What Can We Do?

Connor

screw drivers going into your bars as bar ends would be perfect. (i was thinking about this at school lol) if they want trouble, just whip two out and scare the crap out of them.

you could just get a normal one, with a handle diameter slightly wider than your bars, then just get a knife and carve it so it fits snugly in there, a bit of cellotape to keep it in the there and bam you have them f**ked.

could even go down your seat tube (Y)

the problem would be explaining it to the police. :-

Last year, a 55 year old male grabbed me round the throat, pinned me against the wall and threw boiling water over me. I was badly burnt, I called the police and it went to court and social services were involved.

During the video interview I was asked "was the boiling water in reach of the man, or did he go and get it purposely to throw over you?" I said he went to get it, and he got charged with the assult of a child.

The moral of this is, you are allowed to use self defence, but cannot purposely carry weapons incase you get in a fight or get mugged. However, you can use what ever is around you and within reach to defend yourself.

Therefore hitting them with your bike would be completely fine, whereas if you saw a bunch of chavs and reached into your bag to get out a spanner, that would not be allowed.

You are allowed to use keys in self defence, and the police even recomend that. So if you tied a loop of elastic on your bunch of keys and started swinging that around you like a mad man, you could be safe and legal, providing you keep the keys in your pocket.

When appoarched lift the bike onto the back wheel whilst holding the bike, if you do it early enough it'll look like you're just moving it.

Then when they come up to you, providing they are alone, you will have a sheild that he cannot control or that he can punch around or hit you in anyway, if he trys anything push the bike into him and dont stop, he'll wonder whats going on and hopefully wont be able to move, push them back far enough and then one big push, hopefully they'll go over, but either way quickly put your foot on the pedal, turn around and pedal for your life.

Well firstly I advise not carrying a weapon.. It isn't worth the hassle and if you use it it would be classed as unreasonable self defence unless they have a gun, knife or similar weapon. Also 9/10 of the ideas suggested in this thread you would not do. The reason I say this is because you've been approached twice now and if you're totally honest, you'll admit that when someone is trying to steal your bike, you experienced the rush of adrenaline and you don't think straight etc etc. I haven't experienced this personally but I would imagine it is the case because you're being confronted.

If you do get confronted again, you might want to remind the person or group that they are in a town centre and are probably on a minimum of 2-3 CCTV cameras and as soon as they ride off on it, you will be phoning the police. Also the fact that is lacks gears or a seat means its not very valuable and they wouldn't be able to get very far on it quickly.

If they have a weapon... it isn't worth it. Unless the weapon is something silly like a plank of wood or somethign you can easily stop, back off and hand it over. At the end of the day, you can buy a new bike, but you can't pay for your life or pay for scars from weapons to go away.

Last thing I can say is if they do manage to get on your bike and the group isn't that large.. there are so many things you can do.. firstly the person is riding AWAY so has their back turned... you can do simple stuff like just lift up the back wheel and hit them from behind or whatever... its up to you and depends if you aren't scared or shocked at the time... Just make sure you've kicked up a fuss beforehand so surrounding people know that he/they are robbing your bike.

Just use your common sense really. :)

Edited by Freddie