Text Talk?

Simon

So there i am, sitting on MSN, minding my own business, when some girl sparks up a very intelligent and highly intellectual conversation (like f**k that happened).

Anywhom, she started off with the normal "hey hey hey", then goes on to royally annoy me. With two simple words;

"ows u"

Have i missed the "get your message to your contact as fast as possible or you die" announcement by MSN, or is this exercise of missing 3 letters from a 7 letter sentence really really cool?

To top things off, she 'claims' she is 20.

Like f**k is she 20.

So, my question of the hour.

What the f**k is the fascination with text talk? What really does it achieve except for looking shit hot in front of your friends </sarcasm> and getting the message to a friend a full 0.01 seconds faster, but then takes your a friend a full second longer to read and understand it, therefor cancelling out the highly smart thing you just did by missing out letters and replacing them.

Am i the only one, or did i miss the lectures on "how to be f**king retarded in one easy sentance" at school?

Rant over.

PS: Yes i swear a lot. :)

Anyone who is 20 is too old for all this txt talk shite. It's only loser kids, generally. I think it's a sign of being an old man - thinking that kids who use it are stupid. Bloody young 'uns - It weren't like that in my day. Seriously, times are a changing and text speaking is "cool". Not much we can do about it.

Apparently using IM and Email decreases your IQ by 10 points. Not sure how people decided upon that statistic, but it was on the news today.

I'm almost certain I can type a properly written sentence faster than some 'tard can write it in text speak. They'll understand mine before I understand their's too. Plus, they won't be half as annoyed as I will be :)

It really pisses me off. ESPECIALLY when, like at the moment, people in year 11 are doing their Leavers Books where they get their friends to sign it. You see loads of shit like "iv bin avin loadz of fun with u ovr da last 3 yrs, its bin gr8".

So great, I can't be f**ked to write properly...

I'm not a spelling nazi or anything, but text speak is just so shit!

So there i am, sitting on MSN, minding my own business, when some girl sparks up a very intelligent and highly intellectual conversation (like f**k that happened).

Anywhom, she started off with the normal "hey hey hey", then goes on to royally annoy me. With two simple words;

"ows u"

Have i missed the "get your message to your contact as fast as possible or you die" announcement by MSN, or is this exercise of missing 3 letters from a 7 letter undefined sentence really really cool?

To top things off, she 'claims' she is 20.

Like f**k is she 20.

So, my question of the hour.

What the f**k is the fascination with text talk? What really does it achieve except for looking shit hot in front of your friends </sarcasm> and getting the message to a friend a full 0.01 seconds faster, but then takes your a friend a full second longer to read and understand it, therefor cancelling out the highly smart thing you just did by missing out letters and replacing them.

Am i the only one, or did i miss the lectures on "how to be f**king retarded in one easy sentance" at school?

Rant over.

PS: Yes i swear a lot.

alle

what about leet language.. woot

thechink

Edited by thechink

WTF ? Duz ne 1 no y people rite lik th@ m8 ?

It is indeed massively irritating , and a perversion of a beautiful and complex language . Being Dutch , I spent a long time learning English , and have come to prefer it to my native language , only to see it blatantly disregarded by many .

As you say it is literally pointless , saving neither time nor effort . On the rare occasions I do use MSN , I make a point of correctly annotating my sentences . There's really no excuse , and these truncated sentences aren't even punctuated correctly .

I guess I must be getting old , or am no longer "cool ." :">

EDIT: l33t is pretty interesting , being a language that cannot be spoken. Pwn3d n00b !

Edited by Endohopper

I used to use text speak alot, as a result of MSN and everything, but then i started writing like that in school work, so I started typing properly. Now it really annoys me if someone talks in text talk, i dont use text talk in texts or on msn anymore!

Argh i agree i usually block someone if they start talking really bad text talk!

Kerrie.

P.s y35 1337 15 c001 lol.

I'm not a spelling nazi or anything, but text speak is just so shit!

I'm getting into a bit of a spelling nazi :">

I'm not even good at English in the slightest!

That's what confuses me. But hey. B'ryt. I just think that if you write something out properly, it'll be read properly, and you'll be taken seriously. To be quite honest, If someone starts off a post with some random shitty "txt talk" then I won't read on. Or i'll pick out where they've gone adrift, and suggest maybe looking words up in Google.

I've looked up one word for this (adrift) and It was to check that it wasn't 'a drift' or what it wasn't slang or such. I regularly look up words, just because you look like even more of a 'tard if you can't spell, when you're trying to correct someone's spelling!

Anyways. Simon, I agree!

Nick

Since I've gone on OTN more, text speak and general crappy language skills have been more obvious to me.  You can really tell who the UK people are on there, to put it one way.

See, this is another point. It seems to only be UK people that "type" it, and i see no reason. We are educated to (what i think) is a high standard of english. Saying that, i got a B in english, and look at me :).

Thing is, everyone likes to stereotype people who text talk as chavs, when it actually isn't at all. Yes "they" text talk, but "goths" or "grunges" or what ever cool stereotype names you use, text talk too.

I need to do like an investigation or something into this.

"Text talk - The documentary"

:)

It's also not really spelling im getting at, as that can be excused to a certain extent, its the purposly mispelling of words to shorten their length and time spent to type them.

Can't believe people even write it now too :)

Even stuff like basic punctuation would make about 75% of the shit posts on here non-shit. When you just get a stream of non-punctuated words, it's just makes you not wanna bother reading it.

And, as someone's signature says:

"Capitalisation means the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off a horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off a horse" :)

It seems to only be UK people that "type" it, and i see no reason.

Not actually true...in france people use text talk just as much. Too many times have I seen "we 2m1 jte capt o cine, jtm BB." :)

So yeah, text talk is wank, but hey it's "cool" now so there's nothing you can do about it.

P.S: 1337 t@lk ownz!!!oneone11one!!

people invented txt talk becasue ages back text messages could only have a certain amount of characters and so they had to shortern the words to fit more in.

I still agree that it should be banned forever though, i don't even txt in txt talk, i xt with commas and full stops and question marks. :)

people invented txt talk becasue ages back text messages could only have a certain amount of characters and so they had to shortern the words to fit more in.

Thats the basics, some people went crazy texting, like 20 a day. So they got so used to it, it came out on MSN and such.

I used the odd words on msn like 'u' and '2mor', but nothing that people can't read. Whne i'm on TF i just look at then screen and go into normaly typing mode.

Text messages are still only a certain number of characters (160?). Except now, phones are clever enough to join two messages together, but it's still twice the cost.

I R the FORUM SPELLING NAZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111oneoeneoneoneoneeleven.

But yeh, it gets on me wazzock. I don't mind missing grammar etc, but is that hard to change iz to is. Which is actually more distance for your hands to travel, no I didn't measure it with a ruler :)

Oh my god! How is it babyish? People might want to use it to talk to people, its their life let them live it how the fukking like! For god sake! Everyone has a right on how to type, let them do what they want!!! My mum does text talk on msn and she is 36, are you still going to complain? What about your friends? Your parents/cousins/brothers/sisters etc, are they perfect too? Some might be but some arent! How about I say trials is a teenage/kids thing, so anyone 20+ is childish.

Meh! Let people do what they want.

EDIT: I understand masses of text talk is annoying/bad but they odd bits like "ows u" and "or8" and "c you" etc what the hells wrong with it?

Edited by Corish

I can condone the use of text speak for text messages. I for one don't really like using two texts when with a couple of removed letters will reduce it to one. Yet on here and on msn, where there is no character limit I don't see the necessity. Ok, I could deal with a lack of capitals (given the correct punctualtion to mark the ends of scentences), but as most of you have said, text speak just makes life harder.

A friend of mine who is 21 insists on using text speak on msn. but this is beacuse he is new to it and has been used to using text speak in his text messages. Surfice to say I am slowly bringing him round, but it still annoys the crap out of me when he comes online and says "alrite m8".

Oh my god! How is it babyish? People might want to use it to talk to people, its their life let them live it how the fukking like! For god sake! Everyone has a right on how to type, let them do what they want!!! My mum does text talk on msn and she is 36, are you still going to complain? What about your friends? Your parents/cousins/brothers/sisters etc, are they perfect too? Some might be but some arent! How about I say trials is a teenage/kids thing, so anyone 20+ is childish.

Meh! Let people do what they want.

