Try-alls Shoes

aaroncosbey

this was becoming quite of an issue for me after i want through 2 pairs of shoes with in a year: koxx try-all boots and a pair of adidas climacools. It seemed that my DMR terror pins had a blood thirst for foam and flesh from my shins!

Try-allshoes.jpg

so....i went about trying to get, yet another replacement for my pedals to devour

There were two main options: another pair of koxx try-all boots from bikedock to last me another season for £60 quid or a pair of the famous coustelliers: the only problem i had were that they had a similar shitty foam sole that would only last another 1/2 season and cost £90!!! + Ribo's are just taking the piss for a piece of leather.

shoes.jpg

My patients were running thin and so were the soles on my climacools, so much so that there were 3 holes on the right shoe and 1 in the in-step of my foot!

Until one day - i decided to call into the shoe zone (cheapy shoe shop) where all footware was priced in single figures.

I found these:

trialsshoes.jpg

perfect foam based soles, no laces = compared to my koxx try-all shoes these are 1/2 the weight!!!! ;)

reciept.jpg

They are dead comfortable, they fit well & are basically disposable.

They perform better than my koxx try-all's and are lighter!!!!

The Reciept says it all!

go to www.shoezone.net and search for your nearest store.

:)

Edited by aaroncosbey

If those have foam soles, will they not just rip. Surly rubber is better?

From my experience its a trade........performance or wear

if you want; wear DCs with a hard rubber sole and they will last forever

But if you look - all the top riders have foam soles and all trials shoes have foam soles. My point is that cheapy foam soled shoes will give you 1st class performance with out the associated costs.

And if they do die after a year = £8 is easier to pay to replace them rather than £90 for RIBOS

:)

mine look like urs mate and i have probally only ideen about a total of 2 months on them.

what you rekon cleanbikes will say when i tell them?

do you think there is anychance of new pair for them or will i be wasting my time?

thanks ian

The Ribo shoes have a completely different sole to the Try-Alls :)

They look decent for the cash though!

so are you reccomending the ribo's then adam, would you say they are worth 80-90 squiders. im not sure they are.

im certainly going to have to look at some new shoes in the near future. just thinking i would prefer something with ankle support (having weak ligaments in my ankles)

cheers

ben

ah ok, well i mean light support, not extensive support, anyone who has the try-alls will know that they are very flexible around the ankle however they do offer better suppost than any other shoe i have used. think ill be checking out tk-maxx for something like this to ride with.

meh, god i hate having no god damn money

cheers

ben

My patients were running thin

you a doctor or something?

Sorry, couldn't resist it... ;)

The Ribo's are pretty damn good and mine have shown no sign of ripping in the soles, however I have just broken off the damn ratchet buckle on one of them, a royal pain in the arse to try and fix.

may have to try some of those ones you found :)

Rich

mine look like urs mate and i have probally only ideen about a total of 2 months on them.

do you think there is anychance of new pair for them or will i be wasting my time?

thanks ian

I was in exactly the same position as you not long ago.... i even contacted koxx fr. and they were symphatec - but not interested in the slightest.

bottom line is:

YOu pays your money...and gets your foam

even though the ribos have a different sole than the try-alls, it is still foam and will start to rip in the usuall places.

Finally in terms of ankle support _ you gotta be joking! you get the same effect from wearing 2 pairs of socks ;)

if you want ankle support you'd have as much luck with these:

313.jpg

LOL :)

The soles on the Ribo and Try-All shoes are not foam. 'Foam' is usually made from EVA rubber or PU. PU is not used often due to its poor frictional properties.

They will most likely be made from a moulded and un-foamed blend of PVC and SBR Rubber. Just think the abuse a set of pins gives soles :) Foam wouldn't last 2 minutes.

