How Much For A Car Respray?

cookie456_the2nd

Long story but, how much would you reckon it would cost to have a whole car sprayed and how long would it take in labour time?

Cheers,

James

Average is around £1,500 to £2,000. Depending on the car, and the colour of course though.

For instance, if you want black, thats easy, theres only one shade of black. However, if you want say, green. They would need to make sure they evenly spray the car, at the right temperature through out to insure that the shade stays the same all over.

Its easier doing a whole car as they don't have to match to a previous colour already on the car, but it still isn't a cheap job.

Average is around £1,500 to £2,000. Depending on the car, and the colour of course though.

For instance, if you want black, thats easy, theres only one shade of black. However, if you want say, green. They would need to make sure they evenly spray the car, at the right temperature through out to insure that the shade stays the same all over.

Its easier doing a whole car as they don't have to match to a previous colour already on the car, but it still isn't a cheap job.

actually, there are los of different types of black, mwahaha. lol

corr, i thought it was only like 500 for a car respray, has it gone up much recently?

What car?

What condition?

What colour?

All these need to be taken into consideration.

If you want an amazing job, youll want 2 Pack Etch primmer, A few coats of base, a few coats of top, and some laquer.

Add to that, Stripping, prep work, removing all rust ect, smoothing, any other pannel work.

And how far do you want it done?

Do you just want the outside painted?

Or do you want the whole car done, including door shuts, boot lips, bulkhead, floors ect.

A top noch job will set you back AT LEAST £3000

Just a spray over, outside only, about £500 - £1000 depending on quality

You could get it down to as little as £200 - £500 if you did all rep work yourself, and had the car sent to them, with all the paint codes, and have a basic colour, and no etch primmer.

For the best job, they will stripp the car of everything, engine, drivetrain, suspesion, interior, glass, everything, and load it on a spit.

They will bead blast the car back to bare metal.

They will remove and repair all rust and any imperfections in all body work.

the car will be sprayed in a special room, and the painted baked on.

Everything will be put back on, and the car will look better than new.

Will cost about £5000

Yes boothy, it is possible to do it yourself, but you need a LOT of time, and dont you dare think its a cheap option....

i resprayed my mini myself, starting just over 361 days ago (26th of oct last year)

initially we reckoned on borrowing the tools and kit, and it costing me around £200 for materials and paint. (this was for an exterior spray ONLY mind you....

in the end it cost me the best part of £1500 (NOT including the £400 compressor and £80 spray gun we bought) in paints, materials, new panels, and new brightwork to match the new image.

it took almost 3 months to complete, working for around 4-5 hours 6 days a week after school and weekends.

the prep took the longest! welding up the new panels, and smoothing and filling everything to make the shell perfect, we took most of the shell back to bare metal and etch primed it, we fitted a carbon fibre flip front at the same time and had to line everything up for that and re-wire the whole of the front loom to suit!

10 months after leaving my mates garage its still looking great after a good polish, and theres no rust or imperfections showing through anywhere (apart from inside the roof gutter on one side where we ran out of paint!).

it was a VERY expensive job, the cars had almost 4 litres of red red cellulose paint, along with 2 litres of etch primer and 3 litres of celly primer, which at £15-£30 a litre aint cheap!

it worth it though.... as the cars proper sexy now :) and im able to blow bits in should i ever need to respray a panel.... or change my wheel arches or something of the sort....

_________________________________________________________________________________________

at the other end of the scale, i know of a guy who decided he didnt like his mini being red anymore, so went to halfords and bought 4 cans of matt black paint and a kitchen scouring pad.

he washed the whole car really well, spent an hour rubbing it down with the kitchen sanding pad, shut the doors, masked off the glass, and expended said 4 cans of matt black on his gorgeous mini....

god knows how, but it looks AWESOME (Y)

moral of this story is.... its a LOT of money, and a LOT of man hours to do with job properly....

its all in the prep though.... 99% is prep! because if the shell is perfect, and enough top coat goes on, it can be polished up to a perfect finish (with celly that is)

oh, and black is THE worse colour to spray, because it shows up all the imperfections SO much-more than any other pretty much!

Yeah, that mini, as has been said so many times before, is the sex.

Where'd you get your cellulose paint from, I am about to refinish a new bass of mine and have been told cellulose paint is the stufff to look out for. (Y) Unless it's in industrial amounts, don't think I'll need 5 litres.

oh, and black is THE worse colour to spray, because it shows up all the imperfections SO much-more than any other pretty much!

Yeah, dunno why people are saying black is cheap, you always used to pay a premium for black paint on cars because it's really hard to get a decent finish.

i got my paint from a place called Hex Holdings, they are a nation wide chain of paint suppliers i think, i know there are quite a few around the country anyway!

do a search on google for them.....

rumour has it that you wont be able to buy any celly or 2pac paints after the end of next year (Y) as apprently due to legislation from the EU, all paints will ahve to be water based which means only body shops will be able to spray cars, as water based doesnt dry without special equipment :)

gay gay gay....

and cheers Haz-the mini is rather sexy.... even more so now that ive got the full front cage in with door bars and everything :deej:

Yeah, as Lee said, bare metal, bare shell costs upwards of £4000. I was looking at this MG this guy had had done like that, and it was mint. My dad sprayed his Cortina himself, but he said it was hard work. If you've got access to a garage and an air compressor you could have a go, but it's the patience that I wouldn't have...

Or go to a dodgy garage and get a cheap blow-over...

Prawn - you're Mini looks the biz... why anyone would want one of those new ones when you can have something like that is beyond me.

i got my paint from a place called Hex Holdings, they are a nation wide chain of paint suppliers i think, i know there are quite a few around the country anyway!

do a search on google for them.....

rumour has it that you wont be able to buy any celly or 2pac paints after the end of next year :) as apprently due to legislation from the EU, all paints will ahve to be water based which means only body shops will be able to spray cars, as water based doesnt dry without special equipment :deej:

Yeah, that's similar to what I heard, but it's allready pretty damn hard to find anyway. (Y)

I got my mini as a half finished project (and it still is hehe). My dads been doing car bodywork for the last 20+ years so he knows a thing or two. Mines had new wings, a panels, and front panel as well as some patching in the passenger footwell. I helped him out doing the respray which was fun but time consuming. You'll be forever sanding and sanding. The job turned out great and looked lovely (looks so shiney when it was wet) but now unfortunately theres a few small blisters on the front corner of the roof where its been sat in a barn for 2 years not moving (dahm uni) B) so that might get repainted.

Anyway getting back to the subject (Y) yes a full respray is expensive and i dont recommend changing the colour due to having to spray inside/under the bonnet etc.