Ok, i want to go and blast some tuunage out of my speakers in my bedroom right now, oh no wait i cant because if i did someone would more than likely call the police and complain yes thats right, someone is stopping me from living my life how i like :)

aaaanywho, its there opinion anyway if they dont like text talk then fair enough, the only time i use it is if im sending a text so that i can fit everything into one text, so i dont get charged two :) , or the odd words on msn such as ''u'' and ''r'' i dont go overboard n strt ritn lik dis so that its propa ard 2 undastnd.

I think its pretty pointless and it probably takes more effort to try and type like it than to actually just type out the whole word :)

Ok, i want to go and blast some tuunage out of my speakers in my bedroom right now, oh no wait i cant because if i did someone would more than likely call the police and complain yes thats right, someone is stopping me from living my life how i like  :)

aaaanywho, its there opinion anyway if they dont like text talk then fair enough, the only time i use it is if im sending a text so that i can fit everything into one text, so i dont get charged two  :) , or the odd words on msn such as ''u'' and ''r'' i dont go overboard n strt ritn lik dis so that its propa ard 2 undastnd.

I think its pretty pointless and it probably takes more effort to try and type like it than to actually just type out the whole word  :)

I know what you mean, I don't mean it about everything you know, things that won't harm anyone else is doing nothing wrong though is it? Whats a bit of txt talk going to do to someone? Is it going to stop you from sleaping at night? Give you backache? Nah its not. My point is why ramble on about text talk? Its just there way of expressing how they say things.

I would moan about it if it was on here, thats because this place has rules, MSN doesn't.

Edited by Corish

I know what you mean, I don't mean it about everything you know, things that won't harm anyone else is doing nothing wrong though is it? Whats a bit of txt talk going to do to someone? Is it going to stop you from sleaping at night? Give you backache? Nah its not. My point is why ramble on about text talk? Its just there way of expressing how they say things.

I would moan about it if it was on here, thats because this place has rules, MSN doesn't.

Yeh i thought i would take my reply out of context a bit :)

but no doesnt really bother me all the time, but its quite annoying understanding some of it as some people come out with random ways of spelling words and its like ''huh? what does that say'' then by the time theyve spelt it properly for you they coulvde just done it like that in the first place.

Like some people say ''kl'' when they are trying to say ''cool'' and its like :) if you look at the keys on your keyboard you will notice k and l are near o and k so you might think they are trying to say ok and not cool and just random stuff like that. :)

All the immature girls under 16 think its kool to do, i dont understand why, my gf does it all the time, i moan at her she relpys with an essay written in text talk, i dont mind the odd

"u"

or "R"

But when she has a dictionary full of the stuff it can start to get annoying.

How about I say trials is a teenage/kids thing, so anyone 20+ is childish.

That's a pretty stupid thing to say. Doesn't make any sense. Although trials does seem to be overun by young people. Maybe trials is childish? Maybe I'm getting old. Anyway, you have to admit writing stuff like iz, mi, du etc is just stupid. And "or8" sounds nothing like alright...

Stupid kids >_< ( :turned: )

Like some people say ''kl'' when they are trying to say ''cool'' and its like  >_<  if you look at the keys on your keyboard you will notice k and l are near o and k so you might think they are trying to say ok and not cool and just random stuff like that. (N)

See, this is the thing. I was talking to someone for a bit, and they kept using "kl". I just assumed they was hitting "l" on their way to the enter button after typing "k". Then she used it some wierd context and i had to ask what the hell it mean't.

I can understand in text's, but why on MSN or forums,. There's no charecter limit, there's not a time limit, and it just makes you look like a 12 year old.

Corish, if i spoke to your mum on MSN, and she started to text talk, i would instantly assume it was your younger sister of 14 or something. I'm sorry, but what does text talk achieve? I've already explained how its actually slower to understand, and even type in some cases as monkey has pointed out.

Except in a charecter limited enviroment, there is no way text talk can be defended. No it doesn't effect the way i sleep, but it damn well effects my annoyance factor on MSN/A forum when someone uses it, and consiquently takes me ages to figure out what on earth there saying.

And er Corish, i am letting people do what they wan't. I was simply pointing out how 'utter wank and what a pointless excersise it is. :turned: