Freehub Rim Design

Concussion

Well..... last night this idea somehow popped into my head and as it's freezing today, I thought I'd Photoshop-up the idea.

I was thinking how it would be with a fixed sprocket on the front and back (I'm still kinda into that idea...it would be er` interesting!). Realizing the need to `coast` I thought why not put the ratchet/pawl mechanism on the outside of the wheel? So I came up with A then modified it a bit to get B...I hope my scribbles are clear enough!

Christ knows how many pawls/engagement points it would have and I imagine the weight would be a problem....and all the rest! :(

OK, that's me done........ just interested in what you guys think? :-

PS: I know there are already hubs doing this job perfectly well.....just humor me or somethin!

IPB Image

well, very good idea certainly something i imagine never has beeen thought of before...

i didnt get it at first, but happy now ^_^

an extra rim and some pawls wouldnt be too heavy...but a big rachet around the whole rim, thats were it gets heavy !

i like the idea all the same though, complicated but inventive...thinking out side the box :)

*goes to add reply* but

woh brainwave: since you would have basically the hub internals inside your rim...you wouldnt need the internals inside your hub! smaller hub+more support,bigger axle and all of a sudden the wheel doesnt seem that heavy :rolleyes:

Hell why not just take the hub out all together? If you fixed the outside rim part to your frame you would have a fixed outer rim with a spinning innner one, this would mean you could lose the weith of the hub, axle spokes and everything.

Now someone else think of how you can fit a brake to this and how you can get the wheel to turn seeing as theirs no longer a rear sprocket.

My idea seems a bit pants now. :(

Eidt: oooh no fix the inner part of the rim to the frame and then the outside bit will spin and you can run a normal rim brake again. Now for a method of getting it to turn.

Edited by Krisboats

brakes?

If I can figure out some internal locking device, that would lock the rims, producing a brake effect...also eliminating the current rear brake set-up (Y) Dang...it's just coming to me!

If you lok at the diagram, you can see that one rim clamps onto the other, btw wouldn't this thing weight a ton?

Yes.....but see above about brake (Y)

The barings would also ahve to be pretty damn strong to stand up to the forces of all the body weight of the rider landing on the rear wheel. It is a very good idea though, good to see someone's thinking about possible future bike parts. :D

Cheers (Y)

woh brainwave: since you would have basically the hub internals inside your rim...you wouldnt need the internals inside your hub! smaller hub+more support,bigger axle and all of a sudden the wheel doesnt seem that heavy :rolleyes:

Totally, and thanks (Y)

Hell why not just take the hub out all together? If you fixed the outside rim part to your frame you would have a fixed outer rim with a spinning innner one, this would mean you could lose the weith of the hub, axle spokes and everything.

Now someone else think of how you can fit a brake to this and how you can get the wheel to turn seeing as theirs no longer a rear sprocket.

My idea seems a bit pants now. :(

Eidt: oooh no fix the inner part of the rim to the frame and then the outside bit will spin and you can run a normal rim brake again. Now for a method of getting it to turn.

Christ...let me think about that?

I really hope you weren't suggesting some kind of back-pedal brake system, like with the coaster hubs? :P

Anyways, if you had a sideways impact on the wheel, a normal wheel would flex and mean most of that play would be eliminated before it reached the hub. However, if you've got the rim-in-rim situation, it's going to twist that, meaning it'd mess the drivetrain up? Also, you'd have to have more pawls to make it stable, and a load of needle bearings too to try and stop any torsion and flex between the rims. And as people said, to make the wheel strong enough to withstand buckling which would totally ruin your system, it'd have to be a beast :P

Do any of you have any idea how heavy a rim would have to be to cope without spokes??? :blink:

This is a completely wild guess but i would imagine that lets say 900 grams for the rim and spokes don't weigh too much so i'd sayabout 300grams for them, in total thats about 1200 grams isn't it? (i'm not really being serious but its as good a guess as i could think of)

I even made this earlier to show my idea a bit better. I even went into how it'd need a small rear sprocket attached to a larger drivetrain cog. I was even trying to complicate things even more by trying to figure out how it could be run so that it had gears! :lol:

Anyway here's the picture.

IPB Image

This wasn't meant to be a serious thing.... I don't think anyone would try to make this to see if it would work for trials, just imagine how wide you could make the rear rim though so you could fit a massive tyre on. And i don't know how most of you didn't notice the biggest flaw..... as of yet in these ideas we have no way of being able to get the wheel out to replace the tyre or fit a new inner tube, and there you lot all were moaning about how it wouldn't be strong enough, you can't even replace the damn tyre!! :lol::lol::lol::D:o

I reckon when someday bikes evolve to be more like this i'll be there saying "i fookin said it didn't i? hah, now who thinks its a bad idea!"

this topic is silly , but cool :)

What about a bottom bracket that comes combined with freewheel? Like how echp has stuck some big bearing on the outside of their new bb, why not use that to put in a ratchet and pawl system too?

Hmm... :shifty:

bmx sized bb, with internal freehub or something that would be good .. maybe :turned:

I think its a great idea, but probably not worth while

When I first looked I thought, "why not have the wheel built as normal, with the outer rim shizzle ontop?"

So your fixed cog wheel built as normal, but then a layer of bearings and the outer rim on top?

Meh my thoughts, think it would be good, just not for trials :(