Cheap, >1 Litre Car To Drive To Mongolia?

tomturd

Might be worth looking at something Japanese; if the car breaks down it'll be easier to find parts for it. A 800cc Daihatsu Mira maybe? (Found one here ).With the spare £500 you could put a decent radio in it, or give a funky paint job... :)

Sounds amazing though- goWhat's the route?

Edit: Daihatsu's look promising- You've got the Cuore and Hi-Jet as well which are 800-998cc and pretty cheap, and I think the Move is under a litre and comes with power steering, e/w etc. Good luck with it!

Edited by Lunja

after a bit of discussion on msn with Tic, were gonna give this a shot, its perfectly timed as ill have just graduated and so can have a month off before starting work, and always wanted to do something challanging like this :)

Now to sort out a car, hopefully will pick up a Nova for free of my brother-in-law who works for a vauxhall garage :)

after a bit of discussion on msn with Tic, were gonna give this a shot, its perfectly timed as ill have just graduated and so can have a month off before starting work, and always wanted to do something challanging like this :)

Now to sort out a car, hopefully will pick up a Nova for free of my brother-in-law who works for a vauxhall garage :)

Wahey, this year?! That'd be most awesome.

We've finally decided on this -

[attachmentid=2557]

What I believe to be one of the rare MK2 fiesta's with a 958cc MK1 engine inside. My parents bought it when it was new (used to get driven to play school in it :P) and its only just escaped the scrap yard for the past couple of years - so what better way to send it off than to drive it to mongolia and give it to a farmer.

Now none of us have any mechanical knowledge at all (but who needs knowledge when you have a haynes manual...) - so can any one let us know how to make the suspension stiffer? With 4 people in it it occasionally drags along the floor when you go over a bump - does anyone know how to raise the suspension, or if its possible to get higher suspension which wont f*ck up the handling? We're at a loss so any suggestions welcome :)

post-2-1135876698_thumb.jpg

Right, as a motor vehicle technician, heres my veiw.

You want a car that has a chain driven engine. Too much risk of a belt breaking on the journey.

The car needs to be extreemly simple, and easy to fix, so no high tech fuel injection.

The car needs to be versatile, and robust, have a good amount of load space, and be adaptable.

My personal choise would be an old 997cc Ford Fiesta.

Change the carb to a weber for reliability and your away.

These cars are extreemly simple, and easy to repair when anything fails, which doesnt happen offen.

A nice roof rack, and even a bonnet rack could be used.

Of course get the 5 door version.

Ive been looking on the site, and this is something I would love to do, If I had the time and money, but I dout Work woll give me 4 weeks off, and raising £3k (about as much as you would need for the whole lot) isnt easy for me.

My advise would be, take lots of spare fuses, at least 2 of each used in the car, do the same with relays, and bulbs. Take 4 spare wheels, and make sure they all have good tyres, cheap for a fiesta.

Give the car a Thorough Service before leaving, New oil, All filters, Fit a fuel filter, plugs and leads.

Take spare spark plugs, leads, all filters, oil, petrol,water,toolkit, the obvious gear really.

It might be worth taking a few air filters, and a pair of tights, as all the dust is going to clog them pretty quick. (the tights are usd to make a gauze over the mouth of the filter box)

Also take spare fan belt, and you can use a pair of tights if you get despirate. Keep coke cans, and take loads of cable ties and jubilee clips. You never know when they will come in handy, like a broken exhaust.

theres loads of tircks out there, use them all to the fullest.

Tom yeah this years fits in perfectly with me finishing uni etc!!

As for the car, the advantage of having a bro-in-law whose a mechanic will be wicked for getting the car ready, but trials-pimp's comments on what to take as spares etc are well appreciated, i guess the main consideration is the dust and things, and how to prevent it getting into the vital places.

Right off to my sisters now to beg for a car and help!!

A nova :(:lol:

If this works out its gonna f**king rule :D

Once the basics are sorted the sponsorship should go well, where I have worked for close to 2 years is owned by Norwich Union and is in the same group as the RAC :-

Nice post Lee, I was thinking along the lines of an old VW polo/golf, I have also been advised that Renault 4's are built like tanks. A Fiesta sounds like an option, as long as the car is basic and reliable thats all that matters really I spose. I also have little to no knowledge of car mechanics so me and Andy might be f**ked if (or should that be when) we break down in some random country.

