V-brake On Back Of A Mod

ian

hi there,

i have been thinking about this for a while now, i was wondering if i got the v-adapters for my python so i could run a v-brake what would it be like? i have seen on heatsink bikes website that they are now selling the v-brake pad backings with the notoriously good coustelier pad material in them.

so do these pads work aswell in a v-brake as on a maggy? and i take it the v-brake can be run on a grind?

and what are the benefits of a v-brake on the back?

cheers ian

Edited by ian

a vee brake can be more or less powerful than a magura. a vee is NOT worse than the maggie.

coust material is awesome in whatever brake you put it. a coust vee brake with heatsink backings and adapters will be really good if you take your time setting it up, using good cable and good parts. don't skimp.

though i've heard it's harder to get a good vee setup on a mod than a stock, due to massively wide tyres and chain tension adjustments via wheel movement.

All I know (in relation to your question) is that you can run a grind with a v brake, and also don't pay the £20 for the adaptors as i can sell you some, pm me you msn addi if you are interesed??

ok ill add you,

and there is an xtr v-brake in for sale wanted im after lol,

and it would be using a sram 5.0 lever which is lovely and powerful, but im sure ill be able to set it up nicely with a little help from somebody i work with (my boss, i work in a bike shop lol)

i just fancy a change and have heard mixed opinions about them

a vee is NOT worse than the maggie.

You cant really generalise though. The vast majority of vee brakes ARE worse than maguras particularly those with modulator things (wtf are they about? lol)

An avid something or other would work well. Im not much of an expert on vee brakes I must admit, but I know someone who had one set up so awesome, it had a similar bite to a disc :o Obviously I was very startled when I pulled the brake lol

Basically So long as you get a good vee brake, and set it up well, it can give similar results to a magura (in my opinion) however I wouldn't trust it as much as the cable would stretch :-

yeah like i said above i would only use the best bits anyway,

i would use a cable that it already pre-stretched but if it did stretch then you can always use the adjuster on the lever,

i think it is going to be one of those things that i have just got to try and find out,

anybody got any pics of v-brakes on a mod which has the 4 bolt adaptors?

i would use a cable that it already pre-stretched but if it did stretch then you can always use the adjuster on the lever,

my god, at last somebody has realised that :P its blatantly obvious yet everyone seems to use it as an excuse :blink: linear slick cable dont appear to stretch(well mine havent been adjusted in months)

as for 4 bolt adaptions, i have some pics somewhere, add me to msn (Y)

A v-brake can be better than a well setup magura but it'll cost you a lot more

Your talking Avid Ultimates, Xtr Levers, Heatsink pads, linear slicks or Nokons, that all adds up to a pretty expensive brake but if set up well it will be better than most peoples maguras and it's a fit and forget option (Y)

A v-brake can be better than a well setup magura but it'll cost you a lot more

Your talking Avid Ultimates, Xtr Levers, Heatsink pads, linear slicks or Nokons, that all adds up to a pretty expensive brake but if set up well it will be better than most peoples maguras and it's a fit and forget option (Y)

damn straight, altho fi you go secondhand, bargains can be had, por example:

sd7-bout a tenner

xtr lever, bout a tenner again

linear slick cable-may as well go new, they are uber cheap-6-7quid

pads-for the rear you want some decent ones, crvs, heatsinks and spanish flies can be had for as little as 5-10quid

thats like 35 for damn nice setup, whereas a similair maggy would be about 25-30, so its not really that much more expensive in my eyes, also once you have spent it, you generally dont have to spend anymore, ive managed to wear out 1 set of pads in about almost 2 years of riding, and i used to run some pretty nasty grinds, altho for the past few months ive had ceramics front and rear, so my pads havent appeared to wear at all :)

But v-brakes would tend to require more maintenance would they not with regard to cable's stretching?

Personally, having maggies at the moment, I would never consider putting a v-brake on my bike, if it's not broke, don't fix it eh?

The way I see it, there is more to go wrong with a v-brake set-up, cables getting stretched, dirty, cable housing needs to be clean etc. With a maggie its a simple case of lining them up, tightening a few bolt's and your good to go for as long as you want provided you dont split a hose, which I havn't done just yet.....

Too much hassle for no great gain in performance is what come's to mind..

But v-brakes would tend to require more maintenance would they not with regard to cable's stretching?

