Post Your Desktop Background

Dai the Socket

They're not all exactly the same, they're all independant. You can be browing the internet on one desktop, chatting to people on another, doing some photoshopping on another and checking through photos on the other. The benefit is you can drag things from one desktop to another, so say you wana drag an image from desktop 1 to 2 you just drag it an the cube flips to the next desktop automatically. Well I've found it really useful, theres no trawling through Alt + Tab an no need to go minimising aload of stuff looking for a window that you opened.

You can get the idea with this video.

Youtube Video ->
">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

They're not all exactly the same, they're all independant. You can be browing the internet on one desktop, chatting to people on another, doing some photoshopping on another and checking through photos on the other. The benefit is you can drag things from one desktop to another, so say you wana drag an image from desktop 1 to 2 you just drag it an the cube flips to the next desktop automatically. Well I've found it really useful, theres no trawling through Alt + Tab an no need to go minimising aload of stuff looking for a window that you opened.

You can get the idea with this video.

Youtube Video ->
">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Everything visual on Ubuntu is customizable to what you want. If you don't like wobbly windows, then don't turn them on. Having 4 Desktops is basically the same principle with people who have dual monitor, what's the point in having dual monitor? Well it maximises productivity because you don't have to keep minimizing/maximizing applications to find what you want, you just switch over to the other desktop which I think personally is quicker than Alt+Tab my way through a load of Windows. Don't forget you don't have to pay for any licensing for Windows because Open Source stuff is free, an you don't have to think to yourself 'Yeah I've just bought 4gb of memory an a Quad Core processor, a well spent £300'. You don't need 4gb of memory an a quad core processor to run Ubuntu, you can run everything fine with 512mb. Admittedly there are going to be flaws with Ubuntu, you can only play certain games. Anything else you need, you just use VirtualBox to emulate Windows or Mac. I think that version in the youtube video is 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) there is 8.04 (Hardy Heron) out for release soon if you want to give that a go.

Here's a small pic of Alt+Tab:

screenshotamaroklafemmexc0.png

And a crap example of Windows+Tab basically the same as Aero:

screenshot1rg6.jpg

:turned:

I've just downloaded a stripper for my desktop =] its not just a picture she moves and accually strips it's dead weird but annoying aswell because even when im on the internet i can still see her. I'll get a screen shot when she's got clothes on :giggle:

• 2 weeks later...
My lovely new(ish) 22" monitor, currently in PC mode...

desktomm.jpg

If you dont mind me asking, what monitor do you have.

I'm looking for a decent 22" around the £200 mark that will take my pc and xbox360.

Problem I'm having is that everysingle monitor I've found has really good reviews and really shit ones, which is a mind rape.

Problem I'm having is that every single monitor I've found has really good reviews and really shit ones, which is a mind rape.

Welcome to the internet, unfortunately EVERYONE gets their opinion out there. This is a problem. Especially when buying stuff because some people will hate something just because of its brand or some will want something it doesn't have and thus will claim it is "shit". I was looking at monitors and people were giving the monitor I bought 1 star of 5 because "it doesn't have built in speakers" most of them hadn't even used it.

Look at the ones you like, check the reviews, find out what the bad ones were rated down for, if it's a stupid reason ignore them :D. Try independent review sites if possible and as you have done here ask for somewhat impartial opinions from friends or people known to you.

If you dont mind me asking, what monitor do you have.

I'm looking for a decent 22" around the £200 mark that will take my pc and xbox360.

Problem I'm having is that everysingle monitor I've found has really good reviews and really shit ones, which is a mind rape.

It's a Samsung 226BW. I like it, but I'm coming from a really big old CRT monitor and this is obviously waaaay better. But that doesn't say much and I haven't really seen many others to compare. It's supposed to be pretty good for a 22" apparently, but there's some technical reason why 22" monitors will never be as good as some 20" or 24" ones. But I wouldn't worry about it too much, they'll all be perfectly fine for most people.

As for reviews, I'm not entirely sure. That review site in the link seems pretty good. If you're going to get it for your xbox, you might want to consider something with a component input (or HDMI), that'll save you £20 on the xbox vga cable. For £200, you can get the pick of pretty much any 22", and a bit more will get you a 24".

yes man you got peterborough as a background. :lol:

YOUR COOL.

Its great to ride nice lines and gaps :P u should off came to bad you chain died on you : it was a well good ride.

And i only got that pic as my background because that was a nice gap :P.