Vw's On The Trials Forum

nmt_oli

Back onto Vdubs, makign a few subtle mods to me golf as its going to be a long slog getting my mini finished.

Styling:

going a bit stealthy here, already smoked front indicators, and side repeaters- looks MUCH better now. Just need some smoked rear lights (any one got any?).

also need to improve front lighting, headlights are shocking, and im still missing a spot. anyone recomend good front lights? (quad grille)

Will eb touching up rust, repainting wheels ect soon as well.

Performance:

loads of body roll, lookign to drop it slightly- dont want to loose to much comfort. will 30mm springs improve handling without making it uncomfortable? cant aford full dampers ect too unfortunately.

Got a webber carb, need to get it on and set up. need a baseplate, choke cable and some gaskets and stuff.

while engine is in bits, since i need to do the timing belt still im tempted to whip the head off, clean up the valves and replace head gasket just incase its on its way out. dont know how long this will take me though!

Last time i tried to replace timing belt i couldnt get the crank pulley off (not the timing pulley, the alternator belt pulley) any one know how? i got the 3 allen head botls out, but wouldnt budge, so tried to get the centre bolt out but it wasnt having any of it. this meant i couldnt get to the inner belt cover to replace it :(

need some advise!

Back onto Vdubs, makign a few subtle mods to me golf as its going to be a long slog getting my mini finished.

need some advise!

dont ask me!!!!! im a mini man :P

all i know is my audi needs to be quicker, and the brakes need to be better, i totally cooked them tonight!!!!! fu<kers!

boost control calve and boost guage next week.

who said i was asking you nick! :P

anyone know any good VW forums, most seem to be wank compared to here and mini forums.

need some step by step how toos for cambelt, head gasket and carb- haynes manual is fecking useless. :rolleyes:

I've just bought a lowring kit for my golf, shocks and springs. If you were intending to just get springs then don't lower any more than 35mm as the shocks will give up quite quickly. As far as lights go get yourself an uprated wiring loom off ebay and fit some hellfrauds bulbs, will make a world of difference.

I wouldn't bother with your headgasket unless you have to oli, you've got a low mileage car and it won't need doing till around 120k.

Where did you get the smoked indicators from? Need some for my golf ;)

James

clear side repeaters - £10

foliatech tint spray -£15 (minus staff discount of course)

totally stealth front end- priceless.

james, i was thinking of doing the head gasket as ive got to do the timing belt and tensioner, and the carb, oh and rocker cover gasket, so while all thats off, it cant be too much more to do the head gasket and studs!

would rather know its done, and will be reliable, than have it fail at an inoportune time! plus it may have doen a few more k- its stopped clocking! lol. Peventative maintenace is always a good idea.

Also now planning 4 new tyres this week- front 2 are mismatched pair, half worn and scary in the wet as this evening has reminded me! rears are good, but cheap and one has got a nick in the side wall. spare is legal but thats all!

planning on putting rear left (the good one) as the spare, and 4 new tyres all round. will also repaint the wheels.

i was going to go for yoko A539s, but now im not too sure. national tyres said while there better than other japanese tyres, there still a bit sketchy in the wet and wear is fast. they have some good looking brand tyre, a subdivision of conti. they say they have had good feedback, internet reviews look good- plus its cheap, and i get free puncture repairs!

at £160 for all 4 fitted, balanced including tracking i think its pretty good!.

James, also thinking about my exaust since it dying. i woudl love a full system- but that will be expensive! i was looking at the 8v gti exaust parts on GSF and it looked abotu 110 for everythign execpt manifold. is it worth going for that, or getting a manifold back system (as aftermarket manifolds are VERY expensive) from maniflow or similar, on a standard or gti manifold?

i was going to go for yoko A539s, but now im not too sure. national tyres said while there better than other japanese tyres, there still a bit sketchy in the wet and wear is fast

My yokos are preety sweet in all weathers (well, what we have had o far, damp, rain, heat and cold ect) Not much road noise, no steering wheel vibration like i got with my pirrelis and aren't showing any signs of wear ( I go out in the mini atleast once a day, doing 20 miles minimum). I know i have had them on, a month? But still, there good tyres, highly reccomend them and I know Prawn liked his :)

I would love something VW, mk2 polo or such, always been a fan since I saw my mates (street lee) mk 2 polo.

I know 539s are good, but im thinking these will be more suitable. cheaper, free puncture repair, longer life, low road noise, all what i want on a daily driver- and there still meant to be pretty grippy in wet and dry.

Im very tempted to see what there like cause of the price. plus golf is daily driver- not plaything like my mini.

Oli

I know 539s are good, but im thinking these will be more suitable. cheaper, free puncture repair, longer life, low road noise, all what i want on a daily driver- and there still meant to be pretty grippy in wet and dry.

Im very tempted to see what there like cause of the price. plus golf is daily driver- not plaything like my mini.

Oli

£160 for a full set of fitted tyres is TOO cheap.... a full setof bootson mums A3 was £500....

i know its no track car, but you do drive it properly!

my old man runs A539's, in a 225/55/16 size, and theyre INCREDIBLE!!!!!

dont skimp on tyres

EVER

yeah, looks like i will be getting james' old alloys (15") with brand new a539s on them, for a pretty reasnoble price. wheels look crap, but worth it for the tyres!

just had to get a new battery as well! grrrr, oh well upgraded from a 400CCA to a 620 CCA, hopefully no more problems!

I really wouldn't believe anything national tell you erither as they're a bunch of f**king chimps. Mybrother had some tyres fitted and balanced and the tracking done on his car, 3 weeks later he was on the cord on the inside fronts. Went back in and all they were interested in was telling us how much a pile of shit his car was and they aren't gonna do f**k all.

Barum and Tigar tyres are a brand they pretty much independantly stock stupidly cheap so they're gonna reel bollocks off. They were trying to tell me that they are better than michelins etc etc....Whatever

The manifold will make the most difference oli and you wouldnt be able to go gti without doing it because of the twin downpipe. I'm sure I can find you a manifold though so I'll chatto you laters at work. Yeah those wheels are 195/50/15's (Y) Here's a pic:-

IPB Image

tehy look nice james! should go nicely on olis mk2!

after much reading around, it would appear that fitting an MBC on ym engine would be a bad idea!as people have no end of problems with getting the boost right, and stopping the ecu going into limp mode :S

i think for now, ill fit a performance recirc valve, and a decent big green air filter, and be done with it.

then, ill get a decent exhaust when funds permit, and finally a remap to around 220bhp in a years time or so.....

i think part of the problem is, that its SO silent i dont realise how fast im going....

came out of a 30 zone in 5th last night and planted it, and it just started off slowly, then came on boost and just kept going right round to 110 like it was nothing :S its still pulling like a train at 115 in 4th!

hahaha, youve seen the video too then?

still no idea what im going to do with my engine to be honest :S

i know a remap is the best option, and will open up over 200bhp. but right now, £500 is totally out of the question....

however, ive been reading up, and it would appear that by fitting an MBC along with a diode (to clamp the ecu voltage so it cant go into limp mode) i can safely increase boost to 15psi and maintain factory air/fuel ratios! meaning FAST FAST FAST!

need to find out more about the wiring though.....

I have to say, those wheels look 10x better with tyres on. i was worried theyd look chav, but shouldnt be too bad.

just on hold at direct line, thought i better check its not going to invalidate my insurance!

Fecking direct line! will void my insurance if i put those on! gay gay gay gay.