Vw's On The Trials Forum

nmt_oli

Lookign even better now i have new brakes all round, and painted front calipers with the alloys on!

need to sort out 2 tyres for the back 2 alloys and they will be on tomorrow.

How much you get that cam for james? and has it made a lot of difference?

Since this is my daily driver, i dont think id want a more agressive cam. The GTI one is pretty agressive in our engines since its a smaller engine, and not injection.

If your free on monday afternoon, could always see if you can get a tune up straight after me or something.

Engine bay in full!

IPB Image

New brakes and painted calipers, tasty!

IPB Image

New brakes behind new wheels (looks liek its not very low, but it had only just been dropped off the jack- it settles to lower than that.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Hey guys, I Have been bitten by the VW bug. I'm looking to take my test in the next few weeks, Now as a first car I'm pretty convinced I want Either a VW gold Mk 1 or a camper van, preferably the real classic ones not the squarish type.

So i just want to know a few things:

• Is insurance considerably higher on a Golf than a Corsa?
  • Would a camper be an ok car to start with, as they are slightly bigger than you bog standard metro?
  • where can i find a Mk 1 gold 1.4 or smaller for around £750-100?
  • what sort of condition would a typical Mk Golf 1.4 be in for that price?
  • are they expensive to maintain?

I would be very grateful for any helpful replies.

Rick

Hey guys, I Have been bitten by the VW bug. I'm looking to take my test in the next few weeks, Now as a first car I'm pretty convinced I want Either a VW gold Mk 1 or a camper van, preferably the real classic ones not the squarish type.

So i just want to know a few things:

• Is insurance considerably higher on a Golf than a Corsa?
  • Would a camper be an ok car to start with, as they are slightly bigger than you bog standard metro?
  • where can i find a Mk 1 gold 1.4 or smaller for around £750-100?
  • what sort of condition would a typical Mk Golf 1.4 be in for that price?
  • are they expensive to maintain?

I would be very grateful for any helpful replies.

Rick

right, a camper van would be cool- but check into insurance first, they might not want to ensure a new driver on such a large vehicle, even if it isnt very high performance.

My golf is a 1.6 golf driver, cost me £1200 on insurance (TPFT) with no mods when i got it as although im 19 its first year driving, no exp, no no claims.

I got the car in pretty good condition for £450, so a lower model golf CL (you prob be lookign at a 1.3) would be easy to find in good nick for that price i would imagine. A golf mk 1 is likely to be in worse condition than a mk2, just because of age, but good ones are still around. have a look on autotrader, and im clasifieds liek golf+ mag.

I havent found my car to be expensive to maintain at all, but mainly because im doign the work myself. Labour costs more than parts.

Ive basically given it a 100k service- all fluids, timing belt, new brakes alround (pad/shoes and disks/drums) , new clutch, ne exaust full system, as well as engine mods (and new headgasket) and estimate i have spent around £750- much cheaper than if i had a garage to the work.

Go for a golf.

I can't believe im saying this but I'd stay away from a VW shag wag if I was you, unless you have some sort of money pump so can get more money into it faster?

There just a bit old. Some can only run for a 2 hours at a time before you need to stop and let it cool down, most are mofo'in rust buckets so top it off. If your in the money then get one but they do break... frequently.

James- 101.8 hp you tell me- not bad. I wonder how mine will compare with the GTI cam, was that at Tom Airy? dunno how compareable our figures will be if there from different rollers.

Bled my brakes today, much firmer pedal now. shame the rear left bleed nipple broke off, so cant bleed that drum :( at least got the other 3 done.

Also got some electro luminescent white dial faces, in the middle of installign them- finishing tomorrow morning. will post pics when done.

Wooo! dials look very tasty indeed will take pics later.

Got tracking and camber and stuff done today, laser alignment :) tad expensive though.

Thanks must go out to Tic for helping me make front speaker pods today, nearly done. hopefully just skim of filler and paint tomorrow.

IPB Image

You was at VanFest wasn't you. I saw your beast. Complete and utter SEX! Love it. What did you think of the weekend overall? Was awesome I thought. Weather was great and so was the entertainment apart from the Red Hot Chartbusters. They sucked! Ended up going to the Temes (sp) Hall to see the band in there.

Seriously good weekend though and hopefully have a bug for next years :D

Add me to msn as I fancy having a chat about your bug.

But yeah seriously nice car you have looked mint in person and knew it was yours from when i saw it :D

I got mine tuned at regal auto sport in the end. :) 101.8bhp and 98.3 lbft torque ;)

Considering you are meant to have a better cam than me- theres not a lot in it at all james! :P

RR tune at slarks, only did timing- fueling i would need to find my own jets/emulsion tubes as he doenst have the correct ones. Its perfect after 3.5k on the fuelling, a tad rich below- but only if you open the 2nd choke before then.

98.9bhp (6329rpm /147 mph in 5th) and 104.0 ft/lb torque (4001rpm) at the fly. 70bhp @ wheels.