My personal choise would be an old 997cc Ford Fiesta.

Change the carb to a weber for reliability and your away.

These cars are extreemly simple, and easy to repair when anything fails, which doesnt happen offen.

A nice roof rack, and even a bonnet rack could be used.

Of course get the 5 door version.

Superb. I think ours is a 957... but it could be a 997 (im not sure, I used to think it was a 997 then my dad mentions 957 - god knows... eitherway its under 1000cc :))

How much is a weber carb then?

Already got a roof rack sorted - £20 from halfords in the summer for getting the wind surfers down the beach (Y)

5 door would be ideal but the one we have is only 3 :( im sure we'll cope though. Thought I read on t'internet that 5 doors only came about on the mk3, and mk3 ones all had 1000cc+ engines?

Ta for the advice - much appreciated :D

Andy and tic, see you in russia. I'll have a vodka waiting for you, as obviously we'll be the car in front all the way. haha. (unlikely)

Right looking for donations of old less than 1 litre cars no longer needed. If you know anyone with one give me a shout over PM, there will be advertising space for anyone who has a business too, so if your parents business donate a car that is used then you'll get a nice banner advert on it.

Additionally, if anyone knows of any business that wants to sponsor us we need to raise £2000 to be able to compete. All sponsors will get advertising space on the car as well as publicity on the website we will shortly be setting up, and also airing in the video of the event that i will be making. Obviously the bigger the donation the bigger the plug (space on the website and size of banner on car).

Cheers guys.

Andy and Tic

I will ask my dad if he wants to keep the panda 4x4 (and he probably does) but if he doesnt, it may be available ( dunno how to get it back here though, is hundreds of miles away with no mot or tax lol)

cheers that would be great, if you find out whether or not its available first, well cross the getting it to the uk bridge when we get to it.

How much is a weber carb then?

Well seeing as youve got a MK2, you may not need to bother.

Just make sure the carb you have is NOT a VV.

This was Fords attempt at making a carb, it was sheer genius in principle, but they were built very badly, and fail at the drop of a hat.

Thats not something you want to go wrong.

If you could get a photo of the carb with the Airbox off, ill let you know if it is or not.

Webber carbs are 150 quid minimum......could probs get one off ebay for about 50 though..bearing in mind you might need a manifold for it too.

Thats if you Buy Sidedrafts, and that would be an excessivly bad choise to put on this car.

The engine wont be man enough to cope with them.

To use them they would need to invest alot of money, and time and take it to a rolling road to have it all set up at the end.

Best bet would be to find a fiesta owners club, or forum, and find out what carbs are compatabke as repacements

Ford Often used the same manifold for many carbs, specing Webers on higher powered, same engined cars.

You might find it has a Weber, or a solex on it, which will be fine, you may find that alot of fiesta owners put a certain carb on, for reliablility, more power and ease of repair.

Something like a 28-28, or 28-32 at a push.

Like I say, ask about on a fiesta forum, you may find the carb on there is Good enough.

Last note, make sure you give the engine a Good service before going. Espeacialy make sure you adjust the valve clearences on those crossflow engines, its an easy task, and will make a world of differnce to driveability and ecconomy if they are correct.

• 2 weeks later...

Well seeing as youve got a MK2, you may not need to bother.

Just make sure the carb you have is NOT a VV.

This was Fords attempt at making a carb, it was sheer genius in principle, but they were built very badly, and fail at the drop of a hat.

Thats not something you want to go wrong.

If you could get a photo of the carb with the Airbox off, ill let you know if it is or not.

Last note, make sure you give the engine a Good service before going. Espeacialy make sure you adjust the valve clearences on those crossflow engines, its an easy task, and will make a world of differnce to driveability and ecconomy if they are correct.

Cheers for the advice, much appreciated :)

Would the valve clearances be the 'points'? If so my dads gonna teach me how to sort that out cos he seems to do them quite often.

As for driving a mini to mongolia, its been done before - www.mongolmini.com :o