Downloading Stuff.

Swize

Ok people download things everyday weather it be torrents or off kazza;

The thing is it sounds stupid but ime affraid of getting caught its like winning the lottrie but it one i don't want to buy a ticket for if you get me.

Say things like adobe £700 worth of software, ive been told by 2 people now that companies like this don't stress over people downloading there software for the simple fact theres no way we would buy it because its just to expensive, the market they are aiming at is companys that have to buy it not for peoples home movies like us.

And there not loosing out on money becuase we just wont buy unlike cds.

Is this true to a certian amount?

Sam

Ps sorry to be so god dam paranoied sorry i really can't spell that.

Edited by samthebiker

im quite sure* your pretty much safe downloading anything you want (Y)

(*dont hold me to this)

ROFL

Its alwyas a possibility that they will catch you, but if your 'leehcing' ie, just downloading from people/sites generally you will be ok. its people who upload, or share a load of stuff for other people to download that they try to catch first, mainly because its easier for them to trace, and because they can fine them for more (N)

Edited by nmt_oli

You'll never get caught. All you have to do is download the stuff, burn it to CD/DVD and then delete it from your computer. Format every few months to keep your machine in good shape and nobody will be any the wiser.

Apart from your ISP.

Eitherway, hasnt generally bothered me in the past.. but there is a small chance you could get caught, wouldnt lose too much sleep over it though!

You'll never get caught. All you have to do is download the stuff, burn it to CD/DVD and then delete it from your computer. Format every few months to keep your machine in good shape and nobody will be any the wiser.

I would read up on your traceability, Companies will bother if a lot of people start downloading it, You are not safe. It is just like winning the lottery as such only a bad one. These download sites will have your ip's stored and registered as soon as your download off of them and that is a ticket to a knock on the door e.t.c The best bet is to either buy it or use trialware, these companies will not waste time in taking you to court over a £700 piece of software as its worth them doing it due to the amount of other stuff they can probably do you for, I know people will oppose what I say but you wouldnt steal a car e.t.c as you would get caught just because the chances are slimmer doesn't mean you will not get caught.

If you are going to do it just dont be foolish or selfish.

Remember they took an old lady to court for downloading one song, lets use our noodles people, as it only takes one person who doesn't agree with these posts to mention to someone and before you know it they will be investigating the forum and the users :ermm:

Cheers

Craig

Yet as I understsand profits for companies like adobe continue to rise every year, so thats why they can afford to look the other way to piracy. And its true that those who download photoshop wouldnt buy it anyway, so its not a fair stat to say that it has cost the industry that money... they wouldnt have made it otherwise anyway.

The cheapest microsoft office you can buy it £100. f**k that, what student has that kind of money. Bet the cd and it's box only cost £1 max.

Bear in mind that most students have a computer, and the only thing they will actually use for any kind of university-related activity will be MS Office (or similar). It would be worth buying if you were gonna use it all the time. Except for the fact that you can get Open Office for free.

i heard that in Scotland......if you download or get a pirate copy of a film, if you are cought, you only need to pay the RRP on that product............

as for download music etc, im sure ur chances of gettin cought are minimal, the reason ISP's brought in bandwidth limits was to do with piracy, so if you below that limit every month (most people are) your chances are VERY slim

I thinks it's a shame that people have to resort to downloading but it's become the trend lately as it's just so easy. I do wish people wouldn't but I am a minority. Mac users most of the time have to pay for their software and I suppose it's greed that has led pc users wanting better than microsoft give us.

I just hope any of you who do download don't get caught as its kinda career destroying having piracy on your criminal record!

Craig

I thinks it's a shame that people have to resort to downloading but it's become the trend lately as it's just so easy. I do wish people wouldn't but I am a minority. Mac users most of the time have to pay for their software and I suppose it's greed that has led pc users wanting better than microsoft give us.

I just hope any of you who do download don't get caught as its kinda career destroying having piracy on your criminal record!

Craig

Er, you can download just as much Mac stuff as you can PC stuff. :ermm:

I don't download certain pieces of software because its trendy, i download them because i'm not going to fork out 700quid on a video editing suite to just make the odd internet video and not make any money from it. Nor do i intend on paying how ever much it is for Macromedia suite to make a personal site here and there.

You won't get caught, i know tonnes of more high profile warez people who would be caught before you do. I'm talking TB of data being transferred here too. Your be lucky to do a few GB.

Er, you can download just as much Mac stuff as you can PC stuff. :ermm:

I don't download certain pieces of software because its trendy, i download them because i'm not going to fork out 700quid on a video editing suite to just make the odd internet video and not make any money from it. Nor do i intend on paying how ever much it is for Macromedia suite to make a personal site here and there.

You won't get caught, i know tonnes of more high profile warez people who would be caught before you do. I'm talking TB of data being transferred here too. Your be lucky to do a few GB.

Explain the market raids and the old granny being convicted im sure she hasnt got TB of data. You can get done for personal use as well as business just as much especially stuff that contains data that people read and use on a daily basis such as forums e.t.c If you are advertising any logos or sites that is still classed as bad as making a profit in their eyes.

Craig

Explain the market raids and the old granny being convicted im sure she hasnt got TB of data. You can get done for personal use as well as business just as much especially stuff that contains data that people read and use on a daily basis such as forums e.t.c If you are advertising any logos or sites that is still classed as bad as making a profit in their eyes.

Craig

For exactly that reason. Fear factor. They tried again with some single parent of 3 kids, but the parent got pissed off and is now suing the RRIA on a good 20 or so counts of stuff.

They won't go for such a stupid and worthless case again, as it simply has no gain. For every leecher you take down, another thousand will find out about p2p, and start leeching. They will, and are targetting the high profile seeders. Stopping the problem right at its root, 'cause if theres no data to share, then no one will download.

People are way to paranoid.

Yer about taking that granny to court I bet its just to scare people from downloading saying it don't matter who you are or how old you are you will be prosecuted. I bet a few people would have stop downloading stuff from that.

Craig

"old Granny" also a story about a "girl aged 12" - all they do is choose a random person then take them to court. Its just to scare folk suppose it works to an extent. to be honest who cares.... If you download its your own responsability so if it bothers you dont dl, but let other people do as they please at their own risk.