Vw's On The Trials Forum

nmt_oli

looking good oily shall be a bit more of a tidy motor when shes finished:) (Y)

my motor on the other hand decided it would be funny to let one of the gear shift linkages snap :blink: luckily i'd managed to drive 95 of the 115 miles home so only had to deal with bridgwater at 5 in the afternoon with only 3rd and 4th gear, oh the fun (N)

off to the scrappy to get one tomorrow hopefully

p.s. buy my mini and (or) the golf i wanna new car :)

I see you looking Tic, what you think?
Should make a crazy difference, I kinda think your going way overboard but I spose you only have one try unless you want to strip it down a second time so you may as well do a proper job to start with.

I also think you should buy my sub and amp so you can run a dual set up, oh and when your done can we play with the two 12" Infinities and massage my back again? :P

New front bumper, yay!

DSC01106.jpg

Free mini engine as a passenger.

DSC01107.jpg

Oh dear, shouldnt have done that!

DSC01108.jpg

DSC01115.jpg

DSC01116.jpg

Straightened out the back some more today, am quite pleased.

DSC01117.jpg

DSC01118.jpg

Before work:

DSC00523.jpg

After work:

DSC01120.jpg

With some filler:

DSC01121.jpg

Not lookgin too bad now

DSC01123.jpg

BIG improvement!

DSC01124.jpg

Rear bumper test fit:

DSC01119.jpg

And some more

DSC01122.jpg

i hate wankers in big posh 4x4's that drive to fast down country lanes in the middle of the road :angry: , had to literally dive into the hedge in the car, but managed to hit an old rusty gat that was buried in it, so now need a new front bumper. bastards should stay in the city's with there pristinely clean chelsea tractors. not good :(

Lots of activity from me, even went back to the workshop after dinner and didnt come home again till 1 AM!!! :blink:

Inside of bumpers lookgin a bit scabby, so wire brushed them and gave them a coat of hammerite.

DSC01128.jpg

DSC01134.jpg

Filler work on the frotn wing, had a coupel of dents.

DSC01136.jpg

Lots of progress to the rear panel:

DSC01132.jpg

DSC01135.jpg

DSC01137.jpg

DSC01138.jpg

DSC01154.jpg

Took all my arch trims off, fair bit of rust underneath, as expected. Will jsut brush them down and hamerite, will be covered up again to no point wasting time makign them perfect.

DSC01131.jpg

Got bored of sanding, so got my Audi handles and central locking out.

DSC01142.jpg

Should fit nicely in there!

DSC01143.jpg

Bite the bullet, attackign perfectly good door with a grinder! Scary!

DSC01144.jpg

DSC01145.jpg

Trimed and fabricated Audi plate

DSC01146.jpg

Fits quite nice:

DSC01148.jpg

Weldings not the best, but for my first attempt of car body work its not too shabby i don't think.

DSC01149.jpg

After the first skim of filler:

DSC01155.jpg

DSC01152.jpg

One VERY happy Oli!!!

From behind:

DSC01157.jpg

Then, after dinner went and installed some more sound deadening.

Scraping off overspray wax/underseal

DSC01160.jpg

First layer inside the door, bit fiddly.

DSC01161.jpg

Around the exaust tunnel

DSC01159.jpg

And the rear seat base

DSC01158.jpg

Well, thats it so far. Don't know how much il be able to do tomorrow, got to go shopping with grandparents for a bit.

looking good oli :) think you need some practice with the mig :P those handle do look nice though.

joy of joys for me some lil skank decided it would eb a good idea to put my passenger door window through, luckily caught them as he was doing it so nothing nicked, lil scally got away though :( not a lot goin right atm :(

looking good oli :) think you need some practice with the mig :P those handle do look nice though.

joy of joys for me some lil skank decided it would eb a good idea to put my passenger door window through, luckily caught them as he was doing it so nothing nicked, lil scally got away though :( not a lot goin right atm :(

Your not alone with broken glass craig!

I was doing so well, got my quater windows outon my own no trouble, then had a good look the the windscreen. a bit of rust down the LHD wiper mount, plus i would like to smooth it. Seal is the same as all the other fixed windows, so thought sod it, lets do this properly and set about removing the screen too. Corner looked just about to pop out when - Crack - bummer! need new screen now, oh well, give me an excuse to get top tint. my old one was very sratched and glary too.

Right, update time again. Has been gogin a bit slow, but had to do more repair work. after grinding back rust on arches, some of it was pretty grim. Will be doign some scrapyard rading and a trip to GSF tomorrow (hopefully there open) to get the last things i need, then it will be full steam ahead.

Right, most of the prep work is now done. all smoothing work complete, both audi handles are in, and the shape at eh back is pretty much there. I need to find some stopper, final sand all filler, prep the rest of the paint and then mask.

Heres some piccys!

Slight rust under qauter lights

DSC01164.jpg

Bugger!

DSC01165.jpg

At least i got it out though, nasty ness underneath

DSC01178.jpg

Test fit new tail gate

DSC01170.jpg

Panel gaps look much nicer!

DSC01171.jpg

Audi handle number 2

DSC01176.jpg

bugger! Those arches are a nice water trap.

DSC01186.jpg

DSC01187.jpg

never fear, novice welder to the rescue!

DSC01191.jpg

Vw and prime cost cutting, make a LHD car RHD, but leave the LHD wiper mount there, even on the motor braket!

DSC01183.jpg

DSC01184.jpg

Ah, thats better! trimed wiper motor braket, smoothed scuttle and flushed wing mount ariel hole.

