Share Your Knowledge

joker05

Hello I've been offer a rear wheel for £20,which is okay and its got a "Silent clutch" It looks like a normal hub but one end is bigger.I looked all around it it doesn't say any thing and i can't work out how it works and what is does.When my friend used it on his bike and pedal hopped it made a "Wooh" sound(like air is being forced around inside the hub) and it's definitely that, it's not the tires or any thing.

Does any one have any idea about these hubs,if so please help. :D

:( :P

yeah i think they kind of work like a clutch does on a car with friction, hense the woosh noise you heard, anyway you can't get spares for them anymore and they won't last for trials so when you break it which you probably will, you'll just have to shell out more money for a new wheel

The silent clutch is the best hub Shimano make for trials.

It has *instant* engagement, and lasts a fair while longer than their standard freehub efforts.

It's heavy though, and tends to go very, very well when they do go.

The whirring noise is likely to be the bearings.

A guy who i rode with had one, quite interesting. The problem he had is that because of the way it works it put alot of forse outwards, and therefor cracked his casing.

They have a spongy feel, so it isn't quite instant engagement, but it is very consistant like when you using a normal hub it can engage quicker and slower depending on the position of the pawls, but with this hub it's the same distence all the time.

Only skipped on him once aswell. I think they're a good idea really, it's a shame they weren't experimented with a bit more.

A friend of mine used to run one for about a year and he had no problems at all. His technique to 'keep it sweet' was to apply a bit of pressure to the pedals to make sure it has engaged properly before putting more pressure on.

sounds a bit much but it never skipped and its looks and sounds a lot smoother than slamming into an engagement every time he wanted to hop.

A friend of mine used to run one for about a year and he had no problems at all. His technique to 'keep it sweet' was to apply a bit of pressure to the pedals to make sure it has engaged properly before putting more pressure on.

sounds a bit much but it never skipped and its looks and sounds a lot smoother than slamming into an engagement every time he wanted to hop.

get it leon.

A guy who i rode with had one, quite interesting. The problem he had is that because of the way it works it put alot of forse outwards, and therefor cracked his casing.

They have a spongy feel, so it isn't quite instant engagement, but it is very consistant like when you using a normal hub it can engage quicker and slower depending on the position of the pawls, but with this hub it's the same distence all the time.

Only skipped on him once aswell. I think they're a good idea really, it's a shame they weren't experimented with a bit more.

Yeh, the majority of them go by the hub shell/free hub body cracking, so i hear.

And as you have said, it feels like you're riding with an elastic band as a chain.

Still, they're pretty cheap.

Stealth were making one, never found out what happened in the end? Anyway the "silent clutch system" is also known as and originally called the torington system. Where basically the inside of the hub is usually made from bearings, but I guess you could use needles If you wanted. One in a triangle sort of thing.

torington5xa.png

Normally the hub is more complex and slightly more accurate, lol.

ash.

Edited by ash-kennard

Stealth were making one, never found out what happened in the end? Anyway the "silent clutch system" is also known as and originally called the torington system. Where basically the inside of the hub is usually made from bearings, but I guess you could use needles If you wanted. One in a triangle sort of thing.

Normally the hub is more complex and slightly more accurate, lol.

ash.

EDIT: bare with me im doing it.

The Stealth came out, but was heavy.

Andy P used one for a while i think (Y)

There should be a thread on it somewhere, try a search :blink:

Animation of how the silent clutch system works (sorta) here:

http://www.rbdesign.sk/en/en_index.htm

-> Technique

-> Rollin' Roll

-> Animation

Gives you an idea of how sketchy the RB hubs were/are, and why they explode frequently...

Anyway, give the silent clutch a go, I guess. It's only £20/your face at the end of the day (Y)

The Shimano silent clutch hubs are wicked.

I spent the day at Bristol Bike Works shop just looking through the stock for all the 32holes i could find.

I walked away with ten of these hubs and i sadt down and built all of them into D521's

I still got a few. Very cool hub and i never had a probelm with it for trials

Shimano bring it back but made for trials.please