Renault Megane Coupe

The enchanted broomstick

well ive had the car the whole of a week now and it lasted me 6 days on the road before dying horribly.

I was in second and the car in front (not a toyota) was turning left i was in second gear at this point and was near stalling it and i couldnt be assed to ride the clutch out so i thought hey 1st gear is there in we go, the car started to pull me and as it got to about 3,000 revs it just went right up in the revs. Hmmm maybe it slipped outta gear or something? so naturally i tried second, third, fourth nothing i wasnt going anywhere and rolled to a stop outside some random persons house.

Luckily i was only about 5 mins from my house but still i have a dead car after less than a weeks purchase.

Now sit you ass in the driving seat with the engine running dont touch any pedals and try and push it into gear, you would get a horrible grinding noise right? NOPE, oh dear! You can select a gear without the use of the clutch and put you foot down on the accelerator and the speedo will move up, indicating to me that the clutch has initiliazed the gearbox because the clutch linkage is intact and the speedo is in the gearbox. Now if the car is in gear and the wheels are off the floor as you spin one wheel the diff should cause the other wheel to spin in an opposite direction right? NOPE.

So what can it be, the circlip inside the gearbox which holds the selector? apparently dumping the clutch can cause it to shatter, would it be the spline on the end of the offside half shaft? or even the clutch being stuck in the 'on' position making the car think its constantly in neutral?!

Well renault the helpful bastards reckon that its the clutch and want to charge me £570 for the fitment of a new one!!! :unsure:

any ideas from anybody?

stu <_<

its not the clutch.

Sounds to me like you have either blown the Diff apart, of stripped the splines clean off the 1/2 shafts.

I cant tell without looking at it.

Either way, you are going to have to spend some loot on it.

Where didi you get it from? Unless oyu bought it private, you should have some sort of warrenty on it.

yeh i got a new clutch (boxed) for my renault for £40 off ebay.

then i got a quote from a local garage for £250 fitting without new clutch, or £200 with the one i'd already bought.

Don't got to an official retailer, go private and make sure they are sound. (ask around).

although you sound pretty compitent so if you can sort it yourself, there's no harm in trying. <_<

Where didi you get it from? Unless oyu bought it private, you should have some sort of warrenty on it.

Yeah if you brought it from a car dealer then they normally come with a couple of months warrenty at least. If the garage get shirty try trading standards, there might be a minimum length of warrenty they have to provide.

Yeah if you brought it from a car dealer then they normally come with a couple of months warrenty at least. If the garage get shirty try trading standards, there might be a minimum length of warrenty they have to provide.

I thought all companies had to provide a minimum of a 1 year warranty, or am I wrong?

it wasnt from a garage, it was from someone of different ethnic origin in Manchester, i really shouldnt of just said that should i?

As far as im concerned private bought means no warranty. b*****d thing, i think i might just get the thing fixed then go with the civic coupe like i was first planning to do, good for nothing pieces of shit.

word of the parents "any second hand car you treat like that will break" so i say "yeah i agree but not after 6 f**king days and at only 65,000 miles on the clock!!!"

Word of advice to people who may read in on this, Japanese cars are built the best and will last anything else <_<

stu :unsure:

Right, basically under the SALE OF GOODS ACT you have a years warranty but if you bought it privately you are shit outta luck!

sale of goods act:

Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).

• Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description.

• Aspects of quality include fitness for purpose, freedom from minor defects, appearance and finish, durability and safety.

• It is the seller, not the manufacturer, who is responsible if goods do not conform to contract.

• If goods do not conform to contract at the time of sale, purchasers can request their money back "within a reasonable time". (This is not defined and will depend on circumstances)

• For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement).

• A purchaser who is a consumer, i.e. is not buying in the course of a business, can alternatively request a repair or replacement.

• If repair and replacement are not possible or too costly, then the consumer can seek a partial refund, if they have had some benefit from the good, or a full refund if the fault/s have meant they have enjoyed no benefit

• In general, the onus is on all purchasers to prove the goods did not conform to contract (e.g. was inherently faulty) and should have reasonably lasted until this point in time (i.e. perishable goods do not last for six years).

• If a consumer chooses to request a repair or replacement, then for the first six months after purchase it will be for the retailer to prove the goods did conform to contract (e.g. were not inherently faulty)

• After six months and until the end of the six years, it is for the consumer to prove the lack of conformity.

So rah!

.. the car in front (not a toyota) was ..

I'm lovin' that :blink:

..Well renault the helpful bastards..

They're still pissed about the Olympics (Y)

Seriously Stu, sorry to hear about it but the dealer sounds reet expensive, perhaps try an owners club for advice. :blink: