Vw's On The Trials Forum

nmt_oli

Haha, i was wondering how long it would take you oily.

Indeed!

again, oops :rolleyes:

ee29_1.JPG

Yamaha YZF1000R Carbs and custom manifold being made, all for the small sum of £160 delivered. Result.

Edited by nmt_oli

oily you nut job! tis about time you put a decent engine in it. this lil run around is taking a turn towards being a serious car!

mine on the other hand is for sale. 500 bucks to anyone that wants a mk2 golf gti 8v or buy my mini instead.

new car please :)

• 2 weeks later...
Nick- im not disowning the mini i just need a reliable daily driver and this is a damn good deal- and much better than a broken pug 205. I don't have the money or the no claims to mod the golf- its a 1.6, so its staying standard. only things im likely to do are relay the headlights so i can run brighter bulbs, and maybe replace suspension bushses and such things that are likely to be worn on an 18 year old car.

Deary me, how things change! I laughed reading this, not only is the mini STILL not finished, i have modded the golf, quite extensively, and the suspension bushes, which i knew needed doing when i bought it and mentioned there, i still haven't done!!!! im getting sooo many horrible suspension noises now though lol.

Workshop is tidy, new engine is in workshop, along with a GTI subframe, wishbones, and 16v hubs and all parts to refurb.

Subframe and crossmember with poly bushes

DSC01672.jpg

Hubs and brakes

DSC01673.jpg

New engine. 16v ***.

DSC01670.jpg

I need to get busy!

Edited by nmt_oli

oily you nut job! tis about time you put a decent engine in it. this lil run around is taking a turn towards being a serious car!

mine on the other hand is for sale. 500 bucks to anyone that wants a mk2 golf gti 8v or buy my mini instead.

new car please :)

I'd have it in a heartbeat if my bank balance wasn't £1.19. (N)

Even if it's just the 8v model, anythings better than my 1.2 clio.

Right, found a car it's looking more and more likely I'm gunna buy, I'm probably being an idiot, but I'm buying a cheepo car to fix up as a kinda project, rather than chucking all my money into the car its self. But yeah, probably the worse choice, but more fun and personal imo.

It's a 1988 VW Polo Coupe S. Just want to check some facts on the thing, but 45kw(61bhp) is right for standard yeah? (well, from the factory anyway), and 750kg? Anyone know if they're mpi like the later GTs or just single point?

What kinda things should I be looking out for when I'm checking it over? it was bought by a serious mechanic/enthusiast a few months ago for his son, and then sold on to the current owner as the son never used it. The current owners looking through the service history to see when the last cam belt and head gasket were put in. It's got a new fuel tank and filler pipe, along with some of the cooling pipes being replaced recently. Runs perfectly apparently and has done the current owner well on a few long drives.

Only problems I've heard of with the Coupe S's is the shitty breaks (like all old polos) and the suspension being a bit wollowy, but I'd plan to upgrade these 2 things asap anyway, probably to passat breaks and some aftermarket suspension. Anything else that I should be worried about?

The only other changes I'd be looking at for now would be a 4-2-1 stainless manifold and de-cat, fully striping the car out, rollcage, and other engine stuff I'll work out later, after all, I've got a year to think about it till I can actualy afford the insurance on it modded! haha. But yeah, nothing external, except lower, and probably on some nice wide weller wheels.

(I know I could go down the 106/205/corsa/whatever other car rought and get more power and maybe better handling for cheeper, but I really dont care, I just love the retro cool of the oldschool polo coupes.)

how much did you sell it for in the end radfax?

didnt brother, the twat turned up to tale it, loaded it on his trailer and then went, ive had a change of heart.

............twat

gave me £600 in cash then asked for it back

Haha, awesome. I'm kinda confused with the one I'm getting. It says coupe S on the back, but GT on the front, and the sticker in the boot with the colour code and all that stuff on it says GT. Previous owners confused about it too. But I'm not really bothered, I've done the insurance quotes by the plate not the spec. Also it doesn't have a sunroof but apparently that was one of the extras the coupe S's had? meh, again, whatever it is, I can insure it, and if its more GT than coupe S then I'm not complaining!

Some pictures for you guys. I'll get some better pic's when I get it, but these are from the add for now, haha, not a lot to look at atm, but dropped and cleaned up a bit I recon it'll be awesome:

post-11001-1181735355.jpg

post-11001-1181810975.jpg

post-11001-1181811051.jpg

post-11001-1181811072.jpg

post-11001-1181811095.jpg

Ah thats mint. Wish I could have a black one shame mine's white but still looks the bizzle when i'll add some chromes to it lol. I'll blast some pics when i get mine and give it a good clean as it's t cut to thee max lol.

I've got the milage in today too, only with the father driving. haha, only time I'm glad not to have a license. Anyway, bought the polo, 250 whole english quid! Few cosmetic bits of rust, but a mechanical very sound car that would have sold for like 500 if they'd taken the time to sort the external shit. Was a really nice guy I bought it off anyway. Oh, and trust me, going 450 miles round trip stuck at 60 on the motorway because of towing a trailer is fooookkiiinn boring!

Anyways, pictures once there uploaded. (Y)

Edit:

Only had time for a few snaps while loading it up as we wanted to set off back as early as possible. I'll get some propper ones once I've got rid of the bubble rust and dodgy touch up. All in all I think its awesome for 250 quid. Quicker than I was expecting even with my dad driving it, and fun. Inside it's absolutly mint, not a thing wrong or unorriginal! 720kg and 60bhp according to haynes, haha, anyone know what 95Nm's in ft/lb is?

DSCF2564.jpg

DSCF2557.jpg

DSCF2565.jpg

It's not technically a GT, as they didn't make GT's in 1988, its a coupe S, but they were sold on the continent as GTs, so alot of them reached the UK still with the front GT badges. It seems kind of a grey area with it anyway, all the mot stuff is written as gt, and the speck sticker thing with the colour code and stuff says GT, But its a registered as a coupe S.

(all very much 'apparently' I'm not really bothered, coupe S would be cool, GT even better, so either way I'm happy(Y))

Edited by Dont you Just Hate it When...

Cool, yeah, that's the one.

Just had a pleasant surprise, plugged an old Sony head-unit in because the previous owner had never bothered with a stereo and was surprised how good it sounded, had a closer look and the shelf speakers had been replaced with Alpines, and run from the front outputs off the head-unit. So those alpine 4x3s or whatever they are are going in the front doors, and some infinity 6x9's I got cheep from work are going in the back just under where these ones are so they're nice and out of the way. So total cost for music is now 30 quid for the head-unit off my ex, and 38 for the infinity's from work. haha, easily good enough stereo for me.

Was gunna start cleaning up the outside Wednesday, but as the forecasts so bad I don't reckon I'll have the chance.

Niicceee.

Yeah, I should pass alot quicker now I've got something to learn in anyway. Got the stereo pretty sorted now, jsut need to figure out whats going on with the wirering, at the moment the rear speakers are coming out of the front outputs, and the left's coming out of the right, and the right out of the left. Can't even find where the front speakers are meant to be! haha. Hoping for some dry weather on wednesday though (not that it's gunna happen) so I can really get in and have a look while I'm sorting the bubble rust.

Dam you with your GT !! lol Well inside on mine has the gt interior as well lol. Heres mine its finally done 100K miles :P

22062007046.jpg

22062007047.jpg

22062007049.jpg

Last picture went gay for some strange reason oh well.

Just needs a good clean up and some wheels and it'll be beasty (Y)

Edited by TomN

Nice, looks better condition than mine, and 20k better off. How much did you pay for it in the end? I got my bonnet rust-free and painted once, then my mate lent on it as it was drying :angry: , so had to sand it all down and stuff, got it just ready and the wind picked up too much to spray it, then it started raining, so its looking wank. Made the most of the bad weather though and got the audio sorted out, now got one of the alpine 6x4s that came in the back of the car in the front gill thing in the center of the dash, and my infinity 6x9s in the back hung under where the old speakers were so they're not in the way of putting bikes in, and sorted the dodgy wiring. Sounds easily good enough for me now.

As far as modifying its concerned, I basically just wanna clean it up and get it really good condition till I'm 19, then I'll go on HIC and get down to it. First on the list is Golf GTI breaks, BBS RA's, roll cage, and 60mm drop on some half decent shocks, then ported and polished head and inlet manifold, and a stainless 4 branch exhaust manifold, oh then a Schrick 268/268 cam. Haha, better get saving......... lots.