Personally, having maggies at the moment, I would never consider putting a v-brake on my bike, if it's not broke, don't fix it eh?

The way I see it, there is more to go wrong with a v-brake set-up, cables getting stretched, dirty, cable housing needs to be clean etc. With a maggie its a simple case of lining them up, tightening a few bolt's and your good to go for as long as you want provided you dont split a hose, which I havn't done just yet.....

Just buy a decent cable :S Linear slics and Nokons both don't stretch, i think both setups have their problems and if both are setup well they should need constant maintainence

a good cable hardly stretches at all and you adjust the barrel adjuster to alter it (same as altering a tpa) and if it is a shit cable, it's still hardly a constant problem, it doesn't all of a sudden stretch by 10cm or so! you just have to tighten the cable at the caliper, which is a 30 second job!!!

Yeh, what im saying is that if you allready have a maggie, what's the point in changing when the performance isn't going to change significantly?

It's all down to personal preferance really, I know i'd rather have a magura than a V-brake, on any bike. That's just down to my experiances with both, and i've liked Magura's more.

i tihnk im going to give this a try, its one of those things you just have to try,

maybe it will be better for comp maybe it wont be i will never no until i try.

and i said above im going to use a pre-stretched cable and im trying to sorce an xtr calipers from in for sale section and i have the added bonus of working in a bike shop. :-

i tihnk im going to give this a try, its one of those things you just have to try,

maybe it will be better for comp maybe it wont be i will never no until i try.

and i said above im going to use a pre-stretched cable and im trying to sorce an xtr calipers from in for sale section and i have the added bonus of working in a bike shop. :-

From what i've heard, xtr calipers won't be the best, the parrallel push linkage on them is balls really, better to get an SD7 or some other Avid.....

I am a firm beleiver that vees are better than maggies.

I have run maggies for7 years now, they generally seem to work fine, but they are far from perfect!

I find I get a lot of arm pump using maggies (even with water) as the spring in the lever is too powerful and it takes a lot of effort to pull it and keep it pulled.

Also braking performance is failry good, but I find they normally only work well in one direction.

a vee can be set up with minimal spring tension, which is a great thing for me as it reduces arm pump.

The pads dont wobble around like maggies do, so the brakes are quieter, pads last longer etc.

You can use levers with leverage adjusters to get more power if your tired (like in a comp)

cables are easier to get hold of than hoses and fittings.

I also find vees have UBER power when the wheel is turning backwards, great for when your tyre is bearly on the edge of an object.

of course vees arnt perfect though, they take a little more matanece than a maggie (lubing the cable or replacing it every now and then).

I used my vee for a couple of weeks, but as I was using a 48mm echo rim the arms went really in a great position to give the most power.

I put my maggie on and have ridden it for a couple of days, but I miss my vee already. I have an alex rim on now, so I am gonna try them again once my slik cables and avid lever come.

so first off, if you plan on using xtr arms and sram levers for your setup then give up now. you will have one of the mushiest feeling brakes out there.

generally the most popular levers are the xtr levers with avid arms or any non linkage vbrake really. I've run the sram 9.0 levers and they have good power and a great ergonomic feel but are very very spongy.

i'm running ultimate arms although they have a problem with a little plastic piece inside the brake which tends to break, so i'd probably recommend gettnig just regular avid arms although then you won't have the buttery smooth feel from the sealed cartridge bearings, not to mention no play in your brake arms. right now my setup is xtr lever, xtr cable/housing, ultimate brake arms with super cheap stock mtb cartridge vbrake pads with a grind and my brakes are still perfect even with the shit pads.

I run the bonz adapters which from what i can see are about 100 times better quality and design than the heatsink adapters. plus you can adjust bonz to fit any rim size. I'm running the new echo rim on my control and i have to use the widest setting, which is perfect but i can't run a booster, although my team and control both have the booster plates welded on and i'd never even think of putting a booster on either of them.

People might say the heatsinks can be adjusted up and down but its pointless because you will never ever need to adjust them downwards only up higher which they can't go. And again, bonz are just a much higher quality. So thats the adapters part...

The only problem with running a vbrake on a mod is the tire clearance. I'm sure this will be diffierent on each frame, but on my 2005 team i hvae only about 2mm of clearance from my tire and the cable where it crosses over.

if you have any questions just ask.