DSC01190.jpg

dont forget the dewipered boot!

DSC01199.jpg

Prep coming along nicely. Smooth!

DSC01194.jpg

DSC01193.jpg

DSC01192.jpg

DSC01195.jpg

DSC01196.jpg

DSC01197.jpg

looks like its movin on very nicely oily! sure you dont wanna splash out and get it sprayed properly??? :P loving the audi handles. ive wanted to smooth off my LHD wiper mount for while now, mines bubbling but the spray job is a real off put :(

mines finally got some glass in the passenger door now, and i straightened up the bumper, which will just have to do until i can afford to buy a new one.

big bumper for sale anyone??? got a nice tax refund of £450 which should come through in a month or so, think its goin on the golf :) just a few things to make it look a lil nicer.

new big bumper

16v rear lights

smoked fogs

bit of sound deadening, not to oilys extent

new speakers all round

either stealth sub and amp

or

35mm drop shocks and springs

torn really i love me tunes but she does wollow a lil :P

any other ideas glady taken

looks like its movin on very nicely oily! sure you dont wanna splash out and get it sprayed properly??? :P loving the audi handles. ive wanted to smooth off my LHD wiper mount for while now, mines bubbling but the spray job is a real off put :(

If only i could afford the porper spray job! I have £3 left in my overdraught, started selling bits off the mini lol! (the standard bits i don't need anyway).

Look out for 2nd hand suspension craig, don't buy lowered springs new, its a rip. If your going to buy new susp get coilys. I say go for the ICE and keep your eye out for suspension. Might even sell you mine (40mm lowered on uprated dampers) if i have enough student loan to get coilys next month.

Kinda off topic, but:

Craig, if you want some car audio stuff give me a shout, I dont drive my car so much anymore and am contemplating selling my system to add to my travel funds.

Its basically the same set-up as Oli's, a 4 channel JBL amp, 10" JBL sub in sealed box and some 16.5cm Infinity components, I am sure the cabling I have for it all would be enough to install it in a golf aswell...

I will be kinda sad to see it go but thought I would make the offer incase your interested :)

If only i could afford the porper spray job! I have £3 left in my overdraught, started selling bits off the mini lol! (the standard bits i don't need anyway).

Look out for 2nd hand suspension craig, don't buy lowered springs new, its a rip. If your going to buy new susp get coilys. I say go for the ICE and keep your eye out for suspension. Might even sell you mine (40mm lowered on uprated dampers) if i have enough student loan to get coilys next month.

i wasnt just gonna get springs, was most likely gonna get the jamex uprated dampers and 35mm drop springs, my dad ran them on his mk2 16v he used to use for hill climbs before he got the swift gti and he was more than happy with them, i dont know if i could warrant the extra money the coilies cost, especially as im in the process of polishing the mini to sell so new car will follow once it gone. just wanna make the golf a little nicer before it goes.

Kinda off topic, but:

Craig, if you want some car audio stuff give me a shout, I dont drive my car so much anymore and am contemplating selling my system to add to my travel funds.

Its basically the same set-up as Oli's, a 4 channel JBL amp, 10" JBL sub in sealed box and some 16.5cm Infinity components, I am sure the cabling I have for it all would be enough to install it in a golf aswell...

I will be kinda sad to see it go but thought I would make the offer incase your interested :)

i may very wel be interested in the sub and amp set up, ive already got a set of alpine 16.5 and 13's that im taking outta the mini, so choice on the front speakers is sorted. what rating is the amp, as i'd bridge a few channels to run the sub and the the other two would power some jbl gto 6x4's replacing the standard ones.

cheers (Y)

i may very wel be interested in the sub and amp set up, ive already got a set of alpine 16.5 and 13's that im taking outta the mini, so choice on the front speakers is sorted. what rating is the amp, as i'd bridge a few channels to run the sub and the the other two would power some jbl gto 6x4's replacing the standard ones.cheers (Y)
JBL GTO75.4 Amp

JBL-GTO1002D Sub

i wasnt just gonna get springs, was most likely gonna get the jamex uprated dampers and 35mm drop springs, my dad ran them on his mk2 16v he used to use for hill climbs before he got the swift gti and he was more than happy with them, i dont know if i could warrant the extra money the coilies cost, especially as im in the process of polishing the mini to sell so new car will follow once it gone. just wanna make the golf a little nicer before it goes.

i may very wel be interested in the sub and amp set up, ive already got a set of alpine 16.5 and 13's that im taking outta the mini, so choice on the front speakers is sorted. what rating is the amp, as i'd bridge a few channels to run the sub and the the other two would power some jbl gto 6x4's replacing the standard ones.

cheers (Y)

Tics got the same 4chan amp, and newer one of my subs.

Don't bother amping up the rears craig, amp up the fronts!

Fair on the suspension i suppose.

Big update from me comign up, just uploading piccys.

Right, since last update:

much more filler work done, even if it doesnt look it! Rear panel is nearly there, shoule only be a couple more hours work. Front is pretty much done, just all needs flatting down for paiting. Still got to finish the doors, and half the roof.

Also made a LOT of pregress with sound proofing. Have been staying at the car till abotu 10pm, when it gets dark stop sanding and crack on with the sound deadening!

Heres some pics!

DSC01216.jpg

DSC01219.jpg

DSC01215.jpg

DSC01225.jpg

DSC01227.jpg

this might get some interest, feel free to ask questions!

DSC01228.jpg

DSC01230.jpg

DSC01231.jpg

DSC01232.jpg

DSC01237.jpg

DSC01236.jpg

DSC01238.jpg