Single Speed Or Gears?

TrialsMan

what do you prefer Gears or single speed?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. what do you prefer Gears or single speed?

• Gears
    • Single speed

I like single speed a little bit better i soppose. i am running that on my DH bike and trials bike. I like it more because it doesn't bend and break as much. I jsut think it is less hasle. but i do like gears becuase it is easier to pedal and you can have it in all diffrent ratios so...

Chris (Y)

I would never have a stock with gears. Never.

All that extra cables and cogs. Not worth it.

(Y)

Edited by JT!

I prefer the simplicity and ( slight ) weight saving that SS offers once I'm on target at a spot , but getting there can be annoying .

I can't stand actually cycling around between spots , perhaps I should use that time to work on manuals . As stated above , going singlespeed leaves the bar uncluttered with unneccesary cabling .

I dont like using gears as constant shifting of gears causes faster chain and cog wear. and with the worries of chains snapping, i dont want to increase the chances! also, if you land on your mech, your pritty much guaranteed to never get your gears running smoothly again!

Its a Trials bike! not a XC or luxary bike! go SS!

Ry

Depends on what sort of dropouts are on the frame.

I'm yet to find a good tensioner.

buy a leeson then you dont have to worry about the drop outs (Y)

i dride SS atm but i'm changing to gears (probably) so i can ride comps, if you didn't have to have gears for comps then i'd probably never change over from SS

buy a leeson then you dont have to worry about the drop outs  (Y)

Why?

Does yours have horizontal dropouts? Or a built in chain tensioner that works?

(Yes I know some new models have the KISS tensioner)

I might run years, yea, I like the idea of them.

New wheel time.

I prefer single speed but will be going back to gears due to the british championship starting soon :- oh well (Y)

rholloff(sp) are ment to be really good. i have a forge, bolted into my dropouts. 

get one (Y) they are soooo smooth and the tension is amazing better than a mech i'd say :P

shame about the price though :P

Edited by Xdream

Well, i have a fully working 8 speed cassette, and a mech. However, i have removed gripshift, and cut cable down so its still in barrell adjuster. Basically means i have around 3 working gears, but have to be changed manually at with the barrell.

Keeps the chain nicely tensioned too with a locked out mech.

Personally going from single speed to gear's was good for me, I prefer to use the lower one's to get around etc. and the higher couple for trials, you get good tension on the chain and look's better than single speed in my eye's. So for the first time, gears ! (Y)

Personally going from single speed to gear's was good for me, I prefer to use the lower one's to get around etc. and the higher couple for trials, you get good tension on the chain and look's better than single speed in my eye's. So for the first time, gears !  :(

does the chain ever slip? :)" :)

I have always run gears and dont seem the problem with them. Spots are quite far away and with my highest gear i can go almost twice as fast than with my trials gear. As for chain tension and chain slippage, i have NEVER in my 2.5years of riding trials had my chain slip off. Also people say about getting rid of stupid thin chains, i run XTR chains and last me 9-10months before breaking so i dont see thats a problem either. My gears set up is probably lighter than a SS set up anyway, by the time you take into account the steel sprokets and bmx chains. not that it really matters anyway.

Also i very rarly hit my mech. Only once have i needed to change my mech hanger.

Meh gears for me...

Seb :(

i switch from single speed to gears all the time, when iam bored ill whack some gears on to gimme something to do, each have their advantages.

Think is ive never found a 7/8 spd chain that holds, so i end up using a bmx chain with bigger spacing between the casette rings, and space out the jockey wheels in the mech, so you can run about 4 good gears with a strong chain, thats what ive done, no problems with it.

I run single speed, but if I could run a reliable set of gears, with a good chain I would, but with the little 16t chain ring up front half of the gears would be super easy, and I wouldn't have a very good 'getting about' gear. Plus I'm not really too much of a whiz with cassettes :(