What Ratios people Run On Mods?

I did run 18/12 (with 158mm cranks) but the other week I got really pissed off with not getting fast enough drive for certain moves.

So I changed to a 13t cog on my profile and things are waaaay better now :- The quicker drive feels so much nicer and I am very pleased I changed so far... (Y)

I did run 18/12 (with 158mm cranks) but the other week I got really pissed off with not getting fast enough drive for certain moves.

So I changed to a 13t cog on my profile and things are waaaay better now  :) The quicker drive feels so much nicer and I am very pleased I changed so far...  :(

Don't listen to Tic, unless you too are of Hobbit proportions! I have almost always run 18:12 with 158's and if it's good enough for Ot and Cesar it's good enogh for me! Had a short stint with 20:13 with 158's but only to try sort out my chain length in the absence of a half link.

18:12's always given me enough power to backwheel big stuff (~48") and pedal gap 10ft plus.

Dave

just at the min it feels strage, i didnt ride for a year not started again but on a mod rather than a stock. gapping feels really weird. like not enough power, when i do gap it seems to flick and when i make it im to steep to keep up on it lol. taking some getting used to :(

18/12 is what most mod riders will have, my mate had that ratio but he got a bmx hub which came with a 13T so he used that instead and first on it was well nice, he has a T-pro 04 and Monty cranks :(

like not enough power, when i do gap it seems to flick and when i make it im to steep to keep up on it lol. taking some getting used to  :(

You DEFINITELY don't want 13t at the rear then. Try getting used to it - a small chenge in technique will help a lot. Jump your body more, use spring rather than trying to 'pedal' yourself across the gap :)

Yep, 98% of us ride with 18:12.

:(

I'm in the 2%, Woo!

So I changed to a 13t cog on my profile and things are waaaay better now  :) The quicker drive feels so much nicer and I am very pleased I changed so far...  :)

Exactly the same as me. I used to run 18:12 on my Python, with 158mm cranks, but it was just too hard. So i took a gambel of £20 and got a 13t rear cog. And it's truely awesome. I love it to bits.

:(

So I changed to a 13t cog on my profile and things are waaaay better now  (Y) The quicker drive feels so much nicer and I am very pleased I changed so far...  (Y)

You want longer cranks :) All the power of 18:12, but it's easier to get to with more leverage. So you've still got the power of 18:12 without limiting yourself to 18:13 ;)

I've got the 175mm version Tensiles on my T-Pro and it really sexes me up. Power moves are about a katrillion times easier, and everything else is just dandy.

Mark

You want longer cranks (Y)  All the power of 18:12, but it's easier to get to with more leverage.  So you've still got the power of 18:12 without limiting yourself to 18:13 (Y)

I've got the 175mm version Tensiles on my T-Pro and it really sexes me up.  Power moves are about a katrillion times easier, and everything else is just dandy.

Mark

Why is going for a bigger cog on the back limiting me?

To be honest its helped loads. I am now able to run a tight chain without my wheel being right back in the drop outs, I am also able to set the brake up without the pad being really close to the tyre due to this better wheel position...

If I change to longer cranks I always have the barely used 12t cog sat in the tool box spare and at the end of the day this cog cost me peanuts 2nd hand off a local (Cheers Fred ;) )

Instead of going for a longer crank with more leverage I have gone for a larger cog making it easyer to pedal, this makes the same difference really :)"

160, I believe? Or the 158-160mm mark anyway, 'cos the last pair of Musclemans I had said "160" on the side...

Tic - what I meant is that with the 18:12 gearing, I've still got that much power available to me. However, if I had 18:13 gearing, there wouldn't be the same power... to think of it another way, you can go faster in 5th gear than you can in 1st, yeah? Basically, I'm keeping it in fifth, but with the longer cranks, it feels like first (Y) So you get shitloads of power, with a bit extra, if you see what I mean?

I run 18:12 with echo cranks. I did use 22:12 at one point. It was nice for traveling from place to place. But it just felt hard work in certain areas of my riding. I liked it for back wheeling as i found i could hurl myself at walls with loads of speed.