Grinding Help

PaRtZ

I've searched all the threads and followed all the advice given (except the big confusion between metal grinding + stone grinding discs...anwyay)

I had my wheel on the floor

Put my foot on it

Using a stone cutter disc (metal one gave similar results last time)

put it at about 45 degrees to the rim

gave about 3 quick strokes in a single direction about 8 inches long

turned round and repeated

I also did the other side in the same direction in order to give bite when rolling backwards

Conclusion

IT DOESN'T F*CKING WORK!!!

My pads (plazzies) are fine because my mate grinded it for me and it worked so amazingly.... I've also tried the same with a pair of new koxx browns and its the same result

All I know is its a problem with how im grinidng, its just not harsh enough. So then I tried again same setup but this time almost dropping + swiping the grinder on the rim, still the same :|

please help cos im at my wits end :S

Thanks

Ok :)

I suggest you wash your rim in cillit bang to remove all old grime from grinding, then start again, apply the grinder at the lowest angle to start with, and just sweep it around, leaning gently into the wheel, if that doesn't work, straight 70-80 degree angle and grind the f**k out of it, thats when a grind bcomes uber :D

Yeah I grind at 90 or close to 90 degrees. I have grinded my rim before and its made the brake worse, you have to just try out what works best with the way you do it. Im really quick with mine and once the rim is on the floor only takes me 2 minutes. I try not to go over the same part to often. You will feel immidiatly if it is a good grind or not with your fingers. I find a stone cutting disc crap, and try using a fresh disc.

QUOTE(deanie-b @ Feb 17 2006, 03:49 PM)

Ok :)

I suggest you wash your rim in cillit bang to remove all old grime from grinding, then start again, apply the grinder at the lowest angle to start with, and just sweep it around, leaning gently into the wheel, if that doesn't work, straight 70-80 degree angle and grind the f**k out of it, thats when a grind bcomes uber :D

haha. good old cillit bang!!!

I go for a really light grind so i hold my grinder at about 30 degrees to the rim and stroke it lightly about 3-4 times.

Are you grinding the rim clockwise? I find that helps alot.

yep it is clockwise I've tried all angles now (just had another go)

I tried near to parallel which didn't work, 45 and 90 and still didn't work

I put it in a truing stand, started it spinning and then bashed into it, again, nothing different

The disc Im using is from a screwfix catalgoue if thats any help?

EDIT: forgot to say that Im grinding a ronnie

Edited by PaRtZ

I just ground my ronnie today, if its a ronnie with plazmatic crm's then the bestgrind i found that worked for me was a light-medium grind. Get a fresh disc, i use a wilko's own stone cutting disk. The longer wearing the disc is the better, i've used a disc that wore down loads before i'd even finished one side of the rim and that made the grind really crap so go for a hard wearing disc.

Hold the grind at a slant ( ____/____ << a bit less than that)

and quickly brush the grinder across in that direction>>> by quickly i mean rather fast so you can cover about 2-3 inches of rim in one swing of the grinder. Just keep going round in a clockwise direction until you get to where you started.

Flip the wheel over and do the same on the other side.

Then it should work fantastically, it should honk well and have a really good hold but it won't wear the pads down much either so thats another good thing.

I am going to give in an have a go at grinding today, I have searched and read all of the grinding related posts, but before I go and ruin my rims, can I just clarify that what I am aiming to do is 'scuff' the rim evenly all around ?

As I don't already have a grinder and will need to buy discs, what speed and discs give the best results ?

Thanks for any help

Duane.

i cant find the topic but i think someone had the same problem and one of the reasons of the weak grind was that the disc was spinning to fast so if your grinder has different speeds try slowing it down a notch or two (Y)

he's right, use a air compressed grider if possible. cause you can have it at the speed you want it!

give truly amazing grinds!!!!

joE!

i cant find the topic but i think someone had the same problem and one of the reasons of the weak grind was that the disc was spinning to fast so if your grinder has different speeds try slowing it down a notch or two (Y)

Possibly the best advice here with the info you've given. A slower speed will allow the grinder to make a deeper cut, and you want the roughest disk possible to create a surface with lots of scratches, using a fine/finishing disk won't remove enough material and while the rim will look ground, the scratches wont be deep enough.

Is the RPM of the grinder Variable? If so i'd say maybe arouns 100 would be the slowest you'd want to go, but it does depend on the strength of the rim and the grind your going for.

What sorta of disk are you using? I don't know how angle grinding disks are measured, but if it's anything like sandpaper, you'll want a fairly low number....

When i started grinding i had the same problem, with crms, on a ronnie. But when i ad my new wheel i had one of the lads at tartybikes grind it, And its not deep at all, but its sharp!

My guess for a really good grind it, apply little pressure to the rim, hold near vertically, and brush quickly.

Tom