Cutting Cable Outers

nb88

How do you guys usually cut your cable outers? I don't have any housing cutters (or good cable cutters for that matter...) but are there any other methods? I thought maybe a hacksaw but im worried ill splay it out so i cant fit the end cap onto it, and it runs rough.

Thanks for any help.

Noz.

How do you guys usually cut your cable outers? I don't have any housing cutters (or good cable cutters for that matter...) but are there any other methods? I thought maybe a hacksaw but im worried ill splay it out so i cant fit the end cap onto it, and it runs rough.

Thanks for any help.

Noz.

If it does go pear shaped using the hack saw then get some sand paper and plyers (excuse spelling) and make it fit. An Angle grinder might work never done it but if your desperate then anythings worth ago isnt it?

Wouldn't it be pretty tough cutting through the metal wrap?

Anyway, if it mashes the inside little inner-cover you can still splay that out, and you can always crush it shut again. IF you think about it, if you butt the ferrule right up to the end of the cable it doesn't matter if it's a little rough, simply because the inner won't be rubbing on it.

Just buy good cable cutters. I bought a pair of Shimano ones. The best money can buy. Will last me for ever, and save hassle every time I need to cut a cable.

Yes, I know they're expensive, but after working in a shop and snipping cables without thinking twice, it has to be done. You'll only pay the money once, never think about it again for the rest of your life.

How much did you pay for the shimano cutters?

I'll try cutting the cable really long using saw, angle grinder etc. first. If it goes wrong i can then always cut furhter down so i dont waste cable. Or maybe go down to my local bike shop and ask to borrow housing cutters if they have them.

I just want it really smooth, because my mates avid mechanical is AMAZING and he managed to cut his outer easily as its a cheap one, but im using oddysey linear slic so its got the annoying metal bit..

Cheers.

Noz.

Edited by Nozmeister

few ideas which i use (which have all been mentioned up to now it may seem)

- buy soem cable cutters

- put the cable in some pliers and put them on the floor and hit the jaws with a hammer

- hacksaw

- or the other good 1, go to the local bike shop and ask them nicely, with the odd bribary of a KitKat, to cut it for you :(

but best by far is just ot buy yourself some good cable cutters (best example, Park Tools) if your still on cables you'll definatly be using them again in the future so its a good investment