One small thing - Aaron, your shoes may last a little longer if you get your foot on the pedal more squarely ;)

Ribo's are the shit mate, the soles are completely different to try alls and the shoes are lots tougher too! I've had mine for nearly a year and all the leather is in good condition still just a few holes in the seams, nothing to worry about though...

Cheers,

Joe.

ah ok, well i mean light support, not extensive support, anyone who has the try-alls will know that they are very flexible around the ankle however they do offer better suppost than any other shoe i have used. think ill be checking out tk-maxx for something like this to ride with.

meh, god i hate having no god damn money

cheers

ben

Skate shoes with padded ankley bits work OK if you do the laces up pretty tight :) I hate rolling my ankles, so all my shoes are really tight (as in, I actually use the laces to tighten my shoe, not run them super flappy or anything).

I don't really see why people can't just use a decent pair of BMX shoes to ride trials in. I'm currently wearing my Orchid "Teems". Super comfy, super grippy (really good sole on them, both pattern wise and also material - they've got that "gum" sole thing going on), and you can actually wear them for more than just trials in without looking like a tit ;)

Its hard to find shoes with ankle support. The only ones I know of are the 661s.

try some basket ball boots thats what i use, and they id dare say rule for me. cost £80 though :) but i used them before riding. but theres cheaper ones about. ;)

Yer i think he is referring to foam on the tryalls, like when the rubber gets holes and the foam from the insert comes out. Anyway my tryalls are coming up for 6 months soon, but ill be getting another pair when they completely die.

Im sorry but them 8pound shoes are the shoes that spags wear there truely shocking.

Ribos are the shit the sole is solid and they are realy comfy well worth the 80quid.

Imo skate shoes are crap for trials theres just no feal of the pedal there and normal running trainers dont last to long.

The way i see it is ribos are the only way forward, also i cant ever remember anyone who owns them complaining about them all i ever hear is people who havnt got them complaining about the price.

If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Ice cream doesn't have bones.

Now I know why I set my controls to ignore Adamm's posts.

I wear skate shoes for street (etnies/vans/DVS's) and have Monty pixie boots to get muddy at comps. Having worn them almost entirely for comps, they've lasted me the best part of 4 years and I'll probably just get another pair when they die (which is about now).

Dave

The soles on the Ribo and Try-All shoes are not foam. 'Foam' is usually made from EVA rubber or PU. PU is not used often due to its poor frictional properties.

They will most likely be made from a moulded and un-foamed blend of PVC and SBR Rubber. Just think the abuse a set of pins gives soles  (Y) Foam wouldn't last 2 minutes.

One small thing - Aaron, your shoes may last a little longer if you get your foot on the pedal more squarely :deej:

Adam - i'm not a complete spaz! i know that the soles are not made of foam.

Who cares what compounds the rubber is made from = the shoes obviously dont work right - and thats why i started the topic

YOu are quite definsive about trials shoes = you must sell them or something :)

my foot position on the pedal is fine = how is yours?

Easy tiger!

Don't sell any trials shoes at Tartybikes, I was merely pointing out what parts are made from what, since you were adamant about the sole being foam:

'all the top riders have foam soles and all trials shoes have foam soles.'

'or a pair of the famous coustelliers: the only problem i had were that they had a similar shitty foam sole that would only last another 1/2 season and cost £90!!!'

'even though the ribos have a different sole than the try-alls, it is still foam and will start to rip in the usuall places.'

Foot position was something I noticed when looking at the picture - theres a hole (which looks to be from a pedal pin, since there are only 2 holes in the actual sole) in the instep of the shoe. Which may mean you've only got approx 2/3 of your foot on the shoe, promoting premature wear.

My foot position is pretty decent as it happens... although that's not really what this thread is about (Y)

I'm thinking of buying the monty shoes. It seems like the try-all shoes are crap, and get worn out quickly. Dont't know about the ribos, they are too expensive.

Anyway, does anyone here have the monty shoes, apart from "monkeyseemonkeydo"?

Do they worn out fast, good grip etc??