Best Pedals!

Apollo13

VP Double Cage - also sold as Planet X, Try-All, Echo etc., but actually they're all the same (the only differences are colours and stickers). There are also Monty Double Cages - like VP's but have stronger, 7075 cages.

Weight - about 450 grams.

My experience - good enough for biketrials - grippy (if not to your shoes - stick to shins very well (Y) ) and light and my vp's started to come loose just after 6-7 months of usage - comparing to platforms (Wellgo) of my mates coming loose after FEW MINUTES of ride it's excellent result, don't it?

There is also a minus - if you often land on pedals, the cages will quite easily bend (Monty cages are stiffer and don't bend so fast).

Remember to tighten cage bolts every ride or at least once a week - that will slightly decrease cage bending.

206119_97g.jpg
Edited by zordon

DMR V12's at $30 a pair they may seem expensive but I have still got mine from 4 years ago they have been on every bike Ive owned, from downhill, to street and trials and apart from not much pin life left and the bearings needing replacing as of a few months ago they are the best value pedals money can buy.

Ive never even serviced them and Im pretty damm harsh on my pedals as I used to grind on them.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

wihout a doubt, i'd say that V12's are the best "price -life" ratio

i'm using Shimano MX30's (DX Platforms) nice and light, but the pins that come with them are a bit soft, think i'm going to have to get some DMR pins "modified" (bodged :) ) into them

• 1 month later...

I think my shin digs are really good, I have only had them on my bike for 2 months, but I have had them on my unicycle, so they take a beating, for arround 5 months and they are still holding up good, and my feet never slip off them.

Ding.

• 6 months later...

I have rode alot of different pedals now and though maybe i could help.

My choice-

ODYSSEY Pedals Cielencki Alu Loose £25

If you ride heavy, hit pedals hard, bend axles, destroy bearings and rip out pins then these are the ones.

A little on the heavy side at 700grams. And also the bearings loosen quickly but don't break.

Bear in mind for £70 you can get magnesium/ sealed ones which weigh in at 560 grams.

Personally that is alot of money but your choice.

Just for reference, i have rode;

Primo Tendorisers,

Shimano DX,

V12, (never actually owned a pair though)

V8, (never actually owned a pair though)

Gusset,

VP,

Odyssey Southgate,

Triple Traps,

and all those ones that everyone else has rode eg, primo, triple trap!

Hope this helps (Y)

[edit]

After riding natural a bit now but also riding in the mud and rain i run DX32's again.

The slight concaved pedal feels nice under your feet conpaired to super flat pedals.

However the pins can get raped easily. If you would like to look after your 50 pound pedals just run pins on one side. Thats what i do and it works perfectly if not slightly annoying.

Shimano DX32 for winter or JC pedals for sumer.

It does help to have grippy shoes.

Edited by eskimo

I f**king hated my Cielinki pedals. They were the least grippy pedals I'd ever used. I fell off a good few times purely 'cos I'd hop and my feet wouldn't actually stay on the pedals. My brother took my bars to the chest when he had a go on my bike and slipped both pedals.

To be honest, my Azonic X-Pedals have been pretty much the perfect pedals. They're super light, they've taken abuse for a year now, and they're fine. I've lost one pin that didn't strip the body so I could fire a new one in there if I wanted to, and they look cool :P Either way, they've kept spinning nice and smooth (unlike DMRs), haven't pissed pins out unlike DMRs), and nothing broken or dead on them (unlike all my DMRs). All good (Y) They cost more to begin with, but before I went sealed I'd be buying new pedals once every 2-3 months, so I've saved money over the year I've had them just by running these bad boys.

• 2 weeks later...

i just fell in love with gusset slim jims

not the pink ones, they're gay. Im talking about the lovely black ones.

they have cunning removable pins that screw in from underneath, they're concaved so your foot actually sticks to them (unlike your average DX copy) and they're slim vertically which for some reason feels really nice compared to big fat b*****d V8s.

anyway, yeah / gusset slim jims are great - but not in pink

• 5 weeks later...

got some v8's and after a week pretty much all the pins had either jus come out or actualy ripped out through the peddal!!! wtf, they suck and also they came well loose after a few weeks, the shinny lil silver ring thats meant to cover the bearins always slips down next to the cranks arms etc, i had some welgo peds, shit grip ace bearings, im gettin some VP's in a few days and ill post again later as a review..lol cheers.. adrian

got some v8's and after a week pretty much all the pins had either jus come out or actualy ripped out through the peddal!!! wtf, they suck and also they came well loose after a few weeks, the shinny lil silver ring thats meant to cover the bearins always slips down next to the cranks arms etc, i had some welgo peds, shit grip ace bearings, im gettin some VP's in a few days and ill post again later as a review..lol cheers.. adrian

It was suppost to be a best pedals topic but oh well.

Just to review-

Odyssey Jim Cielencki Pedals- My favourites of all time.

Shimano DX Pedals- Would be a favourite but i hit my pedal to much to use them. Otherwise they rule.

• 2 weeks later...