What Is The Difference Between 04 And 05 Maguras?

Jaffacakes

The only difference I've ever noticed, was the TPA adjuster on the 04, is on the outside, on the back of the brake lever, where as the 05 is part of the internal casting of the body.

I can't say that I ever thought that the 05 lever was as bad as everyone says, I have one on my bike. I just like the lever more, I guess it depends on the size of your hand, and how rough you treat your bike.

they both use very different shapes of lever bodies and blades. when you pull the 04 lever it pushes the fluid horizontally directly into the system, but when you pull the 05 lever it pushes the fluid up the way towards you, and then the fluid comes out the lever from the opposite direction?

no real difference in performance, but the 05 levers are nice and comfy, the lever blade is more shaped to your finger so less likely to give blisters, could just be that i have a set of 99' maguras that have really square shaped lever blades, i like them though :P

The 04 Magura isn't as good as the 05 IMO because i always seem to brake the 04 TPA's. Yesterday i went out riding and it broke again. Thats about 3 i have gone though since the start of december. So the reason i would probably prefer the 05 is so i dont brake the TPA's all the time as there inside the lever body. Also i think they also look look better as well... much more modern :)

I wonder what the 07 Maguras will be like :shifty:

Josh (Y)

I like the 05 maggys ALOT more than the 04's.

The 04's are really old and look crap, you need to be up-to-date :P

The 05 lever feel SOOOO much better than the 04 levers (talking abour the CNC'd 04 ones aswell)

The 05's should really have moe power in the piston in the lever, cause the lever it pulling un towards the bars (more pressure) whilst the 04's were at a weird angle, and never pulled in as good IMO

DONT QUOTE ME ON THIS

I know im right.

i run the 04's you have a lot more leverage on the lever blade and the TPA is easily replaced with a simple bolt, the 05s have less leverage but more direct flid route to the pistons so should make it not more powerfull but quicker

the cylinders ad everything are the same though

i run the 04's you have a lot more leverage on the lever blade and the TPA is easily replaced with a simple bolt, the 05s have less leverage but more direct flid route to the pistons so should make it not more powerfull but quicker

the cylinders ad everything are the same though

How do you achully do that? I want to replace my TPA which has just broke with a bolt and i have seen a lot of people with it.

Josh :)

take apart the lever with a simple 5mm allen key

get a small allen key and poke a a hollow cylinder which is keeping part of the fluid system in and poke it out lever falls apart, replace previos TPA with a 5mm bolt ish

kinda done it beofre in the middle of southend just to find it wasnt broken he was just turning the TPA the wrong way

heres my resoning for not liking the 05 ones

1) the lever blade feels as good as broken glass

2) the lever is made out of cheese (and I mean the really gooy stuff, after its been melted even more as well!) you can snap the levers just by pulling too hard.

3) the tpa is crap, really hard to get to and can seize

4) the lever blade is too close to the bars (can be sorted with a file though)

5) the lever blade is too short, reducing the power.

the 04 levers are better (stronger, feel betteretc) but are still not perfect, we need hope to make a nice lever, that would rock!

(ps, I have never broken a tpa on an 04 lever in 4 years! I dunno what you guys are doing to break them :S )