Speedo 10% over read

IPB Image

Well, got car finished just in time for nicks birthday trip.

after 800 or so miles the gearbox has nearly fallen off (fixed), theres an odd squeek (have no idea what it is), cv boots have split spraying grease all over the inside of nice alloys, ran out of petrol when the gauge says over 1/4, so now have to fill up when it says 1/2, half of engine covered in oil as new oil presure sender leaks, nearly killed my batery. Also had a random missfire on the way back form nicks.

gotta love teething problems!

oh, and the passenger seat is broken.

will hopefully be all fixed again soon.

IPB Image

anyone got any ideas as to why my car uses so much fuel?

its pissing me off!!

btw i have a mk3 golf 1992 or 1993

thanks!

Will

diesel, petrol, engine size?

does it run smoothly, does it sound ok?

how does she/whoever drive it?

Brakes rubbing anywhere?

Low tyres?

roof bars?

Tracking?

SOOOOOO many things it could be.

anyone got any ideas as to why my car uses so much fuel?

its pissing me off!!

btw i have a mk3 golf 1992 or 1993

thanks!

Will

from here not a clue, could be a load of reasons, what was the HC reading like on the mot, could explain a lot. otherwise, possibly a big engine, heavy car, heavy right foot,but still cant see it being to bad, whats it doin mpg wise at the moment??

got a 1.6 in my tank of a car(not vw, but still german :D), running a loada mods, rollin on 18's. and driven like an idiot at times, still does 360 miles to a 50 quid tank at 91 p a litre.

basically large amounts of fuel are entering the engine, where it doesn't need that much fuel.

the amount of unburn fuel coming out of its ass is 8.5% where it should be 0.5% :S

basically i've changed the air inlet temp sensor, coolant temp sensor and lambode sensor alwell as plugs and air filter.

basically i think the choke is staying on too long and flooding the engine!

help please!!!

Right. I may be buying a Polo GT. I think its an early one. Same one as this I belive CLICKY

but in more of a oxidized period blood brown colour.

The poor thing started life owned by respectible people I'm sure. Then got passed on to my mate as a first car. He ragged the poor guts out of it, it then passed on to my other mate for the bargain sum of £100. Unfortunatly for the car, he is a rally fanatic and even though it was his daily drive it was often treated (or not) to a good sesh in the lanes, ditches, banks and multiple hedges.

Now after he rammed it in 1st on a tight hairpin, 1st has chosen to leave the car and the syncro in 2nd has almost gone.

So I'm after a gearbox for it, 2nd hand. Really struggling to find one.

So if anyone could help I would be gratefull. Even a whole engine with box would be alright. The car will eventually be for my gf, I may slowly re build an engine for it. I can't help it.

Edited by Trials Punk

Right. I may be buying a Polo GT. I think its an early one. Same one as this I belive CLICKY

but in more of a oxidized period blood brown colour.

The poor thing started life owned by respectible people I'm sure. Then got passed on to my mate as a first car. He ragged the poor guts out of it, it then passed on to my other mate for the bargain sum of £100. Unfortunatly for the car, he is a rally fanatic and even though it was his daily drive it was often treated (or not) to a good sesh in the lanes, ditches, banks and multiple hedges.

Now after he rammed it in 1st on a tight hairpin, 1st has chosen to leave the car and the syncro in 2nd has almost gone.

So I'm after a gearbox for it, 2nd hand. Really struggling to find one.

So if anyone could help I would be gratefull. Even a whole engine with box would be alright. The car will eventually be for my gf, I may slowly re build an engine for it. I can't help it.

www.clubpolo.co.uk

:)

The colour you mention sounds like indian red which is sexual has it got the all the GT badges?

basically large amounts of fuel are entering the engine, where it doesn't need that much fuel.

the amount of unburn fuel coming out of its ass is 8.5% where it should be 0.5% :S

basically i've changed the air inlet temp sensor, coolant temp sensor and lambode sensor alwell as plugs and air filter.

basically i think the choke is staying on too long and flooding the engine!

help please!!!

yea, thats wat i meant by hc reading, the unburnt fuel out of its ass. if its carb(i suspect its not) may need jetting an resetting up, if youve got a non interference injection, may be worth gettin the timing checked(altho it wud most likely run like a bag a crap too)

is it missing at all??

car an engine size wud help a lot(i seem to remember u saying it was a 106, but its time since i spoke to you, so may of got blurred with someone else, or you may of changed the car)

other things can be checked on an old car, throttle opening etc, leaks between the AFM and the inlet manifold, check make sure the inlet manifold is on securely, perhaps remove it from the head an check for coke build up.

also just noticed, you aint changed your AFM, would be my first port of call if i had this problem, above all the other stuff youve done and ive mentioned.

also bear in mind, youve changed these sensors, but could just as easily be a broken wire leading to one of the sensors.