Vw's On The Trials Forum

nmt_oli

Polo mk3's are so blatently the nicest VW's made if you mod them right....

I love 'em. Finding a tidy one these days is a bit of a task though

oh purleasse. Mk3 polos best VW when modded :lol: now thats just silly... unless you weld a mk1/mk2 golf shell on it and bung an R32 lump in ;)

NMT - cheers mate!

yup FK 4x100 to 5x100 adaptors in 25mm width, pushes the wheels out nicely for better stance (Y)

right,

today i went back and had another look at this mk3 polo, its 1994 1.3 in white and he is after £250 and i recon i could make him take 200 maybe even 150 if i tried hard!

Anything to look out for when buying polos?

look for rot at the lower front windscreen edge and lower front area of the doors. Any knocking from engine when cold, blue/white smoke from exhaust, lumpy tickover any chassis rot.

but really mate, for £200 i wouldn't expect alot to be honest. if it goes and stops and its not completely rotten, itll prob be fine.

take some one with car knowledge if you can (Y)

oh purleasse. Mk3 polos best VW when modded :lol: now thats just silly... unless you weld a mk1/mk2 golf shell on it and bung an R32 lump in ;)

NMT - cheers mate!

yup FK 4x100 to 5x100 adaptors in 25mm width, pushes the wheels out nicely for better stance (Y)

All of them have there place, especially a G40 owner making big boys cars look stupid on the motorway :)

went had a look at that mk3 and it was shagged floor pans were rotten to *uck exsaust was rotten and was all rust on the rear quaters under the windows :( oh well minis it is :)

You just got bad luck. I reckon 1/30 vw's are rusty as far as that, look at another I guarantee it'll be better...

If rust is a worry for you mini's are definitely not the way to go as well :|

• 3 weeks later...

Right, car playing up a little atm.

Whats the easiest way to find a vacuum leak? Since my carb makes a lot of sucking noise, hard to do it by ear!

Problem is i have a wandering and lumpy idle, and the engine will cut out if the brakes are used heavily (which exausts the vaccum).

i will check the rubber mount to inlet manifold, and carb to manifold when i get the chance. could probably do with replaceing hoses from inlet manifold to brake servo, and the little one to the dizzy.

Its always a possiblity that my inlet manifold is loose, but i don't know if i can actually tighten it up without removing the head from the engine and bay lol, bit of a stupid design!

The glass also fell off one of my headlights, so time for new lights me thinks! not sure whether to go brand new hellas, or go for some crystals. Will also get a new grille as most of the light ajusters on mine are shagged. Badgeless time!

Need to sort out my rust as well, need a warm dry weekend though- there getting hard to find!

golf was in a stick of bother over the last month, head gasket blown and only runing on 3 cylinders at time. so rather that paying money for all the work and bits and the skimming, wen tout and just bought a lower milage 8v gti engine, £120 quid with box and shizzle done 96k full serice history (Y) just gotta go home for the weekend to fit it

Nice man (Y) love the colour

www.clubpolo.co.uk

have a look if you need any help on it there is quite a few good articles and knowledgable people on there :)

cheers :P its only whilst my mini is off road having a new engine put in :D

been a member for quite a while with clubpolo, originally porka.net (i believe) as my mates have gt's and 16v etc :P

Woooo! fixed my dodgy idle problem now! replaced a hose on the vacuum line (was cracked) and remounted the carb (base plate loose). Should be all gravy in the go go department now, especially since ive got around to putting the heating element on. Should help with carb icing.

Gonna try and get cracking on the body work tomorrow, want to derust, debadge and prime. Will mattblack the car at some point, if i get the courage.

Edited by nmt_oli

Gone lazy with the body work! 80 grit the rust spots down to bare metal, followed by a wipe over with clean cloth then a splodge of black hamerite! Looks shit, but stops the rust and is quick and easy.

Will concentrate on making it look pretty after winter.

• 2 weeks later...

Bargain scrappy find of wednesday!

Went down the local scrappy in search of a radiator for dads discovery (suspected small leak), didint find one, but did find a fresh in mk2 GTI! with front side damage.

Parcel shelf, carpeted shelf side supports, boot carpet, space saver spare wheel (so i now have a flat boot floor), split rear seats (black) and front passenger seat (black), plus 2 headlights from another golf, along with a load of dash switches. Total cost: £40 :D

doorcars i didnt get, front right was mangled with door. drivers seat was very worn (and possibly damaged).

All is in already, so nick no more complaining! passegner comfort is much improved, seat doesnt pop, wobble or fall off now! as well as being more supportive.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought you guys might appreciate some pics of the sargeant:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

He's a Mk3 Polo, 1045 CC and a little beast, Cant think of a better first car, I was really inspired by the VW's in here so i had to get one. But after sorting through the local classifieds and getting insurance quotes it became increasingly clear why everyone around here drives corsa's! due to the availibility and cheap insurance, but when this little diamond came up i couldnt say no, thank you TF fro leading me to the wonderful german world of Volkswagen.

Thought you guys might appreciate some pics of the sargeant:

He's a Mk3 Polo, 1045 CC and a little beast, Cant think of a better first car, I was really inspired by the VW's in here so i had to get one. But after sorting through the local classifieds and getting insurance quotes it became increasingly clear why everyone around here drives corsa's! due to the availibility and cheap insurance, but when this little diamond came up i couldnt say no, thank you TF fro leading me to the wonderful german world of Volkswagen.

beast nice one (Y)

• 1 month later...

BUMP!

well, a plan has been hatched to do a quick rework of my golf in the easter break, kinda pimp my ride stlye in the fact that so much will be changed, but will be much more tasteful than pimp my ride.

Interior:

Fully sound deaden car

refit interior using new black carpets (current ones are grey)

New centre console, customised to take stereo where ashtray should be.

Fit leather front seats im pickingup this week

Make fit and trim sub box for the other side of my boot, that matches my amp rack.

Replace switch lights with LEDs, and cluster lights with LEDs

Fit Black door cards

Exterior:

clean, remove glass, rub down existing paintwork and sort all rust spots/dents.

de wiper new tailgate

Spray with matt black!

refit glass and exterior trim (bumpers, arches, side strips ect. which wil hopefully have been smoothed and painted gloss black)

Poss fit new wheels (in negotiation for some rather interesting ones, see below)

Sit back and admire Ghetto golf now its proper rat, a opposed to tatty!

I may be able to part ex my current wheels, for a set of porsche teledials in 15" with correct spacer/adaptors.

I just had to dubmod them as i didnt think theyd look right on the car, but they do. i rather like them. Opinions please:

wheel1.jpg

wheel2.jpg

untitled.jpg

Think they look aweful, sorry. :(

I think the only wheels to suite a Golf are;

PICT0025.JPG

PICT0031.JPG

Them.

Other then that, your plans sounds awesome. My 306 was going to be Matte Black, Matte Black wheels, black mask lights on front, tinted rear lights, chrome badge sprayed black, etc etc.

Do it. (Y)

i think the porsche wheels look good actually, i quite like the wheels you have currently but i can see why you'd want to change them.

go for the teledials imo. look smart, are pretty unique (in comparison to most alloys you'll see nowadays) and remind me of my dads old sierra with pepper-pots, (which is deffo a good thing).