The Big Question

boon racoon

I would never have guessed!  :P Thank god I don't have to dodge flys in my car now.  I knocked down twelve walls and killed 16 pedestrians today alone.

Edit:  It would be good though, if you could say arm police helicopters with flys in a big cage and when there is a car chase they release the flys and the rotors blow them down onto the road bringing the car to an imediate halt.  This shit could save lives.  We need more people like me on the force.

Absolutely hilarious. Literally lol'ing. ;) :D :">

Momentum (kgm/s) = mass (kg) x velocity (m/s) yeh?

So if the train's going really slowly, say 10 m/s (same as a sprinter), and weighs what, 10 (metric) tonnes (= 10,000kg), so it's momentum = 10,000 * 10 = 1,000,000 kgm/s.

And a fly weighs what 1g (=0.001kg)?

Under the "conservation of momentum", ignoring air resistance etc, this means that if a fly which had a mass of 1g was going at 1,000,000,000 m/s (2,236,000,000 miles an hour), then it could stop a train which had a mass of 10 tonnes and was going at 10 m/s (22.36mph)

Man I'm bored. (Y)

:D

Boys, prepare to be amazed (Y)

These are the answers you seek.

They Fly can stop the train, as it can fly into Mr Burns Office, and sit on the power off button, and as Monty tries to kill it, he pushes the button, but as hes soooo weak, they fly will live, so no power = No train action.

Q2 If its a good slinky, the metal kind, it will go forever.

If its a cheap crappy Pound Wizard slinky, it wont do anything, as they suck, and dont work.

Now, this is the real question:

If a tree falls in a Forest, and no one is around, will it make a sound?

The sound waves are still there. The only variable in the situation of a tree falling and there being someone there and a tree falling and no-one being there is the sound wave receptor (i.e. your ear). The absence of this doesn't change the impact creating sound waves.

If a tree falls in the forest, and no-ones around, how would they know a tree had fallen over in the forest anyway?

The sound waves are still there.  The only variable in the situation of a tree falling and there being someone there and a tree falling and no-one being there is the sound wave receptor (i.e. your ear).  The absence of this doesn't change the impact creating sound waves.

Depends what you think sound is though. Random vibrations in the air aren't sound unless there is a person to hear them and convert them into sounds.

well mike...

i didn't see it like that  :-

I used the formula: (conservation of momentum)

m1u1 + m2u2= m1v1 + m2v2

lets say m1 is the train (10,000kg) and m2 is the fly (0.001kg)

as you said..the train is moving at 10m/s

using the COM:

10,000(10) + 0.001(u2) = 10,000(v1) + 0.001(v2)

you see...we don't know how fast the fly will "bounce" off the train yet...but, we'll say that the train stops...therefore:

100,000+ 0.001u2= 0.001v2

To work out how fast the fly will bounce at...i'll use newton's coefficient of restitution:

e= speed of separation/ speed of approach

now lets assume e is between o and 1 (reasonable  (Y) )....

therefore e= v2/10-u2

so v2= 10e - eu2

We know that 100,000 + 0.001u2= 0.001v2

so 100,000 + 0.001u2= 0.001(10e- eu2)

100,000 + 0.001u2= 0.01e - 0.001eu2

lets say e=1 (now)

therefore 0.001u2= 0.01-0.001u2 - 100,000

u2= -49999995 m/s

If e=0

u2= -100000000 m/s

don't worry that they are -ve (they are moving in the opposite dir. to the train...)

if v2= 10e - eu2

v2= 50000005

= 5.0 x 10^7m/s

I don't know who is right..i'v done some assuming....and typing it out gets really confusing  >_<

my speed is possible....with a big gun  >_<

anyways...anyone else doing mechanics 2 tomorrow?

adam

Someone has probally already put this, but i couldnt be bothered to read all 4 pages to find out.. your mathmatical theorys , altho theoryadically(sp) correct, are infact wrong. If a fly was travelling that fast towards a train, it would either create the biggest Bug VS windscreen SPLAT in the history of fly's VS windscreen (maby leaving big crack, or smashing the window) OR if it is a musclly fly, it would go straight throught the train, like a bullet going through something. There is not enough surface area for the fly to make effect to the trains speed.

Maby it might make a decrease in the trains speed by like 0.0001 MPH? but lots of things could do that.

I do though recon THE FLY from the old horror movie could stop a train, if it was to squirt acid at either the driver, causing him to die and let go of the controls and allow the emergancy brakes to come on. Or by begin run over by the train, causing its acid blood to go over the brake lines, bursting them, causing the air pressure to drop and allowing the brakes to come on.

-Here is another question... You see all these space ships (in moovies) doing light speed, now, what happens if they hit a few planets etc while doing hyperspeed/lightspeed/warpspeed? would the spaceship die, or would it pass straight through it due to the mental speed its traveling?

Ry

Edited by RyanRs