How Reliable Are Enos Compared To Profiles?

RandomHero

My eno has been nothing but swooper.

Hardly skips, cheaper than an profile, same ep as a profile.

If you've got money to burn, go for a profile. But an eno will piss all over your ACS.

Edited by JT!

seen as though you are running a front freewheel system i would get the eno i have one my self and i think they are amazing great pick ups, and if u where to get a profile it would mean you having to get it built up on to your rim, this cost more money, and also the eno is cheaper.

Hope it helps

morton

If you have the money for either a whole new wheel, or the hub and possibly new spokes, and a fixed cog..

I'd say get the Profile.

With a 1.5 ratio, you get 72eps with them, which is the same as ENO's - I think...

Anyway, you get pleanty.

And I'm not too sure about the ENO, but when Profiles are 'bedding in' they do skip.

But I got mine 2nd hand, so it's already bedded in, hasn't skipped at all :)

But if you can't be arsed to spend that much, go for the ENO, or wait 'til April (?) and go for the Tensile Front Freewheel (Y)

Just bear in mind that to buy an Eno will cost you approx. £85, incl.P&P. Hell, even less if you're frugal :P Anyways, if you buy a Profile, don't forget that it won't just be the £155-odd for the hub. You've got to pay for the spokes you'll need, and if you're a pansy and don't want to have to build it yourself add a tenner (sometimes at least) for a new wheel build, then around £20 for that new 18t fixed sprocket you'll need up front. Allowing £10 for spokes, £10 for build, £20 for the sprocket and £155 for the hub, that brings you up to a grand total of £195 or so. I don't give a damn what anyone says - a Profile isn't £110 better than an Eno. I know that sounds stupid and you can't say, for example, "A Mars is £2.40 better than a bag of Haribo" or whatever, but you could just as easily spend that money on something else to benefit your bike. My Eno lasted me for a year, and then when it died it was just a pawl shearing, which raped a spring too. For the rest of that year, I had flawless engagement, super easy servicing, and nothing to worry about (except for trouser-freewheel interaction, but that hardly ever happened in fairness). I suppose the same could possibly be said about Profiles, but I know of a lot of them shitting the bed when the driver goes mental, and also bearing-death in them seems a bit more common than I'd really want in a fairly expensive setup.

Personally, I'd just go Eno, or maybe even the new Tensile if it's as cheap as it sound like it will be.

Profiles are so so so much better than eno and don't skip as much , the problems worth eno's is they always come undone and alway skip so it is worth the money to get a profile.

If you follow the Eno Cleaning thread in the FAQ, it'll virtually never skip. Like Dan also said, they don't come loose. Oh wait, mine did once. My bad. Either way, you ARE thinking of Claws, which is largely loosened by the open bearing. However, 'cos of the sealed bearings of the Eno they don't loosen then lockring at all. Sorted.

Good call :P The Eno came loose once for me, then I tightened it up good 'n' proper and it's been fine every since, pretty much. The new Tensile also can't come loose due to how it's designed, but you can weld or glue ACS's shut anyway I suppose...

Profile, my mini has 'clicked' twice never full blown skipped and you dont notice 72 eps over 48 really. 4 pawls and strong springs, much more reliable drivetrain, get the profile!

tom tom

My 6 pawls beats your 4 :P Just about the skipping thing - it's the same with the Eno too. The only proper skip I've had on my bike was running a damn ACS Claw :angry:

My 6 pawls beats your 4 :P Just about the skipping thing - it's the same with the Eno too. The only proper skip I've had on my bike was running a damn ACS Claw :angry:

grrr the anger

whatever you get told here nick ill just moan at you, no matter what you go for i guess :P

tom tom

I've told you before (i think anyway) that you should get an eno or the new tensile when it comes out, it has roughly the same engagements as a profile if not more and its £35 and as Onzaboymark said as long as you look after them then they shouldn't skip but then again you have to look after hubs aswell. Have a look at the different freewheels from here >>FREEWHEELS<<

Edited by fredrico

I've told you before (i think anyway) that you should get an eno or the new tensile when it comes out, it has roughly the same engagements as a profile if not more and its £35 and as Onzaboymark said as long as you look after them then they shouldn't skip but then again you have to look after hubs aswell. Have a look at the different freewheels from here >>FREEWHEELS<<

Ok i will bear that in mind marcus. Thank You (Y)

Profile, my mini has 'clicked' twice never full blown skipped and you dont notice 72 eps over 48 really. 4 pawls and strong springs, much more reliable drivetrain, get the profile!

tom tom

That's becuase due to the gearing the profile has 72 ep at the pedals. So it should feel exactly the same.

"A Mars is £2.40 better than a bag of Haribo"

Bloody hell! Expensive mars bar! (Don't know if anyone else has said that, not read the entire post).

I'd personally go for the Profile. I has an ACS Claw (utter shit) and went profile. It's worth the money, the bike is a lot more responsive, although an eno has the same ep. A benifit of having an Profile is that you will have a decent hub...and a fixed front sprocket really doesn't matter too much. However, you can still have a decent Eno on a shit hub.

You may aswell go the full mile and get a new hub. They're smooth as feck regarding you look after it. My sexy lime green one as skipped twice, but that was only when pedaling REALLY slowly.

I recommend the profile!