The Million Dollar Homepage

nmt_oli

Copy and pasted from the FAQ section of his website:

My name is Alex Tew, I'm 21 years old and I live in a small town in Wiltshire, England. I'll be starting at University in England at the end of September, where I will be reading Business Management. I'm going to Uni a little later than normal (I will technically be a mature student), but I'm really looking forward to it. Infact, I can't wait. But Uni is not cheap, and faced with the prospect of graduating after 3 years with a huge debt, I thought I'd try and make some money ($1m should do the trick!)

The idea is simple: to try and make $1m (US) by selling 1,000,000 pixels for $1 each. Hence, 'The Million Dollar Homepage". The main motivation for doing this is to pay for my degree studies, because I don't like the idea of graduating with a huge student debt. I know people who are paying off student loans 15-20 years after they graduated. Not a nice thought!

The pixels you buy will be displayed on the homepage permanently. The homepage will not change. Using some of the money I make from the site, I guarantee to keep it online for at least 5 years, but hopefully much longer. I want it to become a kind of internet time capsule. So, in the long run, I believe the pixels will offer good value. You will have a piece of internet history!

Its a giant intereactive billboard, with all the pictures linked to the homepage of who bought the pixels.

Edited by nmt_oli

I'm not sure what there is stopping me from making the £0.5 Million website, but meh, fair play to the guy to be honest. I can't believe it's actually working. I'm not sure who would want that as their homepage though, it's just a page of adverts :turned:

Tomm- theres nothign stoppping you, in fact many people have triead to copy him, but noones been anywhere near as successful, as they dont have the origonality or the press coverage.

Dahnhilla- its $1 per pixel, not one pound. ($1 ~ £0.60) and he didnt sell 400,000 in 4 days- he hasnt quite reached 400,000 yet nad hes been going for a month.

It wouldn't work without this. Advertisement on a median completly unrelated to his site.

His site became big purely because of this. It was in almost all national newspapers, and hes actually from up north somewhere. He just knows what hes doing so has targetted america instead of the UK, as theirs bigger fish to fry.

Theres loads of stuff about it everywhere.

http://www.bushtarion.com/

Its a text based online game. MMROPG or something.

I used to play something like it a few years back, there is loads about these days, and some have thousands of players. Its a bit like WoW or GuildWars without the 3D graphics and in some respects a lot more fun at times.