i absolutly loved it, but there is time or changes and now is it, i love my rex feels similar to the BT but a slightly slacker head angle just makes it alittle different, gaps to front wheel on the rex feel much more stable, if u know what i mean, it is just a nice change, all i want now is to get my rear wheel back so i can give it a proper thrashing.

I am sure nicks will be knackered soon, seeing as how his riding has got, how shall i say, um..... ROUGH lately.

Adam

i think you should change the word rough to inspired adam....

ive just realised lately, that while its all very well having a nice pretty bike that everyone likes.... what really matters is riding it to its full potential and pushing your own personal limits in order to become a better rider! and judging by the way my riding started improving again lately, id say its a great thing!!!!

Looking sweet Nick :P I rode one for the first time last weekend and was pleasently suprised.

Off topic... Back in the day's of Trials UK there was a vid of you lot with a band called 'Social Distortion', just wondering what the song name was because I seem to remember it being quite good. Lost the video aswell :) ... I think it were ur guy's vid anyway :D

ok ok ok lads....

calm down.... i may indeed so a 'funky' paint job.... the question is though.... what colour to do it?

suggestions welcome.... i could do it red like the bt was, or perhaps BRIGHT  BRIGHT yellow.... or maybe a nice blue.... nothing to garish, i want to to be classy and smart, not just loud and shit....

Go for yellow, a banana yellow, like tarts old koxx if i remember rightly, im sure that would look pretty sweet :P

i have to be honest, it's nice but nowhere near how nice your BT was. i was never a fan of the coust shape though so i guess i'm biassed, they just look so heavy.

thats intersting.... i personally tink its the design taht attracted me to the frame!!!!

compared to the traditional mountain bike two triangle frames, this is FAR more suited to our type of riding in my opinion, the extra stiffness of the double seat tube deisng, with the top tub continuing down to the bb is awesome!!!! this frame is noticably MUCH stiffer than anything ive ridden before, its absolutely lovely and somehowe managed to give things a more positive feel.

ashton seemed to start the ball rolling with his top tube ideas, these new frames simply improve on a great design making it even stiffer and stronger!

all the newwe frames lately ahve been a bit more weighty.... but thats no bad thing, lets face it, frame snappage is MUCH less common these days than it was 2 years ago, with zebdis snapping al over the place.... sinse the likes of koxx.bt, and new gen echos have taken over, snapped fames have almost become a thing of the past!!!!

i snapped 7 frames in my first two years, and not a single frame sinse then.... sure, perhaps im a better smooth rider, but im also going FAR bigger than ever before....

frames have come a long way! and i honestly think this new design or something similar will eventually replace the std frame shapes as we know them...

plus it rides INCREDIBLY!!!!!

I must say, I was impressed when I got my rex. At first it felt pretty much the same as my pure...but the differences have become apparent now. Much more stable on the back wheel, very low front end, slightly longer, stiffer. All in all im pleased. Over the past few months ive stopped spending money on my bike really, but ive been riding the same ammount, if not more, and especailly in my last couple of rides, have felt myself improving, which is nice. Due to this though, my bike creaks, squeaks and whines everytime you move lol.

I think you make some great points Prawn, the frames design certainly makes sense and it probably weighs no more than the BT, I just think the frame looks too "busy" if you get my drift. I suppose the BT's are very Echo es3-4 looking and I loved that, very clean and simple. Anyway I always seem to like what you do with your bikes so I am looking forward to seeing a new colour scheme! Onza didn't do a very good job. I like Joe's thinking with the Si Sagar purple.

I must say, I was impressed when I got my rex. At first it felt pretty much the same as my pure...but the differences have become apparent now. Much more stable on the back wheel, very low front end, slightly longer, stiffer.

i never knew u had a t-rex now jon!!!! ill have to chat to you on msn about it....

i must say, i didnt notice much difference when i first rode the rex, which considering how well my bt rode, is an awesome thing! out and about everything feels really nice on it.... although the steering is a touch slower.... due to the head angle, it does feel very stable on the front wheel, and its insanely stiff!!!

Colour, Deep purple like si sagers old brisa.... (Y)

i loved that bike, ive still got a pic of it saved on my old pc! i wouldnt mind something sexy like that actually.... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-gets thinking!

I think you make some great points Prawn, the frames design certainly makes sense and it probably weighs no more than the BT, I just think the frame looks too "busy" if you get my drift. I suppose the BT's are very Echo es3-4 looking and I loved that, very clean and simple. Anyway I always seem to like what you do with your bikes so I am looking forward to seeing a new colour scheme! Onza didn't do a very good job. I like Joe's thinking with the Si Sagar purple.

i can see where your comming from alex....

ive always been a fan of clean and classic lines.... which is why i sprayed over the lightening paint job on the bt, although red isnt the classiest of colours, all the white and blue lightening on a black frame was a little too busy for my liking.,... hence my original plans to strip the rex shiney and bare!

the rex weighs almost exactly the same as the BT in actual fact! both weighing in at a little over 5lb, neither lightweight by any standards.... (other than those in the brooklyn factory!)

but these days with the advances in geometry,weight isnt nearly such an issue anymore :)

keep the comments comming guys, and watch this space.... this is rex incarnation mk1, as we all know, its almost certain to change drasticly several times before it settles down to be ridden for a year or so.... then who knows

erm mines pretty much the same with red hubs and tensiles.

God im happy with it, even though a little unsure about the magura/crank thing, but i ridden her yesterday and my god shes great fun, the rex was great, but you know me i cant keep a dam bike.

gallery_1997_54_105545.jpg
Edited by Davetrials